OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

$1000 to spend

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geetch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: $1000 to spend
    Posted: December/08/2006 at 12:04

Alright guys.  I have about $1k budget for a scope.  I've been looking at the sample list and have a few questions.

I'm trying to decide between the Swarovski 4-12x50mm American, the Kahles CL 3-12x50, or the Kahles 3-12x56mm C.  Which one would you buy?  Unless you have any other suggestions in that price range. 

This will be going on a Remington model 700 in .243 that currently has a Simmons Aetec on it.  This was my main deer gun until I got a .270 with an IOR 4-12x50mm.  I want to start using my .243 again, but want to upgrade the class. 

Thanks.

Duce View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/08/2006 at 12:27

I am happy with the Leupold VX-L 3&1/2 X 10 X 56 that I got off the sample list , I don`t think you would be unhappy with a Nikon Monarch or a Bushnell 4200 in similar power for deer  All of those are under $1000 by quite a bit just remember Nikons off the sample list only have a 90 day warrenty

Duce 

Duce
jonbravado View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonbravado Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/08/2006 at 12:43

kahles 56mm is the best of the bunch out of the three you named - excellent scope model.

BUT if you want a comparable brandnew scope - try the 56mm meostar by meopta - it holds it's own w/ any of the above few.

good luck.

J

geetch View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geetch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/08/2006 at 12:56

how is the kahles better than the swarovski 1"?  Just trying to educate myself.

I like my IOR, but the reticle is too thin.  Is that a problem in the meopta at low light? 

Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonbravado Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/08/2006 at 14:01

you can get the meopta meostar w/ german #4 reticle - awesome in lowlight

the american swaro isn't as good as the top end swaros - the kahles C is excellent -

my cousin just bought one for 1300 bucks and it is amazing.

it's the best of the 3 - unless you want the side focus, then get the CL.

seriously pick up and look through a 3x12x56 meostar.  you won't put it back down.

i own a 56mm meostar and i can't tell much of a difference if any between the kahles.  and it's only 700 bucks or so.

good luck.

J

Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonbravado Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/08/2006 at 14:02

or get another IOR hunter - they are excellent scopes.

J

ceylonc View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ceylonc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/08/2006 at 20:06

Kahles CL...

Do a "SEARCH" (click it on the top of this webpage) on the CL & you'll see why.

OK hunter View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OK hunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/08/2006 at 21:09

My next purchase will be a Kahles Multizero.  It may push the $1K limit a bit but I'm going to go ahead with it.  I think they are that good.  Good luck.

ceylonc View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ceylonc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/09/2006 at 10:20
Originally posted by OK hunter OK hunter wrote:

My next purchase will be a Kahles Multizero.  It may push the $1K limit a bit but I'm going to go ahead with it.  I think they are that good.  Good luck.

Congrats on a great decision!  You won't be disappointed.

Let us know what you think once you get a chance to dial it in.

RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/09/2006 at 13:16
Let us know how the MultiZero function works.  I've been interested in one of these, but I haven't had a chance to try one out to see how easy it is to set and dial in a preset zero.

As for Kahles' optics, based on every other Kahles optic product I've seen, it goes without saying that the view through the scope will be awesome.
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
Dolphin View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dolphin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/10/2006 at 21:12
Looked through them all, but have not had experience shooting with them.  I just stick with the Elite 4200s and Sightron SIIs and seem to get along fine, even in low light situations, even with lesser scopes.  Out of my price range.  You have to depend on these guys, but from what I hear from them, the Kahles, is the way to go.
Trinidad View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trinidad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/11/2006 at 12:46
Originally posted by OK hunter OK hunter wrote:

Exellent choice Ok hunter.

geetch View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geetch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/11/2006 at 14:54
What's the side focus on the Kahles CL for? 
Trinidad View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trinidad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/11/2006 at 15:03

Originally posted by geetch geetch wrote:

What's the side focus on the Kahles CL for? 

Here you go geetch. The CL is one of the best 1" scopes in the world.

http://www.kahlesoptik.com/index.php?pf=&menu=20&spr ache=0

RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/11/2006 at 15:47
Man, I may have to get one of these new CL series scopes!  I don't believe I've ever heard so many glowing reviews of any other scope so shortly following introduction before!
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
Trinidad View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trinidad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/11/2006 at 16:20

Originally posted by RifleDude RifleDude wrote:

Man, I may have to get one of these new CL series scopes!  I don't believe I've ever heard so many glowing reviews of any other scope so shortly following introduction before!

The only weakness with the CL is the lack of reticles, a holdover and range estimating reticle would be nice.

If weight is a issue, some weight sensative people might say that it is a bit to heavy in some of its configurations.

Other than that it is one heck of a 1" scope at a great price.

RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/11/2006 at 16:27
Yeah, I don't understand why they don't offer the TDS reticle that they offered in the previous American Hunter line.  Seems to me that would be a no-brainer option, especially since Kahles is owned by Swarovski.
Ted

Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/11/2006 at 16:31
Not any more, RD. The "rights" to the TDS are owned by Swaro and now that Kahles is independent of them, no more TDS. It's one reason you see the mult-zero on Kahles.
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/11/2006 at 16:41
That makes sense, but I wasn't aware they were now independent of Swaro.  I called about cost for replacing the rubber armor on my Kahles bino last week, and the number I was given was Swaro customer service in RI.  In addition, the Kahles website still shows the U.S. parts and service address as 2 Slater Rd, Cranston RI, same as Swaro.  Is this a new thing?
Ted

Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/11/2006 at 16:52
Chris knows all the particulars regarding what goes on here stateside, but, they split ways about 2 years ago from what I understand. From what I understand, Kahles got tired of sharing their technology with Swaro. Kahles was in the optics business long before Swaro and apparently when Swaro first started offering scopes, they were made entirely by Kahles. Not exactly sure how they worked out the warranty/customer service end of it.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic