OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Varmint Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

sweet 17

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CD82 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: sweet 17
    Posted: December/23/2006 at 21:26

hello im new here   and looking for some info. i just bought a Savage Model 93R17-F 17hmr  and seen the BSA Sweet 17 scops.  are thease scopes worth the money i seen they have the  clcik for bullet drop an such. and the one for 120$ is the one i can afford.   i will be doing alot of small varmit hunting with this rifle an target shooting. any other suggestions   something that has like the   sweet 17 scope    the yardage zoom at the end an such 

ok  well  i dont  think ill get the bsa scope after some reviews. out of 2 scopes  for my Savage 17hmr ive chosen the 

http://www.riflescopes.com/products/713510/bushnell_3.5-10x3 6_banner_dusk_dawn_rifle_scope.htm    or the 

http://www.riflescopes.com/products/716244/bushnell_6-24x40_ banner_dusk_dawn_rifle_scope.htm .

im going to do alot of varmint hunting what whould be the best  one  to buy. they are the only 2 i can really afford an ive had good luck with bushnell scopes. ive got one on my 22 and its very very accurte   its a sportsman  3x9x40. never had any  toruble with it  at all  good and clear for  60$ scope.

Edited by CD82
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/24/2006 at 10:38
welcome!! my question is how much do you want to spend?
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
CD82 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CD82 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/24/2006 at 12:53

hey thanks for the welcome    130$ is about my limit   on them.    so whats some  info on the  2 im looking at here? about the bushnell   3.5x10  the bushnessl special 17 scope whats  some in fo on that anyone have one.  is the dial on top for the bullet drop  for targets  could it be used for  varmint hunting? 

CD82 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CD82 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/25/2006 at 16:40
well anyone ???? 
exhogflyer View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote exhogflyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/26/2006 at 21:38

Wow, I can almost hear all the moans and groans on this one.Let me tell you my personal experience on this rifle....

I too recently purchased a nice Savage stainless thumbhole stock model in 17 HMR.Not wanting to spend a ton on a scope and thinking "it's only a rimfire" I purchased and mounted up a BSA Sweet 17 scope.....looked nice and seemed clear.Off to the range I go on a nice sunny afternoon for some fun.Well, after about 50 rounds down the pipe I determined A) point of impact very hard to adjust due to the turrets not being precise and POI wandering left,right, up, down and NOT coinciding with what the clicks SHOULD indicate B) HORRIBLY unclear image on max magnification..dim...fuzzy SO......

I have since removed the BSA and mounted a Burris Fullfield II 4.5-14x42...little more money but WAY better glass.....my advice to you is don't waste your money on the BSA.

State Arms Rebel .50 BMG
sorry, couldn't hear your shot
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/26/2006 at 22:03
I would not be looking for high magnification inexpensive scopes.  It is quite a bit harder to make a high magnificaiton scope.  In this price range I would stay with something fairly basic: a 3-9x40 or thereabouts.

Sightron S1 3-9x40 will work well for you, as will Bushnell Trophy 3-9x40.

However, if you ar willing to stretch your budget just a little, get a Burris Fullfield II 3-9x40 with Ballitic Plex reticle for a just a bit under $200.

ILya

CD82 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CD82 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/27/2006 at 00:15

the bsa is   no good  i looked through it a seccond time at academy. and  it was nasty lookin  i couldnt get a clear view of nothing it was all hazy and nasty.

now i have a reg ol bushnell  on my 22  and it does the job for the  22.  since i now have a 17hmr im looking towards a bit better scope. id like some info on the Bushnell 6-24x40 Banner Dusk Dawn rifle scope anyone know much about thease?

CD82 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CD82 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/29/2006 at 12:34
well ok  heh 
CD82 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CD82 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/05/2007 at 00:20
i guess this post can be deleted  
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/05/2007 at 02:04

Originally posted by koshkin koshkin wrote:

However, if you ar willing to stretch your budget just a little, get a Burris Fullfield II 3-9x40 with Ballitic Plex reticle for a just a bit under $200.

ILya

Good advise here.

Some more advise....Check out the "search function" if your not getting the answers you want, instead of being a wise ass.

If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
CD82 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CD82 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/05/2007 at 10:36

i did use the serch function  and no info  i was looking for thats why i posted. i searched  all forums for  Bushnell 6-24x40 Banner Dusk Dawn couple of times also for  there  othere scope.   now i was NOT  intending on beeing a wise ass in any post  i am familure with  forums an  the search so.      yeah that might be good advice  and  yes i did look at the scope but i cant afford it an ive looked at  bushnell scopes  in sporting good stores. ive never looked through a Burris and no one around here handls them. im not saying they  aint good  but i think i made my choice on scopes is all. i was just  trying to find out about more info  on the 2 scopes  i encveh googled them an  manily got directed to  the bushnell home page. where there is just small wrtie up  on the scope not much info at all. i stated earler on in the thread  that 130$ is about my limit. 

Edited by CD82
medic52 View Drop Down
Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote medic52 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/05/2007 at 12:26
I too owned a BSA, not anymore. For your price range the bushnell is a better option, also I have heard alot of good reports on a scope by Mueller in the same price range.
"The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him." G.K. Chesterton
CD82 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CD82 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/05/2007 at 12:52

well ive decided agenst teh BSA after looking through it a second tiem as i stated in an earlier post. it just didnt suite me    it wasnt clear it was nasty lookin.  ill have a look at this Mueller  how is that specil  17hmr/22 scope bushnell has. is it any good is also in the  dusk dawn section  the 17 bullet drop is that for paper punching and small varmits or any long range shot.

a buddy has a Savage 17hmr  exactly like mine   an hes got a cheap scope on it and i was with him one night and at 125 yards he droped a  coyote dead in its tracks.  infact he was using the federal ammunition  and it blew the coyotes heart out.   an he was jsut using a cheap tasco 3x9 scope    i hate them thigns lol.

cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/05/2007 at 15:13

Sorry about the wise ass comment.

If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
CD82 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CD82 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/05/2007 at 19:31
its ok man i accept 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic