OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

vanishing image

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rogn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: vanishing image
    Posted: December/17/2006 at 11:04
I had posted this inquery on the binocular site but I think traffic over there is slower, Im too imparient and suffer from CRA and will soon foget to return to the binocular forum. Please bear with me.  After the whitetail season closed I walked home and abt 545 PM was looking down my range and lookin at a 200yd target inn near dark conditions. I had a pair of Nikon Monarch 10X36 binoculars and could see the 10X12" white target paper, and could sorta make out the 3" blue aiming square. The 2-7X32 Nikon Monarch scopr could only maKe out the white paper on abt 4x or higher power( Im not sure the scope is making out anything), lower power than that there was no target, but the image was brighter, higher power and the image was a bit clearer.?  ?  The binos image was good and bright, not as bright as the 2x scope. Q 1 is this "normal" obsevation? Q 2, When focusing on the target paper with the binoclars(not moving the focus wheel) the image of the white paper would "vanish" from time to time- is this an old eyeball problem or is there another explanation????/ rogn
Dolphin View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dolphin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/18/2006 at 07:14
Please explain, more in depth and with a better description of the problem.  What is CRA?  Maybe myself or someone else on the forum can help, with a better explanation.
rogn View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rogn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/18/2006 at 11:45
CRA= Cant remember antything, often referred to as CRS. sorry. Question was referring to the better "resolution " of the target paper at the higher magnification in the variable scope and at the 10 power of the binoculars--Could see the white 10'X12" sheet fairly well at the 7 power and the 10 powerr but the scope at 2X didnt show me anything?? 2nd question was that the image of the 10"X12" whitwe sheet would just disappear while I was lookig at it, almost as though someone walked in front of it. Conditions were well past shooting light, ppretty near dark, you could see where to walk in the open, but really could not see branches in the woods. 1st Q is this the way its supposed to be? 2nd Q is this explainable or is my head or eyes messing with me.?? rogn    ---- Ill try to provide addt info if you have more questions

Edited by rogn
Dolphin View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dolphin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/19/2006 at 06:30
Resolving power is inherently better at a further distance with a higher magnification, with all other things being equal.  So it is natural you were able to make out the lines of the target better with the higher magnification of your scoper and with your binoculars.  If the binos were working fine at all other times, I suspect that while you were trying to locate the target in the dark, you probably moved your head enought to miss the exit pupils or missed aimed the binos.
rogn View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rogn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/19/2006 at 12:02
OK, but the backround stayed visible even in the dark, the10"x 12" white target just vanished and reappeared in a moment or 2. Almost as though you walked in front of it??
Dolphin View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dolphin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/19/2006 at 16:00
Do you have an eye problem like macular degeneration or a vascular problem?  This almost sounds like transient loss of your central vision, possibly due to a retinal vein or arterial problem like an embolic event, that you only recognized in your dominant eye.  I do not know how old you are or your health problems, but this would be a concern of mine.  Otherwise, do the binos make any clunking sounds when moved up and down or rolled over?  Do they work fine otherwise?
rogn View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rogn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/19/2006 at 20:01
No the glasses are fine, I guess its me Im worried about. I do have a pair of Fugi 7x50s that Ill have to try. Im off tommorrow so I can take a look afetr hunting. Maybe the comparison will tell me something.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic