OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

MONARCH vz. FFII?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WVHILLBILLYJLM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: MONARCH vz. FFII?
    Posted: December/23/2006 at 12:18

I need some input!

I am looking for a scope that will either go on my 7mm RM or 300 Weatherby.  The main purpose will be deer hunting with some long range (to 500yds +/-) target practice.  I want a scope that is very good in low light situations, be durable and have a ballistic type reticle. 

I have narrowed my selection down to the Nikon Monarc 3.3-10x44 MD and the Burris FFII 3.5-10x50 B-Plex.

What would you suggest between the two?  I am also open to suggestions as long as it is in this price range.

Thanks,

WVHILLBILLY

koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/23/2006 at 12:28
Monarch is a better scope than Fullfield II, but it is also more expensive.  These really do not compete against each other.  Monarch competes agains Burris Signature Select, and between those two I prefer Signature Select.

ILya
seattlesetters View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seattlesetters Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/23/2006 at 12:56
I really liked this scope from Pentax when I checked it out in a local store.  If it would have been a good fit for my application ( a 7mm-08 deer rifle), I would buy it.

89553 New Pentax 44x42 Whitetail Unlimited Rifle Scope New Pentax 4.5-14x42 Whitetail Unlimited Rifle Scope
  • Matte
  • Ballistic Plex
  • 1"
SWFA: $448.95
More Info Buy Now

And I think this scope would be awesome for your application:

200616 Burris 3-12x44 Signature Select Rifle Scope Burris 3-12x44 Signature Select Rifle Scope
  • Matte
  • Ballistic Plex
  • 1"
  • Hunter Knobs
SWFA: $404.95
More Info.er= Buy Now

And a buddy recently acquired one of these.  I've been playing around with it and I really like it.  I'd say its glass it pretty darn close to the Monarch and the Signature:

800473 Weaver 3-10x40 Grand Slam Rifle Scope Weaver 3-10x40 Grand Slam Rifle Scope
  • Matte
  • Dual-X
  • 1"
SWFA: $319.95
More Info..order= Buy Now

Edited by seattlesetters
Duce View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/23/2006 at 13:22

The Monarch at $ 346 with the Mil dot is a great buy that or the Signature select at $ 404 with a little more for target. I don`t see how you could go wrong, great choice

http://www.swfa.com/pc-1916-218-nikon-33-10x44-monarch-ucc-r iflescope.aspx

Duce 

Duce
OK hunter View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OK hunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/24/2006 at 19:03
I've owned both and much prefer the Burris Signature Select.  It's no contest to me.
WVHILLBILLYJLM View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WVHILLBILLYJLM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/27/2006 at 04:46

Now I have a few questions on the Signature Selects.

1.) If I go with the 3-12x44, does it loose some clarity on 12 power with no adjustable objective?

2.) If I go with the 4-16x44, how bright is it in low light situations on 16 power?

3.) On the 4-16x44, if I turn it down to 10 power, does anyone know what the corrections on the hash marks would be?

4.) Can you describe or have a picture of the Hunter Knobs?

Thanks,

WVHILLBILLYJLM

Edited by WVHILLBILLYJLM
exhogflyer View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote exhogflyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/27/2006 at 06:36
  Between Nikon Monarch and Burris Sig Select, I prefer the Burris.I feel slightly better glass, and I think may be more durable. AO would not be necessary on 3-12, and yes a 4-16 would not be as bright when turned all the way up but would be better for longer range shots.Another scope to keep in mind would be the Bushnell 4200.....very bright, clear optics and also in the price range.
State Arms Rebel .50 BMG
sorry, couldn't hear your shot
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic