OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

scope for a 7-08 hunting rifle

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonbravado Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/07/2006 at 11:51

the 44 would possibly cause you to mount the scope a step higher -

so if you like the 'shotgun' feel of looking through scopes, i would stick to the 40mm's

i really don't know about the pentax line too much - i can speak highly of the nikons.

they UCC nikons are very nice scopes - but for daytime, you should be fine w/ the buckmaster line.

if you don't mind the adjustable objective, get the Monarch UCC, it's the best of the bunch, IMO

(not considering pentax as a 'tried and true' brand, of course)

J

thinkingman View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thinkingman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/07/2006 at 12:03

First, great choice on cartridge and firearm.

I have had great success with factory and handloads in my Tikka 7-08.

For the scope, I would look at 4.5-14X.

I have  a preference for Burris.

Fullfields are great, Signatures are fantastic.

I just traded a Nikon Buckmaster 4.5-14 with sidefocus.

Not as clear as I'd hoped.

Nice scope and nice finish...I feel my Burris Fullfield glass is better.

If this is going to be a truck gun, consider upgrading the mounts from the standard Tikka.

I haven't had any problems but they don't seem all that sturdy.

Good luck.

Where do you shoot?

I live and shoot in the Issaquah area.

horsesandhorns View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsesandhorns Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/07/2006 at 14:32

Zeiss Conquest 3-9x40.

seattlesetters View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seattlesetters Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/07/2006 at 19:38
Originally posted by thinkingman thinkingman wrote:

First, great choice on cartridge and firearm.

I have had great success with factory and handloads in my Tikka 7-08.

For the scope, I would look at 4.5-14X.

I have  a preference for Burris.

Fullfields are great, Signatures are fantastic.

I just traded a Nikon Buckmaster 4.5-14 with sidefocus.

Not as clear as I'd hoped.

Nice scope and nice finish...I feel my Burris Fullfield glass is better.

If this is going to be a truck gun, consider upgrading the mounts from the standard Tikka.

I haven't had any problems but they don't seem all that sturdy.

Good luck.

Where do you shoot?

I live and shoot in the Issaquah area.

thinkingman - I live in Bellevue.  Haven't shot in awhile...been doing too much bird hunting.  But I plan on getting back into it during the 2007 season for deer and elk.

Let me know where a good place to practice is...I will also be practicing out in the real world with a rangefinder on distant objects.

At this point, I like the Burris Signature Select 3-12x44mm, but I just don't know if I'll like the bigger objective.  I'm also going to make a point of checking out the Pentax Pioneer 4.5-14x42mm.  I've heard from several sources it is the equivalent of a Burris FFII or a Nikon Buckmaster...and at $279, if that's true, I may have to hook it up.
OK hunter View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OK hunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/07/2006 at 20:20

I'll chime in on the caliber.  I have (3) 7mm-08's and love them all.  I have a Zeiss Conquest 3-9x40 on one, a Burris Fullfield II 3-9x40 one one and a VXIII 2.5-8x36 on the third one.

I fully embrace the Burris line of optics.  I think the signature select is a wonderful scope and I would not hesitate to use it.  I also really like the 44mm objective, which I have on some other rifles, but I don't  think it's absolutely necessary that you have it.  I also dont know if a side focus is necessary on a big game rifle, unless you feel you'll have plenty of time to adjust it in before the shot.  Comparing a buckmaster to a signature select I think is an apples and oranges comparison.  Go Burris.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic