OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

LEOPOLD Rifleman vs Nikon Buckmaster

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TICTAC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: LEOPOLD Rifleman vs Nikon Buckmaster
    Posted: December/27/2006 at 06:46

I bought a new 270 WSM which came with a cheap Simmons scope on it, and I am looking to upgrade my scope. The simmons scope was a 3 x 9 x 40. I bought a Leopold Rifleman 3 x 9 x 50, thinking that I would be very happy. It turns out that the light difference is great and it is a very clear scope, but the field of view is a whole lot better on the cheap simmons scope. This didn't make any sense to me, so I started researching different scopes to find better field of views on different scopes. What I found was discrepancies on every different website about the actual field of views for the same scopes. I want a good scope for the money, but I also would like a good field of view and a very bright view. I am looking for a 50 mm objective lens and need to know which scope to get. Now I am debating between a fiew different scopes. The leopold which I bought, the nikon buckmaster 3 x 9 x 50, a nikon monarch 3.5 x 10 x 50, or if anyone has better recommendations for under $350 please tell me. But can anyone explain why the cheep simmons I got has a better field of view than any of these other scopes, and can I find a scope that has the good lighting capability but still a comparable field of view. Please help me. Thank you

Toby

cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/27/2006 at 08:57

Easy as .....TIC TAC TOE......Buckmaster!!

Welcome to the OT!!

If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/27/2006 at 09:04
I agree the fov for the buckmaster is better
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
rogn View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rogn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/27/2006 at 09:31
Ive got one of each type but hty are both 2-7x32?, buckmaster and rifleman, so the comparison is not perfect. However Ill echo the popular opinion. Little choice, get the Nikon.
TICTAC View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TICTAC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/27/2006 at 11:12
Is there a huge difference between the nikon buckmaster and the nikon monarch? Is it necessary to spend the extra  $100 to get the monarch, because the price differences are $299 for the 3x9x50 buckmaster and $399 for the 3.5x10x50 monarch.
TICTAC View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TICTAC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/27/2006 at 11:16
And what about if I throw the Bushnell 4200 Elite 2.5x10x40 into the mix. It is also $399, but would only have a 40 mm objective lens. Would I still be happier with getting the 50 mm one that both the buckmaster or the monarch have.
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/27/2006 at 11:26
remember that the higher the scopes power the less light it lets in at its highest power, now matter if it is a 40mm or a 50mm
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Tip69 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Tip Stick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tip69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/27/2006 at 13:57

4200 Elite has better glass!  I would rather have better glass in a 40mm than lesser glass in a 50mm.  To answer your Buck vs. Monarch question........ some would say yes..... others would say no.  That's a question only you can answer.  One thing is for sure, its hard to make a decision by looking at them in a store.  You really need to compare them side by side in the field....... at low light if possible!  That is where the "better" quality will show itself.

I have an older Buckmaster 3-9X40 and I would like to upgrade, but I really don't shoot enough to follow thru.  If I ever make a committment to praire dog hunting, I will get a better scope.  Not sure what that scope will be, but something better than a Buckmaster!

take em!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/27/2006 at 16:10
Monarch is better than the Monarch AND worth the extra $$$.
mwyates View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mwyates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/27/2006 at 16:21

"Monarch is better than the Monarch AND worth the extra $$$"

And the 4200 is better than the 4200, too!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sorry, cheap, couldn't resist

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/27/2006 at 16:26
Originally posted by mwyates mwyates wrote:

"Monarch is better than the Monarch AND worth the extra $$$"

And the 4200 is better than the 4200, too!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sorry, cheap, couldn't resist

Ah heck!!

Monarch's better than the BM.....You guys know what I meant!! 

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic