OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Sightron II Big Sky

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Sightron II Big Sky
    Posted: December/23/2006 at 13:21
I just recieved my new NRA American Hunter and to my suprise on the inside cover was a full page add for the Sightron II, Big Sky line of scopes. This seems like good exposure for the brand and they are taking the market very serious with this add. They are making some big claims regarding the glass quality versus the most expensive brands out there. I hope SWFA picks this brand up soon, as adds like this have to increase sales. We should be able to add Sightron to the list of quality mid-range scopes in terms of brand identity to the general shooting public. On this list I consider Burris, Bushnell, Nikon, and Leupold in terms brand exposure. Meopta has some reasonable pricing, but not the exposure. So does SS, but I'm talking hunting scopes here. 
seattlesetters View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seattlesetters Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/23/2006 at 13:41
I checked out Sightron scopes recently, and they compare very favorably with scopes that actually cost a bit more. It would indeed be nice if SWFA picked up the line.  And...that Sightron warranty is awfully attractive!
tahqua View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/23/2006 at 14:12

Don't see anything on Sightrons web site, yet, found this out there.

Sightron has added a new SII Big Sky Series to their line up for 2007. These items (both scopes and binoculars) will be featured at the 2007 SHOT show in Orlando. This series features a new Climate Control Coating. An increase in contrast by up to 35% and resolution by up to 20% will be noticed. In addition, there will be a new SI Series Spotting Scope Kit with a case and tripod.

koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/23/2006 at 14:43
I heard rumors about Big Sky scopes from Sightron.  I'll try one as soon as it is available.

Also, in the past SWFA was able to get Sightron scopes, despite the fact that they are not featured on SWFA website.  I am not sure of they still do it, but it may worth an e-mail to Chris or Brady.  If memeory serves me right they offered very competitive Sightron prices when I last checked (admittedly a while ago).

ILya
seattlesetters View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seattlesetters Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/23/2006 at 14:59
A quick internet search shows that Sightron has significantly increased their prices with the SII Big Sky.  About $100 or so per model looks to be about right.

So, while the SII competed very favorably with the Nikon Buckmasters, Burris Fullfields, Bushnell 3200s and Leupold VX-2s of the world, will it now compete favorably with Monarchs, Signatures, 4200s, Grand Slams, VX-3s and Conquests?

Somebody needs to get their hands on one!!
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/23/2006 at 15:12
Current S2 is optically on par with Grand Slam, Monarch, VX-3, etc. and has better adjustments and larger adjustment range than all of the above.  I do not have the specs for Big Sky Sightron scopes, but I will certainly check them out.

ILya
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/17/2007 at 02:48
I just received a new Sightron catalog which includes the specs for the new S2 Big Sky models.  I have not yet seen the scopes themselves, but here are the conclusions that can be drawn from the catalog.

The coatings remain largely the same (they are pretty good coatings though) except their "Climate Control" coatings are added to ocular and objective lenses.  These are, presumably akin to Bushnell's Rainguard.

Lenses are, supposedly, "Enhanced Definition".  Not sure what exactly that measn, but looking at the rest of the specs, it appears that Sightron made the internal lenses a bit larger in size

S2 SS, and a few models from the old S2 line are apparently staying in production, including the bang for the buck king S2 3-9x42.

I'll post a report as soon as I get my hands on one.

ILya
Trinidad View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trinidad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/17/2007 at 03:10
Great info koshkin,I look foreward to your post.
Dolphin View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dolphin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/17/2007 at 05:38
I received a pm from Chris awhile back and they have picked up the Sightron line, but he did not say when they were going to start offering them.
tahqua View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/17/2007 at 06:47
That is very good news. I hope TPS is next on the SWFA menu.
Trinidad View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trinidad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/06/2007 at 11:56

Found some more info on the upcomming Sightron Big Sky Scopes. Besides Zac-7 they are going to have a extra elemental coating and advertise this will result in a enhaced view to rival the best scopes. Also any purchase of any Big Sky scope by a NRA member will also recieve a free pair of SII big sky 10x50 binoculars.

Tip69 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Tip Stick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tip69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/06/2007 at 12:01
Purchased from whom....... anybody?  Do you have to tell them you are NRA or will they ask?
take em!
Trinidad View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trinidad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/06/2007 at 12:10

Sightron has a new big ad with this info but not the details. Besides a coating upgrade they are claiming to have upgraded the glass and overall scope tolerances also. This is going to be a very interesting series for scopes in this price range. The 3-9x42 is going to be about $350. Maybee if you give them a call they will disclose the details you have asked for at this time.

Edited by SVD666
Tip69 View Drop Down
Tip Stick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tip69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/06/2007 at 12:19
Thanks for the info!
take em!
Trinidad View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trinidad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/06/2007 at 12:39

One last thing, the binoculras are constructed with porro prisms and will be center focus.

Here is a look at the new 3-9x42 not out yet.

http://sightron.com/index.php?action=view_category&cat_i d=1169148392

Ky hunter View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ky hunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/07/2007 at 11:19

Hello All

I am new to posting but have been reading the post for awhile. I would like to share my experience with Sightron scopes. First, I do own or have owned most brands of scopes. For the record the Leopold’s I have experience with are still leading the pack. I have a Sightron SII 3-12-42 Mildot. It is mounted on a 700 LV .223. I have been able to make some outstanding shots (for me) with this pair. The scope cross hairs move predictable and the sight picture is good. Now the bad news; eye position is much more critical than most others it is competing with. The eye relief is sufficient but other brands have much more forgiveness to guide my eye into proper position. Of course this is of minor importance to a bench shooter but I am a hunter and have been a nuisance more than once. This scope is a year old but I have been looking at the new ones last month. I regret not getting an AO scope for this rifle. The new ones appears no better. If the prices go up on their line of equipment I would defiantly go to another brand. I just put a Burris on the latest varmint rig. I am happy so far.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic