OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Advice on on Burris Fullfield 2- newbie

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote osuarchitect Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Advice on on Burris Fullfield 2- newbie
    Posted: December/28/2006 at 12:17

Hey all,

I have been reading this forum for about a week now and I think I found the right scope, for me.  I was about to buy a burris fullfield 2 from swfa as I have bought a scopes here before and was very happy with the process, until I stumbled on a burris fullfield 2 new in box for $150 shipped.  I will not tell the source so SWFA doesn't lose any money but I would like your opinion on the scope.  I searched around the site and most people think its the best scope for the money, but does anyone actually own one that can chime in?  How does it compare with other scopes in the $1-200 range?  I thought about getting a BSA sweet 22 but decided against it after seeing all of the bad press everyone gave BSA, so does the Burris come out ahead of the BSA?  I'm using it on a custom Ruger 10/22, the sum of parts is not important but the only stock part left is the receiver.  I love the rifle and want to use it for small varmint/game and target.  I have a walmart "quality" scope on it now and it doesn't do the rifle justice.  Most of my shooting takes place at 50-75 yards.  Any advice or guidance would be appreciated.

Also I have a bushamster custom V-Match rifle that is begging for a new scope.  Would I be correct in thinking that the super sniper 10X would be a good match?  Most of my shooting with this is varmint/targets at 2-300yds.

-Edit-Also what are good rings for my ruger 10/22?  I checked the burris mounting ht's and it says I can get away with low but will I have any problems with my heavy bull barrel?  Are the burris rings the way to go?

Edited by osuarchitect
medic52 View Drop Down
Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote medic52 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/28/2006 at 13:04

I own a Burris FF11 4.5X14 it sits on a CZ 527 17 Varmiter. I personally am VERY HAPPY with it. I have hauled it to many PD towns and always take it and shoot on paper before I hunt, I have never had to adjust the zero and the quality of the glass is exceptional. I have owned a BSA and all I can say is NEVER AGAIN......my 2 cents

"The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him." G.K. Chesterton
Tip69 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Tip Stick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tip69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/28/2006 at 13:27

I put one on my kids 22-250 and its ok.  I wish I had gotten a Signature Select instead, but didn't have the extra $$ at the time.  I think the ones they made in the USA are better than the new ones.  Ours seems a little distorted at the edges.  When we upgrade, will move the FFII to a rimfire..... probably to a .17HMR.

If you can't go with the SS, for $150, you can't go wrong with the FFII.

take em!
osuarchitect View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote osuarchitect Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/28/2006 at 15:05
Thanks guys.  Does anyone have advice on rings?
.41Dave View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote .41Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/29/2006 at 04:34
My daughter's deer rifle has a Burris FF II, I compared it side-by-side with a Leupold VX II that used to be on my deer rifle, and the Burris compared favorably.

As for rings, Leupold, Warne, Talley, Burris, etc. There are lots of good rings available. I use Leupold.
OK hunter View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OK hunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/29/2006 at 11:32

Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I think the new FFII's are built in the Philipines.  I'm wondering if that is why the price is being seen dropping.  I've seen them advertised for less than what you stated but I prefer to buy my scopes on SWFA as they are a great company and are providing this forum for us.  I figure it's worth $20 or so per scope to me to have the level of expertise found on this forum available to me.

I own 3 FFII's and find them very capable scopoes.  No issues at all.  As for rings, I love burris signature rings and for weaver mounts I prefer Warne rings.  I've not tried the burris Zee rings but don't see why they wouldn't be as good as their turn ins.  I hope this helps.

Longhunter View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Longhunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/29/2006 at 22:24

The Burris FFII is one of the best buys on the market.  I replaced a Leupold Vari-X III with one, and never looked back.  The Burris was a distinct improvement in both brightness and field of view.  I also like the Burris fast-focus eyepiece, though not everyone agrees on this.

I use Burris rings on .22 rifles, and they work fine. 

Edited by Longhunter
osuarchitect View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote osuarchitect Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/02/2007 at 21:19
Well, I have the scope and sighted it in today.  The scope seems to be very good optics wise, clear lens and fairly bright, but I am experiencing severe parallax at 50-75 yards if I crank the scope up to 9X.  I am also having trouble getting the reticle to focus. I am going to mess with the eye piece to see if I can get it to focus a little better.  It seemed to track right but I really don't think its exactly right.  I suppose it could have been the rifle but it was clamped in a rest and re-zero'd after everyshot.  I'm hoping I can get the bugs worked out...we shall see.  More to come.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic