OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Swarovski Z6!!!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Swarovski Z6!!!
    Posted: December/27/2006 at 15:04
Z6 – More field of view, more flexibility and more safety for the hunter 

Cranston, Rhode Island - Swarovski Optik announces a new reality in riflescopes. The Austrian based company has announced its first riflescope with a 6 times zoom factor. This new generation of riflescope technology from Swarovski Optik, called the Z6, demonstrates an entire new era in optics.

The Z6 from Swarovski Optik is ground-breaking technology as this marks the first time such a unique magnification range has been developed- the world’s first 6 times zoom in a 30mm riflescope.

Swarovski Optik has been setting the standard for performance and design for years and the new Z6 will set yet another standard for others to shoot for. The Z6 scopes have achieved significant improvements in eye relief without compromising Field of View. The field of view has increased by nearly 50% in some models, while the significant increase in eye relief also ensures the shooter a much higher level of safety and comfort.

The illuminated versions offer an innovative reticle illumination construction, which has an ergonomic design providing an unrestricted view over the riflescope. With the Z6i models, the High Grid technology is built into the eyepiece for the best possible reticle illumination, well protected by a sturdy forged aluminium housing and is completely watertight. The new riflescopes have a wide choice of reticles in the second image plane, which means that only the target is enlarged when changing the magnification and not the reticle itself. This makes aiming considerably easier.

The new 30mm Z6 scopes will be available in 1-6x24, 1.7-10x42 and 2-12x50. The non-illuminated version of the scope will begin to ship in January with the illuminated version to follow in the spring of 2007. They will also be available in the Swarovski Rail. 

Edited by Chris Farris
mwyates View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mwyates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/27/2006 at 16:19
I don't get it.  FOV at 10X is 12.6ft.  On the Kahles CL 3-10X50 FOV is 12 ft.  Not much difference there.  Eye relief is 3.74in vs. 3.6in.  Not much difference there.  Sure, you can go down to 1.7X, but who cares?  What's the point in a 6X zoom?  Can you really do anything with a 1.7-10 that your can't with a 3-10?  I think not.  I think Swaro is hurting in rifle scope sales.  Kahles is bound to be putting a good whoopin' on them with the CL. 
www.technika.nu View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote www.technika.nu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/27/2006 at 16:40

The point of those scopes are in the low magnification range.

So for the 1,7-10X the adventage is on the low magnification, on the high like the 10X it's essentially the same as the other ones.

In my opinion this is the greatest scope invention since 1922.............

Regards Technika

mwyates View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mwyates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/27/2006 at 17:35
What good is 1.7X in a scope that goes to 10X?  I've been hunting a long time, usually with a 3-9 or 2.5-8, and there's never, ever, been a single instance where I thought "Man, I wish my scope went down to 1.7X".  Now, I don't hunt cape buff, but nobody's gooing to hunt them with a 1.7-10X.  Maybe the 1-6, but how much better is that than 1.5-6?  None, in the real world.  I've shot deer at  less than 15 yds with 3X and while it's not ideal, it works.  6X zoom is a gimmick; and a very high priced one, I'll bet.
Narrow Gap View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Narrow Gap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/27/2006 at 19:42
mwyates, I agree with you. There are a whole lot of scopes on the market now that are getting the job done even though they don't have a 6X erector lens system. I thought maybe Swarovski was coming out with a new product that was going to be way better than the Zeiss Diavari or S&B Zenith in low light and I was wondering how they would do that and I was hoping they could do that.
Henry455 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Henry455 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/27/2006 at 19:42
 "Correction of point of impact per click"  ".36 ft/100 yds" , I assume that is a misprint.
Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/27/2006 at 20:37

Originally posted by mwyates mwyates wrote:

6X zoom is a gimmick; and a very high priced one, I'll bet.

Of course, if Leupold developed this it would be deemed as the sententious equivalent of discovering life forms on Mars. 

Edited by Roy Finn
Okiecocker View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Okiecocker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/27/2006 at 21:34

Can someone who's more knowledgeable about this subject please explain to me what Swarovski is gaining by going to a 6X erector vs. their 4x that's in their PH line.  Is it just that you can go to a lower magnification and still have a higher magnification on the upper end?  I can't possibly see that being that important or useful for that matter.  Is this swarovski's marketing machine at work, or is there really a place for it?  Maybe I'm just missing something.

mwyates View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mwyates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/27/2006 at 22:05

I think Swaro's "marketing machine" is up there with Leupold's.  For years they've had lots of people believing their binocs are far and away the best.

Roy, you might have noticed I haven't said a word about the VX-7, or whatever it is.  Wouldn't that have been the perfect opportunity proclaim "life on Mars"?  I don't think that way.  I'll wait and see what's what.  It just that marketing jive from Swaro posted above is pretty transparent if you look at the facts.

Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/27/2006 at 22:12
I was just funnin with ya Mike. Actually, I am very hopeful of the new VX7. Not saying that I would buy one, just hopeful that they can and probably will be spectacular.
mwyates View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mwyates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/28/2006 at 05:53
I doubt I'll buy a VX-7 or a Z6.  It will be interesting to see what they are like.  I did see the first ad for the VX-7 yesterday.  It was all about bigger, better, faster, too.
Trinidad View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trinidad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/28/2006 at 15:18

Originally posted by Roy Finn Roy Finn wrote:

I was just funnin with ya Mike. Actually, I am very hopeful of the new VX7. Not saying that I would buy one, just hopeful that they can and probably will be spectacular.

Great post Roy, exellent info on the Z6. Well I have seen a 6x erector before but not on a 30MM scope and I am very curious if there is going to be any glass change. I like the 2-12 configuration by the specs. I will be looking to check these out in the near future,not super exited though. As far as the VX7 is concerned it just appears as a joke so far to me.

Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote www.technika.nu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/28/2006 at 20:44

Almost all scopes today with a 3 or 4X exector are not very usefull on the lowest setting.

Often for example a 3-12 can be used as a 4-12 as the last 3X only gives a tunneleffect and no gained FOV.

The 1,7-10 does have a wider FOV than a 1,5-6 and is therefor more versalite than the 1,5-6 is.

For a hunter thas rarely or never hunt with less magnification than 4-6X this new series of scopes is not worth much, but for all of us who hunt a lot on driven game the 1-7x10 sounds like a very practical scope.

I shoot more game on the move than I shoot standing and I am today using mainly aimpoint or iron sights for that.

If I will be placed on somewhere there the shots can be long I am swithing to a SuB 3-12x42.

If I had the 1-7x10 or maybe the 1-6 I wouldent need to switch anything at all, everything would be covered in one scope.

In my point of view the Z6 is a winner, and it would at least here in Europe drastically slow down the sales for the other high end makers.

Regards Technika

Trinidad View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trinidad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/29/2006 at 01:25

Great points Hakan. I am currently using a 2.5-10x56 S&B for hunting and I like that scope very much. I compared the glass to both the Swarovski PV and the Zeiss T* non-lotu-tec and feel that it is brighter and better made than both. My question is, has the glass improved on the Z6 compared to the PV?

Bender View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/29/2006 at 04:44

I think that these scopes are great-especially 1-6x24-small,compact extra large fow for brush hunting,but with enough power for longer shots.These new scopes also have "American style"reticle that doesen't change with the magnification-also very good for quick shots-because on older models the reticle on the lowest power setting was very thin and unsuitable for fast target aquisation.If you got thicker reticle like circle dot it was unusable for longer precise shots. This innovation isn't much on paper but I think it is great in real world. Notice that they removed that eyepiece with absorber-it was great but it failed from time to time-it is broken on my 1,5-6x42(it has some play, and I'm waiting for the season to end to send it to Swarovski).

Just my 0,02$

Cheers and happy holidays

mwyates View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mwyates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/29/2006 at 07:50
I guess I look at it differently.  If I'm in the woods and may facea running shot, I don't want to just turn the power down on the scope; I want a different rifle with a different scope in a different caliber. 
ceylonc View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ceylonc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/29/2006 at 08:04

Originally posted by mwyates mwyates wrote:

I guess I look at it differently.  If I'm in the woods and may facea running shot, I don't want to just turn the power down on the scope; I want a different rifle with a different scope in a different caliber. 

+1 Me too.

Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote www.technika.nu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/29/2006 at 09:22

Different hunting oppertunities have different demands on the equipment.

On the same hunting day when hunting driven game I can have a post with maximum 20 yards shots at, and two ours later be in a high stand with 250 yards open field where animals might come slow and easy.

When I go out for a night hunt or long range hunting I normally have a 6,5 Ackley Imp, with a ZF6-24X72 on, but I prefer not to have more than one gun with me at a time.

Becuase if I get a gun stolen out of my car while using the other gun, all my permits will likely be withdrawn and I will not be allowed to handle a gun for five years........

SVD

I have no information about the glass used on Z6.

Regards Technika

Bender View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/29/2006 at 10:25

It depends on what you hunt - wild boar hunting is quite specific and it is popular around here-there are many different terrains and you are sometimes in heavy,thick brush and shoot at 1-10m,sometimes in woods where you shoot up to 50-60m,and sometimes you shoot on the other hill up to 200-250m,and you have to hunt with what you've got. I think this scope would be great for this kind of hunt,not for stand hunting at night,or taking out varmints at 300m.

OK hunter View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OK hunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/29/2006 at 11:19

Okie,

I'm sort of in the same boat you are.  I don't know what application drove this product.  I have to assume that Swarovski's customer base is fairly affluent and will respond to a new offering favorably.  Time will tell.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic