OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Inexpensive scope

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hilltop4200 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Inexpensive scope
    Posted: December/04/2006 at 19:14

Hey all.I am looking at a scope for a Handi Rifle 30-06.I can't bust the bank here.I have narrowed it to 4 scopes:Bushnell Legend 3-9

Nikon Prostaff 3-9

Simmons Pro Hunter 3-9

Bushnell Elite 3200 3-9

The Elite is my last choice,and I know the best,but I would like to see some opinions on the other scopes.

"But GOD commenedeth HIS love toward us,in that,while we were yet sinners,CHRIST died for us" ROM.5:8
helo18 View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote helo18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/04/2006 at 22:16
Stay away from the Simmons Pro Hunter 3x9.  I had one on my 300 win mag.  Very poor glass clarity and it couldn withstand the recoil very well.  Don't know much about the others.  Take a look at the Burris Fullfield II 3-9x40 scopes as well.  They run about $20 more than the Bushnell Elite 3200.  I have one on my 270 and I really like that scope.
seattlesetters View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seattlesetters Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/04/2006 at 23:03
I recently went through a similar search that started in this price range but ended up going higher.

Most definitely of your choices I would go with the Nikon.  If you can add a few $$$, as has been suggested, the Burris FFII is a great choice.

One other worth looking at is the Pentax Gameseeker.  It has great features, great glass and is priced even lower than the scopes you're looking at.
hilltop4200 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hilltop4200 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/04/2006 at 23:24
I looked at the Pentax.What can anyone tell me about the optic quality of these?Are they better than Simmons,Tasco,and BSA? Also I should add that is a Pro Hunter Master series.I guess even the Weaver V-series would be okay.What about these as well?
"But GOD commenedeth HIS love toward us,in that,while we were yet sinners,CHRIST died for us" ROM.5:8
Dolphin View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dolphin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/05/2006 at 07:24
Stick with the 3200 and if you can afford that, then go with the Legend.  You cannot go wrong with either scope.  If you could find the money, a Sightron SII 3x9 42mm at 199.99 can be had at a competitor, which is much better than all of the above.  Just do a search for a shooters supply company that advertises in all major hunting magazines and look in their November flyer.
jonbravado View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonbravado Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/05/2006 at 07:29

what is your top end budget for the scope?

J

Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hilltop4200 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/05/2006 at 12:59
My top end is 170.00.No more than that.
Dolphin View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dolphin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/05/2006 at 13:14
Bushnell Elite 3200, all the way.
glazer1972 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote glazer1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/05/2006 at 16:17
Out of those I would pick the Elite 3200.
Acenturian View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Acenturian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/05/2006 at 18:34

I have to agree the 3200 is the best out of that group.  If you could find a deal or spend I tiny bit more the Burris Full Field or the Nikon Buckmaster are also very nice scopes and in my opinion a slight step up from the 3200 Elite.

Happy shooting

AC

If You're In A Fair Fight, You Didn't Plan It Properly

- Anonymous

Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seattlesetters Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/05/2006 at 19:45
Originally posted by hilltop4200 hilltop4200 wrote:

I looked at the Pentax.What can anyone tell me about the optic quality of these?Are they better than Simmons,Tasco,and BSA? Also I should add that is a Pro Hunter Master series.I guess even the Weaver V-series would be okay.What about these as well?

Pentax Gameseeker:

Solid, one-piece tube
Waterproof, fogproof and nitrogen-filled
Fully multi-coated optics

And pretty good glass, to boot.  Pentax is built tough by Burris, and the folks at the shops I've talked to lately say the Gamseeker is the best thing going at the $100 price point.

Pentax 3-9x40 Gameseeker Rifle Scope Pentax 3-9x40 Gameseeker Rifle Scope
  • Matte
  • Precision Plex
  • 1"
SWFA: $98.95
More Info..order= Buy Now

Trinidad View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trinidad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/05/2006 at 19:49
Originally posted by seattlesetters seattlesetters wrote:

Originally posted by hilltop4200 hilltop4200 wrote:

Pentax Gameseeker:

Solid, one-piece tube
Waterproof, fogproof and nitrogen-filled
Fully multi-coated optics

And pretty good glass, to boot.  Pentax is built tough by Burris, and the folks at the shops I've talked to lately say the Gamseeker is the best thing going at the $100 price point.

Pentax 3-9x40 Gameseeker Rifle Scope Pentax 3-9x40 Gameseeker Rifle Scope
  • Matte
  • Precision Plex
  • 1"
SWFA: $98.95
More Info..order= Buy Now

The Gameseeker is not made by Burris, I think it is made in China for Pentax. The higher end pentax scopes are made by burris.

Trinidad View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trinidad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/05/2006 at 19:53

Here is a great Pentax review by the Dark Lord .

http://www.opticstalk.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=3567&KW=ko shkin+pentax

Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seattlesetters Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/05/2006 at 21:21
Originally posted by SVD666 SVD666 wrote:

Here is a great Pentax review by the Dark Lord .

http://www.opticstalk.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=3567&KW=ko shkin+pentax

Did I miss the review?
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seattlesetters Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/05/2006 at 21:26
I just want to clear one thing up:  I have not used nor do I own a Pentax Gameseeker.  A few shops in the Seattle area just told me that it is a great scope for the money and that you really had to spend twice as much ($200) to get a marginally better scope...and in some cases, not really better at all.

I'd love to see the results of the test koshkin planned in the thread referenced above, if there is any data and/or impressions to share.
Trinidad View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trinidad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/05/2006 at 22:52

Originally posted by seattlesetters seattlesetters wrote:

I just want to clear one thing up:  I have not used nor do I own a Pentax Gameseeker.  A few shops in the Seattle area just told me that it is a great scope for the money and that you really had to spend twice as much ($200) to get a marginally better scope...and in some cases, not really better at all.

I'd love to see the results of the test koshkin planned in the thread referenced above, if there is any data and/or impressions to share.

I am sorry to say, the majority of shops can not be trusted. The shops here say that there is nothing better than a Swarovski.

Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hilltop4200 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/07/2006 at 02:05
Thanks for the info.I will try to decide soon,but will probably use the 3200.
Henry455 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Henry455 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/07/2006 at 09:19
FYI, the Burris FF II 3-9 X 40 is available for $169.95 from a large internet shooter's supply store and also take a look at SWFA's combo package with the same scope and a 20X spotter thats on sale for $185.00.
horsesandhorns View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsesandhorns Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/07/2006 at 14:39
You can find the Burris FF II online for under $150. Much better scope than the others that you mentioned.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic