OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Optics > Binoculars
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Pentax

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ng500 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Pentax
    Posted: December/11/2006 at 17:43

I had a post on here a while back looking for suggestions on some hunting.  I want to say thanks for everyone's input.

I was trying to decide between 8X42 in the Pentax PCF WPII porros, the Carson XM HD, and the Pentax DCF WPII.  I ended up ordering both Pentax models based on the good reviews and their warranty.  I wanted to compare porros and the roofs to decide if I wanted to spend $300 for the roofs vs $150 for the porros.  I ended up keeping the DCF WPII.  Here's my review....keep in mind that I am new to binoculars and am no expert on this.  Hopefully this will help someone looking to purchase a pair of binocs for hunting like me.

PCF WP II 8X42....image quality was very good.  I have big hands and the shape of the binocs fit very well.  Field of view is a little less than the DCF WPII, but most people could probably not tell if they did not know the specs ahead of time.  Weight was not an issue.  I liked the fact they were waterproof.  Downside...a little more bulky than the roofs and you have to turn the focus dial a little more when changing distances.  Other than that, a great pair of inexpensive binocs.  If I did a lot of box stand hunting, which I don't, I would have no problem with these binocs.

DCF WP II 8X42.  Image quality was also very good.  "Maybe" a little more sharp than the PCF's.  It surprised me a little, since everyone said that a $150 pair of roofs would beat a $300 pair of roofs.  The size also fit my hand very well, even though they are smaller than the PCF.  I do more stalking, so i like the DCF better, since they do not stick out as far when hung around my neck.  One feature that I liked was the quick focus.  I actually hunted with these over the weekend and all I can say is "wow".  In fact everyone in my hunting camp loved them.  The quick focus was extremely nice when scanning varying distances through hardwoods in the southeast. 

I don't think you can go wrong with either pair.  Which pair just depends on the type of hunting you do.  The no fault warranty is also a little piece of mind for those unexpected tumbles you may take when hunting.

Hope this helps someone

Acenturian View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Acenturian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/11/2006 at 18:51

Ng500:

Thanks for the update, and nice choice in binoculars.

Have a great holiday season

AC

If You're In A Fair Fight, You Didn't Plan It Properly

- Anonymous

mouthcaller View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mouthcaller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/11/2006 at 20:48

NG

I ordered the DCF WP II last week in the 8X42 for the primary purpose of hunting.  Thanks for the review and I look forward to posting my impressions when they arrive next week.

What about the weight of the WP IIs?  Did you find them OK to wear all day?  Do you use just a neck strap or a "harness-type" system when hunting?

Thanks in advance.

FrankD View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FrankD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/12/2006 at 06:04
Congrats on the new bins. I was always impressed with the original WPs and the WP IIs are also quite impressive. You should get many great years of use out of them.
Frank
ng500 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ng500 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/12/2006 at 08:01

Mouthcaller,

I believe the weight is around 28oz.  I think there were some binocs that weighed a couple ounces less.  Some people may be able to tell the difference.  If 2-3 ounces was going to ruin my hunt, I would have other things to worry about.

Regarding the neckstrap.  I used the strap that came with it.  It's not bad, but I will definitely get me a "harness" that will take the weight off the neck.  The standard strap doesn't hurt or fatigue your neck, I just like having anything around my neck.  I'm thinking of getting one that has some type of elastic on the lower straps that will keep the binocs close to the chest when I don't need them.  Less chance of them hitting the rifle or anything else that may make a noise and spook game.

Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mouthcaller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/14/2006 at 07:00

Thanks ng500.  I received the Pentax 8X42 WP IIs late yesterday afternoon.  Played with them for awhile last night and early this morning.  My impressions are:

Fit and finish are first rate.  It looks and feels like a high quality bino.  Ergonomics are good and they are confotable to hold.

Optics are very clear and sharp. I'm no optics expert, but the quality of the image looks great to me.

I was under the impression that the diopter adjustment had click stops - my pair doesn't.  Does yours?

The neck strap leaves something to be desired.  It doesn't match the overall quality of the binos.

Weight is managable.  Not the lightest pair I have held but the overall weight does seem to balance well in my hands.

The label on the bottom of the box says "made in China".  That was a bit disappointing to me, as I thought they were made in Japan.  Oh well.

Overall I am very satisfied.  The glass is warrented for life and is submersible to 1 meter.  They look to be very durable and will be used in a variaty of hunting (mostly turkey and deer) and other outdoor activities.  I am anxious to use them hunting this weekend.

ng500 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ng500 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/15/2006 at 17:13

Mouthcaller,

Comments to your questions below.  I'll save the long comment till last.

Diopter adjustment - mine has click stops.  Have not held any other Pentax, so I don't know what to tell you, except call Pentax.

Weight - most brands I looked at were in the 24oz to 28oz range.  For ME 4oz. is nothing to be concerned with. 

Neck strap - yeah I agree...pretty cheap, but I would still want a harness system as I plan on purchasing.

Made in China - I called Pentax ahead of time and asked them about this.  The answer they gave me was that only the assembly is done there.  On a side note....it seems a lot of people get hung up on the whole made in China issue.  It some cases it's warranted, because some real crap is made there.  However, I work for a Japanese manufacter in a industry non-related to optics.  We still make a lot of parts in Japan, but we have opened 2 new factories in China for many of our mass production parts that were previously made in Japan.  All tolerances on our products are held to the same specs as they were when they were made in Japan. We use the same tooling equipment and have Japanese managers overseeing manufacturing.  We have seen no increase in product failures after 2 years of manufacturing there.  On the other hand, competitor product that is designed in China and held to their specs, is crap and not worth buying.  All in all, people better get used to the made in China sticker, because it's not going anywhere anytime soon.  The good ole boy mentality  of made in America just isn't a good argument anymore, because almost everything we consider American has overseas parts in them somewhere. No slam on good ole boys as I consider myself one.  Sorry for the long e-mail on China made stuff, just serious thoughts to consider.

Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mouthcaller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/17/2006 at 18:50

ng500

Firstly, thanks for the response.  I am really not hung up on the made in China thing since the warrenty is lifetime.  You are right though, with the continuing industrialization of China, coupled with an abundance of cheap labor, many more things will be manufactured there (including optics).  Better get used to it.

I was able to hunt with the DCF WPIIs 8X42s this weekend.  I really, really, really like these binos.  The image was fantastic - bright, sharp, crystal clear.  Focusing the glass was easy.  I like the low-light performance and found the glass comfortable and easy to use.  Overall I am extremely well pleased with this purchase. 

I compared my WP IIs with my buddys Nikon Monarch ATBs.   It probably wasn't a fair comparison because the Monarchs were 10X42.  Several of us were there and all agreed that the Pentax binos were brighter and sharper than the Nikons.  The Monarch is a great binocular, no doubt, but the image looked "soft" to me. 

Of note - the binocular that I received is unfortunately defective, as the diopter adjustment doesn't have click stops.  I called Pentax for verification and the technician I spoke with said that the WP IIs should indeed have this feature.  Maybe the little ball that holds the click is stuck or something - I don't know.  I used American Express rewards points to purchase these through Amazon.com.  Pentax told me to return them to Amazon and they will send me another one.  That is indeed what they are doing - sending me a new pair and I will return these when the new ones arrive with a return shipping label. That is good customer service.  The guy at Pentax told me if I have any problems to call him and they will make it good.  I like that, in fact I like that quite a lot.

Anyway, thanks to everyone on this forum.  I bought these binoculars sight unseen base on my research the past couple of weeks.  The input of those on this forum was instrumental in my decision and I greatly appreciate it.

Mouthcaller

Edited by mouthcaller
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic