OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

New rifle, looking for scope

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crimsonking Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New rifle, looking for scope
    Posted: December/23/2006 at 13:41

I just ordered a 25-06 encore from bullberry, the rifle wont be finished until April so I have some time to shop around. My wife has given me $1200 spending limit for a scope, for this money what are my best options and why. This is a big step up in quality for me, my best scope currently is a bushy 3200 that sits on top of my ML.  How close is the Kahles CL to the Swarovski PH or the American.

Thanks,

Jeremie

cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/23/2006 at 14:11
Originally posted by crimsonking crimsonking wrote:

My wife has given me $1200 spending limit for a scope.

WOW!!

Lucky dog!! 

Welcome to The OT!!

crimsonking View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crimsonking Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/23/2006 at 14:25
yep, she's a keeper. she hunts herself so that helps
Tip69 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Tip Stick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tip69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/26/2006 at 19:15
what are you going to use the set-up for?
take em!
exhogflyer View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote exhogflyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/26/2006 at 21:27
  I have found that after a certain dollar amount there are diminishing returns vs. what you continue to spend. Now before there is a war I'm NOT saying that those 1000 dollar plus scopes are not worth it....just that it's REALLY hard to tell just exactly how much better they are.I have a rather extensive firearms collection and I don't believe in cheap glass, but for my money I have personally found the Zeiss conquest line tuff to beat even when compared to Swaro's and Schmidt.Yes, they are more money and you DO get what you pay for BUT being that a scope is a "sighting device" and NOT the WHOLE story in getting the bullet on target...sometimes there IS such a thing as overkill. By the way, what are you going to do with it?
State Arms Rebel .50 BMG
sorry, couldn't hear your shot
crimsonking View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crimsonking Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/27/2006 at 17:08

The rifle will be used for coyotes as well as deer. I like the Zeiss stuff, and have looked through a couple of them. The Kahles CL is also a scope I would like to look at but nobody close to me carries this line, if I went with the Kahles I would probably have to cross my fingures and hope for the best.

Thanks

mailman7707 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mailman7707 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/28/2006 at 17:45
I just put a Kahles Helia C 3-12x56 on my new Rem XCR .270. As with you, my last scope was a B&L Elite series scope. NO comparison! I started to go with the CL 3-10x50 (1" tube), but finally opted for the 30MM w/larger objective. Purchased this scope without ever looking though one, based on the testimonies of the fine optic oficionados on this website. You can uncross your fingers, because with Kahles, you will have one of the best!
Bowyer: In the face of adversity, one must endeavor to persevere!
abailey54 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote abailey54 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/28/2006 at 18:20

Hello Jeremie,

You want be disappointed in either a Kahles CL or a Kahles American Hunter. I have both and I also have a Zeiss Conquest which is probably the best buy for the money in the 500 range. The american is a little better than the conquest but I cant tell a lot of difference in my CL and my brothers Swaro Ph. The biggest difference is about 500 bucks. Ha ha. Good luck.

abailey54
rootmanslim View Drop Down
Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rootmanslim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/28/2006 at 18:34
Schmidt & Bender 4-16 varmint is available with preset dots out to 500 yards that will work well with the 25-06.Another great scope and cheaper is the 6.5-20X40mm Leupold. 50 and 56 mm scopes are a waste of time & $ unless you intend to hunt at night and they have poor cheek weld as well. If you handload use the Barnes Triple Shocks, there is simply no reason to use any other bullet today as they are the best there is.And all you whiners about cost...spare me... with diesel pushing $3.00/gal who can economize with el cheapo bullets?
Trinidad View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trinidad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/29/2006 at 03:53
Originally posted by crimsonking crimsonking wrote:

I just ordered a 25-06 encore from bullberry, the rifle wont be finished until April so I have some time to shop around. My wife has given me $1200 spending limit for a scope, for this money what are my best options and why. This is a big step up in quality for me, my best scope currently is a bushy 3200 that sits on top of my ML.  How close is the Kahles CL to the Swarovski PH or the American.

Thanks,

Jeremie

Well the Kales CL is far superior than the Swarovski AH and better than the Swarovski PH. Mailman7707 is stearing you the right way with a AMV coated Kahles and these models fit well within your budget,S&B and Zeiss VM/V scopes are really nice but are slightly over your budget. The Leupoldwell lets just say only a   will go this route.

Tip69 View Drop Down
Tip Stick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tip69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/29/2006 at 08:55
SVD666........... I thought we all agreed to "Play Nice" The Leupold bashing is REALLY getting old!
take em!
Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rootmanslim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/29/2006 at 10:26
Leupold bashing is not only stupid but wrong. I often wonder how many of the "experts" even own a Leupold. I have 2 2.5x alaskans, a 4x alaskan, a 6x alaskan,3 1-4s, a 6x M8, a 6.5-20x40, 2 3-9 VX IIs and a 2.5-8 VX III. With the exception of the M8 none have ever given any problem, are clear & bright and work fine in harsh conditions (NW Wyoming). The M8 I dropped off a cliff and broke the crosshair (yes it's an old timer). Leupold fixed it free in one week and even gave me a full spec sheet on windage and elevation limits.Many of the fancy euro scopes dont even have a guarantee equal to Leupold and cost much more. And yes I own 2 Zeiss and a Schmidt & Bender so I am aware of the alternatives. Snob appeal aside a 30-06 with a VX II 3-9 will work on anything in the lower 48 and leave a lot more money for ammo and outfitters.
Wally View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wally Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/29/2006 at 10:29

crimsonking,

How are you set up for binoculars?  If I were given that kind of budget, I think I would go for a decent scope, and a killer pair of binoculars!

Just a suggestion.................don't want to get you in hot water with the wife!

Steve

Trinidad View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trinidad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/29/2006 at 12:39

Originally posted by Tip69 Tip69 wrote:

SVD666........... I thought we all agreed to "Play Nice" The Leupold bashing is REALLY getting old!

Tip69 when a granddragon of the cult posts such as rootmanslim there really is no need to hold back how you feel. This bitch is not welcomed here I am realy surprised he managed to drag his ass and log on.

Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rootmanslim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/29/2006 at 13:03
Granddragon? Bitch? I'm glad to see that SVD has such a command of English. Just as an FYI... male canines are Dogs not Bitches. As to Granddragon well who knows...just the output of a mind that has sniffed too much Hoppes # 9 I suppose. Maybe someone can explain what a "cult post" is? Maybe some where where Manson followers lift their leg(s) to pee? But dare I point out that there were no facts in his babble? Just aurgumentum ad hominum.
So old SVD really has nothing to contibute about Leupolds other than an unpunctuated rant. Perhaps, as Tom Lehrer once noted, the least those who cannot communicate should do for the rest of us is to just shut up. In closing, one wonders what dragging one's ass has to do with logging on ? I use my fingers on the keyboard not my buttocks... SVD must have REALLY BIG keys if that's his method. After 781 posts that keyboard must really be ripe.Buy American, Be American
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/29/2006 at 13:03

LEU60065

Leupold 8.5-25x50 Mark 4 LR/T 30mm Riflescope Leupold 8.5-25x50 Mark 4 LR/T 30mm Riflescope
  • Matte
  • Illuminated Tactical Milling Reticle
  • 30mm
  • Side Focus
  • M1 Target Knobs
  • Free Leupold Flip-Open Lens Covers
SWFA: $1,379.95

IOR318X42TILLMP8M IOR 3-18x42 Tactical 35mm Rifle Scope IOR 3-18x42 Tactical 35mm Rifle Scope
  • Matte
  • Illuminated MP-8
  • 35mm
  • Long Range
  • Side Focus
  • Free IOR 35mm Medium Rings w/ purchase
  • Free Mil Pocket Rangefinder Chart w/ purchase
SWFA: $1,259.95
More Info... Buy Now

When I'm thinking thousand dollar plus scopes I'm thinking US Optics, Leupold, IOR tactical scopes. Now if you want a fun to play with scope get a 10x Super Sniper and that will be all the scope you really need. No scope is perfect for every application and there are trade off's with any choice. By selecting 25-06 on an encore custom bullberry barrel you are obviously a one shot one kill guy which indicates hunting from a fixed position or at least with a rest so higher magnification scopes are a fine choice. I think that you would benefit from having tactical knobs because you can dial in the trajectory compensation.  When it comes to high power (16x or 20x) type scopes it is advantagous for it to be a variable so you can dial the power down as it gets dark which will give a larger exit eye pupil and make the scope look brighter. Illuminated reticles may or may not appeal to you but there are times when it is nice to have the contrast against a dark targtet in the evening.  I have one of the 8.5-25x50 Mk 4 Leupolds and I like it. I have two of the Super Sniper 10x and I like them. I have one of the 10x M3 Mk4 Leupolds and I like it. Would I like to have an IOR 3-18x42 you bet, because it is very versitile. like my VXIII 4.5-14x50 Leupold.

You can spend a lot more money on some of the high dollar scopes than on the mid priced Bushnell 4200s and Nikon Monarchs but are you  really getting that much more - unless you go to a true tactical scope I don't think so.  And the debate about what has better glass is rather a moot point  when you compare the top contenders as you can take a scope that has average glass but is extremely consistent in its adjustment and be quite deadly with it. Like for example my Leupold's 

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Trinidad View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trinidad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/29/2006 at 13:31

You never learn bitch. Read my posts and then look back at yours. It does not get any more real than this. Now back to fine optics.........

Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/29/2006 at 14:39
SVD, don't feed this troll. He is very disturbed and frankly I'm disappointed that Chris would allow him to continue to participate here.
Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rootmanslim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/29/2006 at 14:57
Troll... they live under bridges don't they? Why all the attacks with NO FACTS? Chris "allows me" to participate because I have something to say other than childish name calling and invective. It is interesting how many of you folks who support the Second Amendment seem to be in favor of self defined censorship...i.e. I don't agree with you, so you should be silenced. Sounds to me like a page right out of Mein Kampf. (By the way if any of the words or literary references are too obscure I'm sorry as I am not used to dealing with those who don't read and never used a word not defined beyond the third grade level classroom)So Roy & SVD do you have anything to contribute about Leupold that can be backed up with generally accepted research methods or do we have nothing to look forward to except more middle school name calling? I think I already know the answer.
Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/29/2006 at 15:26
If you want to know where I stand regarding my experience with Leupold scopes, do a search. You are a first class horse's ass with an agenda to only create controversy to feed your shallow ego.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic