OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Swarovski 6x18x50 with TDS Plex

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pooreyes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Swarovski 6x18x50 with TDS Plex
    Posted: December/25/2006 at 08:47

Merry Christmas everyone

OK as most of you know I have been lookng at this scope along with a few others to put on my 308, or my 270..... After getting the scope and looking at the TDS charts I went ahead and placed the scope on my 270. I had high rings already on there from the springfield scope. i took the scope to the table after getting it close I found that I couldnt get it to rasie any more.

I called Swarovski and talked to Rob. He told me I should have more adjustment, to take it back to the bottom and count the clicks and make sure I had 188 clicks up (from the bottom). So I did. I had 170 clicks, then it was tight, But I didnt bottom it out. I took it to 180 thats all it would go, I didnt want to break the spring. So I went out and bought a set of low rings.......... They wouldnt work !!!!!!!!!! they were to low for a 50mm tube !!!!!!!!. So I went and bought a med. set

I took the gun and scope back to the table after a 6 hour shooting marathon and 3 boxs of shells, I was unable to get this scope to group.... I would shoot a tree group shot then let the gun cool 15 mintues or until the barrel was cool to the inside skin of my wrist. So now I am out 4 box's of shells, two sets of mounts, a day and a half of hunting. I planned my Vacation on this hunt and I striped my 270 down to get it ready for this scope.

Befor you ask or say it.....NO, ITS NOT THE GUN !!!!!!!!!!!!. This is the same gun that would wrap a quarter up with a 3 shot group at 200 yards and I could make all three shots touch each other. Same shells, same shooter, just a different scope. So I called Rob back at Swarovski. (BTW the people at Swarovski are the most helpful I have ever dealt with) I told him what was going on, we talked for about half hour. He told me I could send it back he would check it out. And if it was the scope he would send me a new one... After I read all the good things and the only bad thing on here about the Swarovski scope, I never felt or even dreamed that I would run into so much trouble with this scope. Yes, I know sometimes there will be a bad apple in the box.

I did get some Info I wanted to share with you on the theory of the wired TDS scope. I asked Rob about that. He said NO TDS scope from Swarovski has a wired Reticle..... All TDS scopes in the AV and PH are etched glass.... I said really? I understood that they were wired in all the AV modles. He said no and he had a AV TDS glass paper weigh on his desk and he was looking at it... So Going on what he has told me all TDS scopes are etched glass and not wired.... I told Rob I read a few post on this site saying that the TDS was a wire. He said he hadn't heard of this site. I told him to check it out... seeing this forum talks so highly of your scopes. He said he would and he would let everyone know the same info about the TDS...

Yes, I am unhappy with my scope as of now, but I am sure after we find out what is going on with it. I will be very pleased.. I can and did see a huge difference at low light. WOW !!!!!!!!

Ok... what is wrong with my scope???? Well I can get it group a nice tight three shoot group at 100 yards....BUT wait I can't turn the magnification from 18 back to 12 then turn it right back to 18 and I have to start all over again, one shot will be 6 to 8 inchs high, the next one close to center, or 4 inches low. I cant get three shots the same with out starting over. After I get the scope grouping again I am good to go untill I turn it down or up. Now I know it will be a little diffrent from going to 8,10, or 12 from 18 power......BUT it shouldnt be that far off after going back to 18

If anyone has any info on this or knows of anything I might try before I send it back,,, Please I am all ears !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ceylonc View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ceylonc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/25/2006 at 11:07

Merry Christmas to you!

Sorry to hear about the problems with the Swaro.  Based my experience, ANY problem with a Swarovski out-of-the-box is a rarity.  They have a well deserved reputation for an outstanding product but issues such as yours can and occasionally do occur.

I can't really comment on the specific problem you're experiencing but I will say that Swarovski will take very good care of you.  I hate that this is going to interfere with your hunt but rest assured that you are going to enjoy many more hunts where that scope will more than live up to it's hype.

Narrow Gap View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Narrow Gap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/25/2006 at 15:05

Pooreyes, My only guess as to what your problem could possibly be is that the Swarovski 6-18X50 TDS is in a inch tube and there is no way to guarantee the point of impact will not change with a 1 inch tube scope. The point of impact still should not change in a high quality scope in 1 inch tube like the Swarovski you have but there is always that possibility it could happen because the reticle is in the 2nd focal plane. Any scope that has a first focal plane reticle you never have to worry about point of impact changing as you change magnification. The Swarovski PH, Schmidt Bender, and Zeiss Diavari all have first focal plane reticles. First Focal plane reticle scopes is the only guarantee you will never have a point of impact change as you change magnification.Hopefully Swarovski will find the problem quick and you can be in business again. Sorry for rambling on about this topic!

pooreyes View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pooreyes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/25/2006 at 15:57

Great point NG....... but, thats not it... or so we think.  Rob and I talked about that. Yes, I understand the change from going above the first plane. Rob said when I went above power 10 it would change.  That's why I sighted it in on the high end (18) after trying it on 12 and 6.  I went straight back to 18 before I adjusted it and at 18, it was still way off.

Rob told me to adjust the AO and the range finder on the front end to help with the 2nd plane ... Thanks so far for the help guys!  

Edited by pooreyes
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/25/2006 at 16:52
The scope seems to be faulty (I am assuming it is mounted properly).  Send it back to the manufacturer and have them check it out.

Whether point of impact changes or does not change has absolutely nothing to do with the tube diameter.  With SFP vs FFP, yes FFP will always maintain the same point of impact when you change magnification.  If a SFP scope is functioning properly, it should also maintain the same point o fimpact when you change magnification.  Every well made scope should be able to maintain point of impact when you change magnification whether the reticle is in the first or second focal plane.  That's why you pay the money to get a scope from a good maker.

ILya
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic