OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Optics > Binoculars
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Looking for opinions on some 10x

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ahuebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/05/2007 at 08:44

I thought I'd give a little update even though I haven't been able to field test them yet.

So far I am impressed with the vortex. I like their warranty & customer service, their packaging, the focus (had no issues with stiffness), the overall look and feel. The construction as a whole is superior (IMO). The right eye focus is done by pulling back on the center focus know, as opposed to the minox which is at the right eye twist up.

The Minox is sleek, small, and light, which is nice. Looking through them at 10pm around areas partially lit by streetlights, the Minox may have been slightly brighter but I don't know that it is fair to say much right now without field testing them.

If the Minox turn out to be clearly an optical superior to the vortex, I will probably go with them, but if it is close, I will have a hard time turning the Vortex away.

Although there was one other issue I was suprised to see. My package had been on my back patio for a few hours and it was somewhat cool (low 50s). When I brought them in and opened them, the front lenses on the minox fogged up considerably. The votex did some but not nearly as much. Not sure if that is normal or not. It won't be too cold this weekend but it should be cold enough to test the fog resistance.

**Edit: I left a message at Minox USA and they called me back regarding the fog issue. I did not realize the whole fog "proof" characteristic only applies to the inside of the lenses. I still don't know why the Vortex, subjected to the same temperature changes, did not fog (or did so minimally).

Edited by ahuebel
ahuebel View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ahuebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/07/2007 at 18:56

I have decided to keep the Vortex Razors. Optically, the vortex razor 10x42 and the minox HG 10x43 were extremely close. If I had to pick an optically superior binocular I guess I would say the minox HG but I have a feeling given to 10 different people to view and decide, the choice would be split. Here are a few personal opinions that made my decision

Vortex:

1. Optically almost identical

2. Lifetime unconditional warranty

3. Tethered objective lens caps

4. Seemed more rugged/well built

5. Twist-up eye cups went out further and had more intermediate points. This wasn't a major thing but it seemed the further out the better I saw.

6. 70.00 cheaper than HG

Minox HG:

1. Lighter and smaller which made them easier to carry

2. Optically, perhaps slightly crisper images

3. Focus knob was smoother (although both were easily turnable)

Cons:

1. Prefered the right eye focus of the vortex (although this is a minor point)

2. Did not have objective lens covers

3. No unconditional warranty

With both binoculars I was able to see during twilight hours... even by moonlight

birdhunter View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote birdhunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/08/2007 at 08:48
Where did you buy the Vortex at?  I haven't heard about these.  I had a pair of Minox in 8x32 and loved them for their size and weight and I thought they were very clear for the money.  What kind of accessories come with the Vortex.  Where is their factory located at in the US?  I have been looking at the big 3 (Leica, Swarovski, Zeiss and the Nikon LX L) and I have yet to make up my mind.  I am looking at something either new or used for under $1000.  Thanks
Birdhunter
ahuebel View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ahuebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/08/2007 at 09:47

Vortex's factory is in wisconsin I believe and I have spoken with them on the phone a couple of times. Very personable and really seem to tout their warranty. The vortex came with a couple more accessories than did the Minox. Aside from the carrying case, they had a silk lens cloth and some extra twist up pieces with degrees on them (not sure what that is for exactly). I bought both from binoculars.com and the guy I talked to threw in the vortex harness for free. Actually he originally threw in a zuhmell (spelling?) harness, but after I decided to go with vortex as one of my options, I asked for the vortex harness and so I ended up getting both harnesses (and a return shipping label). So this weekend a hunting buddy and I kept trading off binoculars, testing them out. We both came to the same conclusion, him moreso for the price alone (which was actually less than 10% but still it is a factor).

Don't get me wrong, the Minox 10x43 HGs were very nice, just comparatively I couldn't select them over the vortex for the reasons listed above. They may even be optically better but it is so marginal, with all things considered, I prefered the vortex razor.

The one thing I wouldn't have minded was to compare some 8x42 to the 10x42 for reasons some mentioned in previous posts. I am quite happy with the 10x so far and was quite pleased with the clarity and the stability, due to the extra weight, of the vortex. 

RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/08/2007 at 17:29
Originally posted by ahuebel ahuebel wrote:

Vortex's factory is in wisconsin I believe

Correct, their sales, service, and design group are in Middleton, WI, manufacturing in Japan.  I agree with you concerning their people -- I've talked with them on several occasions, and they couldn't have been more helpful or friendly (specifically Tim).  This gave me a good feeling about their lifetime warranty, as any warranty is only as good as the people backing it up.

Aside from the carrying case, they had a silk lens cloth and some extra twist up pieces with degrees on them (not sure what that is for exactly).

Those are the optional eyecups with side shields to block stray light from the side, improving perceived brightness.  They work well, but I found their shape to be a bit uncomfortable -- to me.  Plus the rainguard doesn't fit the side shield eyecups very well, so I stayed with the standard eyecups.  The degrees markings are just reference marks for rotating both eyecups at the same angle and remembering what angle fits your eye socket the best.

Don't get me wrong, the Minox 10x43 HGs were very nice, just comparatively I couldn't select them over the vortex for the reasons listed above. They may even be optically better but it is so marginal, with all things considered, I prefered the vortex razor.  The one thing I wouldn't have minded was to compare some 8x42 to the 10x42 for reasons some mentioned in previous posts. I am quite happy with the 10x so far and was quite pleased with the clarity and the stability, due to the extra weight, of the vortex. 

You couldn't go wrong with either binocular.

Pertaining to the 8X42 vs. 10X42 comparison, as stated earlier, if brightness is very important to you, remember, with any given binocular of the same objective lens diameter, the 8X version of that binocular will be brighter than the 10X, due to the larger exit pupil (not to mention, the 8X will have wider FOV).  As far as brightness is concerned, my Razor 8X42 is as bright as any comparable bino I've seen.

Enjoy!

Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic