OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Optics > Binoculars
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

samplelist

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: samplelist
    Posted: December/29/2006 at 15:24
Anybody try the www.samplelist.com products, link from SWFA?

Do you get warranties with those? Mostly rifle scopes some binoculars.
Stephanie View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper
Optics Goddess

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stephanie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/29/2006 at 15:29
They are all different. Which items are you looking at?
Tero View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/29/2006 at 21:03
For instance Zeiss 10x25 near the bottom of the Zeiss list. The Pentax new in box items, which should have warranty, and maybe the 8x30 Swarovski, though I am a bit short of 800 right now. 
Tero View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/30/2006 at 10:15
Actually, there is mention of trade. I might be able to scrape together enough for the 8x30 Swarowski. They have Warranty?
FrankD View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FrankD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/03/2007 at 07:16

Tero,

You ready to make the big leap?

Frank
Tero View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/03/2007 at 09:52

Actually, no. I am still in search of my ultimate binocular. I think it will be an 10x40, unless someon decides to make a 9x40 or 9x32.

Meanwhile, I am not all that happy with my 8x32, will replace it with some mid price model with wide fov. Not the 400 ft of the Swarovski, but close.

I have a little harder time distinguishing a good model from a very good model at 8x as far as sharpness goes.

FrankD View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FrankD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/03/2007 at 10:37
Originally posted by Tero Tero wrote:

Meanwhile, I am not all that happy with my 8x32, will replace it with some mid price model with wide fov. Not the 400 ft of the Swarovski, but close.

Are we talking about a more expensive 8x32 model or something else entirely?

Frank
Tero View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/03/2007 at 12:16
EO 8x32.
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/03/2007 at 13:18
Steiner makes a couple of 9x40 porros: Big Horn (fairly inexpensive) and optically excellent Nighthunter XP.

If you want wide field of view, I've heard good things about Stokes DLS 8x42 and Vortex Razor 8x42, as well as Meopta 7x42.

ILya
Bird Watcher View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bird Watcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/03/2007 at 13:40
Tero,

Have you looked at the Minox binoculars?

HG 8x33 BR asph

BD 8x32 BR asph

BL 8x32 BR

Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bird Watcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/03/2007 at 13:53
Ilya,

Are the 9x Steiners you mentioned older models?

Their specifications sheet does not show any 9x binoculars, and it does not show any Big Horn models.

koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/03/2007 at 14:00
I have not checked on that recently.  You are right, Steiner website does not show the 9x40 models.  Roy Finn knows some people at Steiner so he may be able to shed some light on this.

ILya
Tero View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/03/2007 at 14:18
The Steiners are out, they are individual focus. But I will look at them some day just to see the optics.
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bird Watcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/03/2007 at 15:07
Out of all the models listed by Steiner on their spec.sheet there are 23 binoculars that are center focus.

Edited by Bird Watcher
Tero View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/03/2007 at 17:45
an ad on the net
The Steiner 9x40 binoculars are a high-quality, all-purpose binoculars They offer 9x magnification and a 40mm lens for exceptional brightness for a field of view of 300 feet at 1,000 yards. These binoculars feature an exclusive one-time focusing system that, once set, keeps views sharp from 30 yards to infinity.

They are individual focus.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic