OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Scope suggestions

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Buddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Scope suggestions
    Posted: December/06/2006 at 08:16

Putting together a lightweight Remington Titanium in 7-08 and am having a tough time deciding on a scope that will not kill the overall balance and purpose of the rifle.

I am looking at the higher end scopes i.e. Swaro, Zeiss.(S&B may be too heavy)

Dont want to get larger than a 40-42 objective and want to keep the weight down.

So my choices are Swaro PH2.5-10x42, AV 3-10x42 or Zeiss Diavari 2.5-10x42.

I have already done the Leupold, Bushnell, Conquest, Nikon thing in the past and would like to step it up.

Any experience with these three scopes for this application would be appreciated.

Bud

cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/06/2006 at 08:43

http://www.riflescopes.com/products/52027/swarovski_3-10x42_ american_riflescope.htm

http://www.riflescopes.com/products/930700/talley_lightweigh t_aluminum_1_scopemount.htm

Welcome to The OT, Buddy....

The Swaro A line w/ TDS and the Talley aluminum rings would be a sweet setup, I would think.

Or a Kahles CL has gotten rave reviews around here and would most likey serve you well too.

http://www.riflescopes.com/departments/665/rifle_scopes/kahl es_riflescopes/kahles_cl_1_riflescopes.htm

If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
Buddy View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Buddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/06/2006 at 08:51

Was going to go Talley LW's...what height are those in the link?

Lows is what I will need.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/06/2006 at 08:59

http://www.talleyrings.com/al.htm

Not sure, but heres the Talley website.

ceylonc View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ceylonc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/06/2006 at 09:12
From an optical perspective, the Zeiss is the best of those you listed.  I don't know where it would rate weight-wise compared to the Swaros.  Regardless, the dirrerence should only be a few ounces at most.  So, go with the Zeiss and know that you got pretty much the best glass money can buy...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/06/2006 at 09:19

Originally posted by ceylonc ceylonc wrote:

From an optical perspective, the Zeiss is the best of those you listed.  I don't know where it would rate weight-wise compared to the Swaros.  Regardless, the dirrerence should only be a few ounces at most.  So, go with the Zeiss and know that you got pretty much the best glass money can buy...

I couldn't agree more.

The Swaro will be just a little lighter, 3oz?, and have a RFP reticle.

The Zeiss is FFP isn't it, C? 

jonbravado View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonbravado Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/06/2006 at 09:59

Look at the IOR valdata hunting line too - GREAT glass.

J

jonbravado View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonbravado Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/06/2006 at 10:00

and 7mm08 is a wonderful hunting round - good choice.

and welcome to the OT.

J

ceylonc View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ceylonc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/06/2006 at 10:41
Originally posted by cheaptrick cheaptrick wrote:

The Zeiss is FFP isn't it, C? 

Yup, it's First Focal Plane.  I LOVE mine for deer & hog hunting!!!

Thanks for your sentiments and take care, Cheaptrick

Buddy, I really like the setup you're putting together.  Should be a deer-killin' son of a gun!

Trinidad View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trinidad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/06/2006 at 11:35

Hello Buddy

The Zeiss VM/V T* would be my pick. It will provide the perfect balance you are looking for.

If you get the latest model it will have Lotu-tec anti rain coating which is so new I have not

had a chance to see it yet. The previous models before Lotu-tec are exellent, now I am very

curious.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/06/2006 at 12:36

Well, my colleagues have seemingly overruled my Swaro recommendation....

And yes, the VM/V would be the pick of the litter OPTICALLY speaking.

However, I failed to ask you about reticle selection.

The TDS is supposedly (not tried it) very good if your taking long shots on game and need something for hold over.

(Maybe you don't need anything but a standard duplex type reticle for your hunting needs and thats cool.)

Secondly, the VM/V is a FFP scope.

Meaning, your reticle will "appear" to grow and shrink as you crank the power ring up and down.

Personally, I like FFP scopes, but not all shooters do.

Some guys around here have actually traded their FFP scopes for RFP units because the "growing" reticle freaks them out. 

Just some things I thought of........

As stated, great caliber and rifle choice!

Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/06/2006 at 14:31
That's a deer killing machine, Remmy Ti in 7-08. I had a Kimber 84M in 7-08 that I specifically bought for whitetail hunting. As much as I like bright clear optics like some of the Swaro and Zeiss scopes being suggested, I feel that they look out of place on light/trim sporters. If your hellbent on spending big bucks on a scope, you should take a look at the Kahles CL 3-9x42.
Buddy View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Buddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/06/2006 at 19:21

Thanks for the help guys.

I suppose the long shot for me with this set up will be 300yds max.  I have others for the looong stuff.

The FFP/RFP option I had'nt thought about, although I have used both.  Thanks for bringing that up...something else to consider if low-light hunting.  There, FFP might be better for the thicker reticle.

Checked out the Swaro PH (3-12x50...way too big) and AV today set up on a Ti...the AV "fits" better - no doubt and was surprizingly nice to look through.

Still looking for the Zeiss mentioned so i can fondle it a bit before buying one.

Dolphin View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dolphin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/07/2006 at 20:49

You know, I agree with Finn more times than not.  The Kahles would be my choice if big dollars is what you want to spend, but I would be just as happy with an Elite 4200 or Sightron SII.

Buddy View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Buddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/11/2006 at 09:18

After serious consideration of all the scopes suggested, I will be going with the Zeiss.

Objective size, glass quality and FOV win in all regards.

Thanks for the help.

Trinidad View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trinidad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/11/2006 at 12:44
Originally posted by Buddy Buddy wrote:

After serious consideration of all the scopes suggested, I will be going with the Zeiss.

Objective size, glass quality and FOV win in all regards.

Thanks for the help.

Exellent choice Buddy.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic