OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Optics > Spotting Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

spoting scopes under $1000

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote klint51 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: spoting scopes under $1000
    Posted: December/07/2006 at 22:31

I need a spotting scope for under $1000 for hunting I am currently looking at the pentax or maybe an older Swarovski st-80 as they have a few on the sample list.  The ST-80 is without an eye piece and I am not sure how to aquire one I would like to find a price for the 20-60 though.  Any other suggestions in this range would also be welcomed as I am new to optics and would just like to get the most bang for my buck.

Thanks,

Klint

mikerabe View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mikerabe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/07/2006 at 23:35
Under 1000$ I would recommend the nikon TF3 (ED) which comes with a 20-45x zoom for 999.00. I also like the nikon ed50 which is 700$ with a 13-30x eyepiece 800$ with 13-40x eyepiece. The nikon 82mm is excellent as well for about 1300$ with 25-75x eyepiece. The field of view at 25x is quite narrow for hunting, but the 75x is very usable for those lazy days when you don't feel like walking very far. European optics are nice but Japanese optics kowa,nikon,pentax are just as good for alot less money. I have used all the of the nikon scope I have listed and I must say they are all excellent but I love the ed50 I take it every time I go hiking or hunting because it weighs very little and the optics are excellent for a 50mm objective lens. My 2cents
Mike
anweis View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anweis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/08/2006 at 09:49

either the Nikon ED or the Pentax ED 60/65 mm. Their zooms are fine but i prefer either 20x or 30x fixed.

FrankD View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FrankD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/11/2006 at 07:14
Originally posted by anweis anweis wrote:

either the Nikon ED or the Pentax ED 60/65 mm. Their zooms are fine but i prefer either 20x or 30x fixed.

I would agree as well. I have looked through the Nikons and own the Pentax and have no problem recommending either based on optical or build quality. Excellent glass for a more reasonable price.

Frank
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic