OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Varmint Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

burris vs. leupold

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zoog91864 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: burris vs. leupold
    Posted: December/08/2006 at 12:02

which one do you like better ?

burris 4-16x44 ball plex ao

leupold 4.5-14x50 vxIII varmint hunter

probably will do some nite hunting putting it on a

colt ar.

.38 special
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/09/2006 at 12:33
Is that a flat top?
zoog91864 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zoog91864 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/10/2006 at 14:29
yes it is
.38 special
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/13/2006 at 09:12
Originally posted by zoog91864 zoog91864 wrote:

which one do you like better ?

burris 4-16x44 ball plex ao

leupold 4.5-14x50 vxIII varmint hunter

probably will do some nite hunting putting it on a

colt ar.

Between those two, I'd go with the Leupold, if for no other reason than I love the Varmint Hunter reticle.  In the Burris line, I'd also choose the Ballistic Mil Dot over the Ballistic Plex.  But, the Burris reticle is too thick for my tastes for a long range varmint rig.  The Varmint Hunter reticle is surprisingly easy to use and understand, and it's extremely thin, so it doesn't obscure much of the target at long range.

Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
Trinidad View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trinidad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/13/2006 at 11:58

My pick will go the the SS 4-16x44 B-Mil-Dot. It has the better low light glass and resolution

and the slightly thicker reticle will really come in handy in a low to hardly no light. The Signature

select line has been made so much better recently and these scopes have alot of fine features

for the money.

RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/13/2006 at 15:50

As far as resolution or brightness is concerned, I'd advise you look at both before deciding, 'cause my eyes tell me just the opposite.  Among the group I go prairie dog shooting with, we have 3 of the SS 4-16X44s w/ B - mildots and 2 VXIII 6.5 - 20 X40 LR w/ VH reticles.  I haven't looked through a 4.5-14X50 Leupy since they went from the Vari-XIII to VXIII designation, so I can't compare its optics to the SS, but I can say all in our group of 6 guys have agreed they thought the VXIII 6.5-20 X 40 LR was both brighter and sharper by a considerable margin than any of the Burris SS's we have, despite the smaller objective.  I realize this isn't one of the scopes you were looking at, but it's the closest I have to make a direct comparison to the SS.  I don't know if the LR 30mm version makes a difference in optical quality or not, but I was under the impression the larger tube only provided added W/E adjustment range.  I agree that the thicker Burris reticle would probably be more visible in low light, since you specified night hunting.  The rifle I have my VH reticle scope on is strictly for busting priairie rats in open country, though I have also used it for coyotes and was able to see the reticle in fairly low light.  If night hunting was more the norm than the exception, I'd probably go with an illuminated reticle model, though. 

Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
zoog91864 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zoog91864 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/14/2006 at 10:56

What about the price diff.

About $440 for the burris

About $680 for the leupold

Is the extra for the leupold worth it

is that where they are putting the extra money at in the glass?

thanks for all the input.

.38 special
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/14/2006 at 16:22

One thing to consider also that might make a difference to you depending on how far you plan to shoot, is the Burris has A/O, and this particular model Leupold doesn't.  For the type of varmint shooting I do at the distances I shoot, I personally wouldn't have a varmint scope without A/O, or preferably side focus.

As for the price difference, it depends on which scope you like better.  Only you can determine if the price difference is worth it.  Leupolds are just expensive compared to their competition, and the price difference isn't necessarily because they're better.  Often, they're no better than other scopes costing way less, in some cases actually inferior.  One thing Leupold does offer, though, is plenty of options, which I think contributes some to their higher price.  For fairly short range, low light predator hunting, it wouldn't be worth the price difference to me.  Now, if that was the side focus model VX-III at that price, it would definitely be worth it to me, as I prefer side focus to A/O.  For super precision long range shooting at small varmints like prairie rats, I personally like the VH reticle enough that I'd be willing to pay a little extra to get it.

Ted

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic