OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Tactical Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Springfield Optics...

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote firecop45acp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Springfield Optics...
    Posted: February/28/2004 at 12:22
I just bought a Savage 10PFLE1A with a 20 inch bull barrel (.308) and am seriously thinking about putting the Springfield GE5093SA  on it.  Is there any reason why I should avoid this piece of glass?  Thanks for your help!
SAKO75 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SAKO75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/01/2004 at 07:02
I have not mread much good about springfield scopes. there are better choices
Stephanie View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper
Optics Goddess

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stephanie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/01/2004 at 10:15

You can always try the Super Sniper scope it is a great scope for the money . Here are a few testimonies about this scope.

The 10X SUPER SNIPER® is still working great after 2000 rounds. This May, I met several other shooters in Wyoming for a 5 day prairie dog shoot. When I returned home, I took a trip to the range to clean rifles and check zeros. Out of three brands, the S.S. was the ONLY one to still be zeroed, and this after clicking up and down, side to side for 5 days of shooting. And it was the least expensive scope of the bunch. I have since purchased and mounted a 16X S.S. on a very well made custom rifle. Do whatever it takes, just keep this scope in the market. It's the best kept secret in optics today.

Thanks,
Clint Starke, Starke Bullet Company

Dear SWFA:,
I ordered one of your SS16X42 Scopes about 2 years ago to put on my BIG .50 cal. I cant say enough about how pleased I am with the quality and performance of this scope. I use the windage and elevation turrets all the time and I have never lost my zero. This is more than I could say about a lot of scopes I have had in the past. This scope has enough MOA To take my .50 cal out to 2000yds with the use of a 20 MOA tapered base. I have hit a good number of targets at 1 mile away thanks to this scope, and that is a lot of clicking up and down. I am so happy with this scope that I plan to buy a SS10X42M for a custom Remington 700 in 300WSM that I have been working on. Thank you SWFA!

Jeremy H.

I hope this helps you out a little bit on your optic choose.

loder16 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote loder16 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/02/2004 at 15:30

My brother Lars put a Super Sniper on his new 700 LTR and he hasn't stopped grinning since...

My advice is to get one and a set of Badger rings and base and you won't regret it!

Thanks SWFA!!!

Chris Farris View Drop Down
TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin
swfa.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Farris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/02/2004 at 18:14

No one can really comment on the new Springfield Armory scope yet because they have not shipped any to dealers.  They just under went a complete make over and from what we know they are going to be top notch performers.  Might want to consider something tried and true for now until we get to actually use the new S.A. scopes.

firecop45acp View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote firecop45acp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/02/2004 at 21:17

Thanks for all the replies! ( and please keep them coming!)  Now, if I were to go with the SS, what power would be recommended?  I kinda like the sounds of the 16x, but is that overkill?  I'm pretty sure that the 20x is.

Thanks again!

Nick

David View Drop Down
Optics Optimist
Optics Optimist

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/03/2004 at 13:54

Nick,

Most shooters prefer the fixed 10x as it is brighter, wider field of view and has a less critical eye relief. It is really all relative to what you are accustomed to shooting and what you will be doing with the application. If you will just be paper punching from a bench then the 16x would be great. If you want to target shoot and possibly do some hunting, I would go with the 10x.

You could always go with a variable and get the best of both worlds.  IOR Valdada also makes an excellent target scope in a hunting or Tactical version, they are made in Romania, and the glass used comes from Schott.  Below is some information for you to take a look at.

The 4-14x Tactical rifle scope is the ultimate instrument for sporting and long range shooting. Its airtight, nitrogen-filled construction allows it to operate in temperatures ranging from -40° to +140° F. Its features include:

• Photo engraved rangefinding reticle
  • Full multicoating and anti-reflection treatment eliminating glare and maximizing light transmission
  • One piece "O" ring sealed and nitrogen filled alloy housing
  • 30mm tube diameter
  • Side focus from 50m to infinity
  • Finger-adjustable knobs
  • Waterproof
  • Fogproof
  • Shockproof (even when employed on a .50 cal. rifle)
  • High resolution optic system
  • Magnum lock support system on reticle
  • Superior optical glass by Schott Glasswerk, Germany

Technical Data

Magnification

4-14x

Objective diameter

50mm

Field of view at 100 yards

34-11 feet

Exit pupil diameter

13-4.2mm

Eye relief

3.75 inches

Diopter adjustment

-4 to +4 DPT

Reticle adjustment range

Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote firecop45acp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/03/2004 at 19:31

David,

Thanks for the advice, I have the funny feeling, though, that the Minister of Finance would not be thrilled about a $900 scope, Im trying to keep it in the sub 500 range.  I agree that a variable power is the best of both worlds, and if I could find one that had all the right bells and whistles, as well as price, I'd jump on it.  Sure do wish there was a SS variable power, then there would be no question.

Nick

Stephanie View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper
Optics Goddess

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stephanie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/04/2004 at 08:46

Well if you are consideringing a variable take a look at the new Leupold Mark 4 scope, some are right @ your price range.  Check out the Mark 4 PR series at the link below.

Leupold Mark 4 Scopes

Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote firecop45acp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/12/2004 at 15:20

Much Thanks to Stephanie and David... I spoke with David the other day on the phone and decided on the Leupold Mark 4  3-9X40 with Mil-Dot.  He said it would be about two weeks out from the factory... He Lied  I got an email two days later from UPS saying it was on its way!!!!  I am very excited about its pending arrival, and know that I will be happy with its performance!

Thanks again everyone!

Nick

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic