OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Monarch vs. Conquest ?????

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wally Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Monarch vs. Conquest ?????
    Posted: December/04/2006 at 19:05

Gentlemen,

I've been lurking around this board for a few months now.  I found it by doing extensive research on rifle scopes.  It seems I have the same problem as many others who visit this board, that is, I am having problems making a final decision.  I've been impressed with the advice and information given out here, and would be very happy if anybody would like to chime in on my questions.

I just spent the day comparing a new Nikon Monarch 3-9x with my Dad's Zeiss Conquest 3-9x.  Some would say that these scopes aren't even an apples to apples comparison.  I'm not so sure.  I went to the trouble of mounting both on my rifle to see how they both looked and felt on my rifle.  That may sound trivial to some, but nonetheless, it's important to me.  Then, with both scopes mounted on seperate rifles, I looked through both of them until after legal shooting hours, to see if I could see any substantial differences.  I had both of the scopes set on 6x, for the duration of the experiment.  Here are some of my conclusions:

1.  I would have no problems seeing a deer, pig, sheep, or elk, until well after shooting hours.  Yea, the Conquest seemed to have a little better definition in the daylight hours, but as it got closer to dark, I couldn't see a lot of difference.  I'm no optics expert, so maybe I don't know what to look for, but this was my conclusion.

2.  I noticed the Zeiss was more forgiving in the areas of eye relief, and head position.  But, when I got the Nikon positioned correctly, I really didn't have that much of a problem getting a good field of view in the scope.

3.  I did like the reticle better in the Zeiss, but could see both until it was much too late to shoot.

4.  The Nikon is shorter, and slightly lighter than the Zeiss.  It didn't seem to be quite as bulky as the Zeiss, when they were mounted on my rifle.

All in all, they were pretty damn close.  So what makes the Zeiss worth another $100?  Is it going to be more durable?  That's a pretty important point for me.  Does anybody know if one will have better customer service over the other, if I do have a breakdown?  I went into the comparison thinking that I could see a substantial difference in the Zeiss over the Nikon.  I know everyone sees different things in optics, but I just couldn't tell that much difference.  

Please enlighten me, what can the Zeiss do for me, for another $100, that the Nikon can't.  What am I missing?

Thanks for your help,

Steve 

silver View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/04/2006 at 19:51

You mentioned that the Zeiss was more forgiving in eye postioning.  Now that alone would be worth the differance.  You also mentioned the better resolution.  You liked the reticle better in the Zeiss.  I know that in hunting I have had to get into some odd positions to make a shot, so now we get back to that eye position being more forgiving thing.  At longer shots better resloution is your friend,  you see not only your target better, but what is behind it better.  You now have confidence that you are making a safer shot.  You also have less eye strain from the better glass. 

Summary: You like the Zeiss Reticle better...The Ziess is more forgiveing in eye placement for difficult shots... You are shooting safer because you can see the target and what is behind it more clearly (I like to ask the question is that a coyote or the neighbors german shepard at 400 yards?)...  I think that it would be worth the extra hundred bucks for that alone.

As more and more people move into hunting areas I think that being able to see CLEARLY at long ranges becomes more and more important to prevent accidents.       

"If we weren't all crazy we, We would go insane."   Jimmie Buffet

WWW.formitch.com

Wally View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wally Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/04/2006 at 20:51

silver,

I appreciate your observations.  I guess I was initially a little disappointed, because I expected to see more of a difference between the two scopes.  But the more I think about it, all of those subtle differences add up to make the Conquest a better scope.  There are diminishing returns to everything.  The Monarch is definitely a lot of scope for the money, but the Conquest does give you more for the extra $100.  The eye relief issue is really nice, I'll have to admit.  I have also noticed there seems to be less of the "tunnel vision" effect with the Zeiss.  No one has really ever explained to me what causes this, but I have noticed more in some scopes than in others.  I realize you should be looking through the center of the scope, but this phenomenon has always bugged me with some scopes.

I also just completed an extensive search of this forum.  I should have done it sooner, but never really considered the Conquest, until I got the opportunity to compare them today.  It seems the Conquest recieves very high marks from many of the participants on this forum, as well as a couple of other forums.  As a result, I'm leaning very hard to the Conquest. 

I also like the reticle.  THERE!  I went and talked myself into spending my extra money.  Besides, this is for a custom rifle, and is going to be my all around rifle for quite some time.  It deserves a good scope.

Thanks for the reply,

Steve

tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/04/2006 at 21:25

Hello Wally, if you are only looking at these two scopes, that is great info that Silver has given you. There is more than just cost to consider with a scope. If you are willing to look outside these two brands, the 3 X 9 Bushnell 4200 is worth serious consideration. Very clear and bright optics. It is good looking on a gun and is really rugged. The eye relief is adequate for all but the serious kickers. The Zeiss reticle is real nice and you will want to compare it with the Bushnell at low light.

jonbravado View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonbravado Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/05/2006 at 07:33

although the zeiss conquests are excellent scopes, they are NOT at the zeiss diavari levels.

This is the BUDGET zeiss, and you are still paying a little bit for the name.

and that is compared to the FLAGSHIP nikon, so, maybe not a fair comparison.

please don't take this as a shot at Zeiss, they make fantastic scopes. every one.

Just putting it in perspective. +1 on the elite 4200's

J

OK hunter View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OK hunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/05/2006 at 14:22

I think this is a real easy decision between those two scopes.  I have both and I much prefer the Zeiss over the Nikon, in as much as for your first reason.  I don't like having to worry about holding my head just right in order to see a full view.  I also agree that this point alone is valuable enough in my mind to make the Zeiss decision.

I will also agree with the two previous posters that the Bushnell Elite 4200 is one terrific scope for the money and may be the best 1" scope going for the money.  You're comparing good scopes and you most likely won't be dissapointed with your decision.  Keep us posted as to your progress.

Acenturian View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Acenturian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/05/2006 at 15:10

Both are very nice scopes and you can't really go wrong either way.  I would give the Conquest a slight edge over the Monarch.  Is it worth the extra $100?  That is always the question, well I look at it like this if you are willing to pay the money for something that is even a tiny bit better, then yes it is worth it. Some people just wont pay for a minimal gain and that ok as well, as long as you the sportsman is happy with the choice.  Optics advice 101...always buy the best that YOU can afford.  Now that does not mean that there are not good buys out there. 

Let's take some of the suggestions mentioned here the Bushnell 4200 Elite is a fantastic buy and a great scope and very very close to the Conquest in optics.  If I had to pick which one is the better of the two between the 4200 and the Conquest, I'd personally say Conquest by a very slight edge.  However, if I was going down today to buy another scope and not on a magnum shoulder breaker (the 4200 has less eye relief) but on a standard cartridge hunting rifle ..............well put me down for the 4200 Elite

HAPPY SHOOTING

AC

If You're In A Fair Fight, You Didn't Plan It Properly

- Anonymous

Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonbravado Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/06/2006 at 08:25

yeah, if money isn't the deciding factor on the three above mentioned scopes........

close your eyes and pick one.......they are all good.

J

martin3175 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote martin3175 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/06/2006 at 22:07
For the money- the Elite 4200 is value leader in it's price class. Optically, I believe they are virtually identical,but would give the nod to Bushnell for the rainguard coating .
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonbravado Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/07/2006 at 07:35

that coating does sharpen that image - i don't know how/why, but it does.

i am a big fan of the image produced by the 4200's - it is as good as the conquests, IMO.

J

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic