OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Everything Else > Almost Anything Goes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Biggest Disappointment?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mwyates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Biggest Disappointment?
    Posted: December/19/2006 at 11:13

I was thinking about things I had wanted for a long time and then when I finally got them I was really disappointed.  I think the biggest one for me was a Thompson/Center Encore.  I wanted one with several barrels for a long time and could either not find one or they were backordered for 6 months.  I ordered an Encore with a custom shop barrel in .280 Ackley improved and after about 6 weeks it finally arrived.  It was the most awful feeling gun I ever put up to my shoulder; no balance, pistol grip felt terrible, cheek weld was all wrong.  I decided to get a 22-250 barrel and use it for targets.  Never get a break action gun for target shooting; have to take it off the bags everytime to reload.  I sold the whole rig and was glad to see it go.

Ever had that experience with a gun, scope, or binocs?

cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/19/2006 at 16:15

An IOR 2.5-10 Tactical............

I got tired of making excuses (to myself and others) for that scope.

If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
TPS_Phil View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TPS_Phil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/19/2006 at 17:26

I like my 2.5-10?

We refuse to compromise our quality for pricing.
100% USA Made.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/20/2006 at 09:27
Originally posted by TPS_Phil TPS_Phil wrote:

I like my 2.5-10?

Phil, most everyone else that has a 2.5-10x42mm IOR Tactical likes theirs too.

Maybe I just got a bad one.

Eye relief was horrible when mounted on a .300 Win mag. Myself and several other shooters, including a former Army Ranger, couldn't keep that scope off their eyes.

Glass had a yellowish tint to it, which bugged me.

Last, but certainly not least, Valantine and me had an "encounter" on another issue that got me worked up a little....( OK, a lot.)   I have this thing about being called a liar.

I was already in a bad mood when I called him.

Evidently he was too because it got a little .....loud. (OK, a lot loud.) 

Trinidad View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trinidad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/20/2006 at 10:04
My first handgun a auto-ordanance 1911=Sucked.
never e nuff View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote never e nuff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/20/2006 at 10:31
At the ripe age of 19 I wanted a handgun and a co-worker had a NIB davis industries .380. That gun was a piece of Shi^. But it made me rethink of ever spending money on anything that would be thought of as throw away ever again.
"The only interesting rifle is an accurate rifle."     Townsend Whelen
TPS_Phil View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TPS_Phil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/20/2006 at 15:53
Originally posted by cheaptrick cheaptrick wrote:

Originally posted by TPS_Phil TPS_Phil wrote:

I like my 2.5-10?

Phil, most everyone else that has a 2.5-10x42mm IOR Tactical likes theirs too.

Maybe I just got a bad one.

Eye relief was horrible when mounted on a .300 Win mag. Myself and several other shooters, including a former Army Ranger, couldn't keep that scope off their eyes.

Glass had a yellowish tint to it, which bugged me.

Last, but certainly not least, Valantine and me had an "encounter" on another issue that got me worked up a little....( OK, a lot.)   I have this thing about being called a liar.

I was already in a bad mood when I called him.

Evidently he was too because it got a little .....loud. (OK, a lot loud.) 

That is too bad... 

This isn't the first time I heard a bad Valantine story...

I heard Valantine is getting better though...

100% USA Made.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/20/2006 at 16:19

Yeah, I've heard that Val has mellowed out a little more these days.

koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/20/2006 at 16:38
Val is getting better.  I've had good experience with him lately.

ILya
TPS_Phil View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TPS_Phil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/20/2006 at 16:44

That's what I hear also....

I also hear rumors of something big coming at the shot...

100% USA Made.
Anthony View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anthony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/20/2006 at 17:36

uhhhh, alright this ones long.

4 or 5 years ago we were planning on driving, yes driving, to Alaska. We needed a large van to house everyone that was going. I saw an ad in the newspaper for a dodge van that would cost 13,000.00$ while this sale they were having was going on. So I go down there and they said nope the sales over, now were going to charge you 20,000.00$ [does that include my first born and my soul?]. To shorten the story I will tell you that I ended up buying it anyway. They said it was 6 cylinders, but I tell you it was 4. first gear=0-5mph second=5-10 third=10-13 fourth 13-15 fifth=15-16 what better test of endurence than 3,000 miles of unpaved road with a pothole every ten feet, and that right there is not an exaggeration. when we hit the one millionth pothole the right rear tire exploded, no... it wasn't a blowout, there was nothing left, there was just the lonely wheel left, no rubber. and when people talk about the giant mesquitos, slap them in the face, because during the summer there are 20,000 microscopic mesquitos per square inch and they only need .2 seconds to take all the blood the need and leave that horrible itch. plus it was the middle of the night so there are 1,000 glowing eyes in the surrounding forest leering you as you put your last hope [spare tire] on.

When we get there to buy a new tire, we also get a checkup. Oh yes of course I brought an extra 3,000 dollars to pay for a new transmission.  that would be the last vehicle I would buy bearing the name dodge.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic