OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Varmint Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

shepherd scopes

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zoog91864 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: shepherd scopes
    Posted: December/03/2006 at 12:34

Does anyone have any experiance with the shepherd scopes?

.38 special
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/04/2006 at 03:02

Welcome to The OT!!

Feel free to pull a "search" on Shepherd scopes, my friend.

Bunch of threads...some good....some not so good.

http://www.opticstalk.com/search.asp?KW=shepherd&SM=1&am p;SI=PT&FM=0&OB=1

If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
tarkio View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tarkio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/04/2007 at 01:35

I bought one and put it on my .270 Wby mag.

So far I am really pleased. The glass is maybe a bit brighter and clearer than everything except for the Euro glass.

Mounting is critical. The horizontal reticle needs to be absolutely perpendicular to the axis of the gun.

After a little practice, shooting the Shepherd is very natural, reflexive.

Drop me a note if you would like to talk more about these.

I am considering a Shepherd for my new .204.

Good luck.

Matthew

Trinidad View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trinidad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/04/2007 at 11:12

I have seen a few Shepherd scopes and I did not like the glass or the reticle and desighn of those scopes.

I agree with Mike McDonald on this post that a investment in a shepherd is not a good investment. There are much better scopes for the price IMO.

http://www.opticstalk.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=4246&KW=sh eper+d+scopes&PN=0&TPN=2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/04/2007 at 14:51
Originally posted by SVD666 SVD666 wrote:

I agree with Mike McDonald on this post that a investment in a shepherd is not a good investment. There are much better scopes for the price IMO.

http://www.opticstalk.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=4246&KW=sh eper+d+scopes&PN=0&TPN=2

Yep, me too.

Staple00700 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Staple00700 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/09/2007 at 18:46
I  have  two  Shepherd  V1 series on two identical  Howa  M1500  22-250's  and would say without a doubt they greatly improved my hit rate on prairie  dogs  (doesnt take much too increase from  sucky to kinda sucky shooting)  I went  through a gammit of scopes  over 4 years worth of trips to settle on  these.  The glass is not super at  high magnification
but it is really good..reticles are a tad...just a tad..too thick ...it does not obscure the target...just wish they were fine hairs.  I certainly got what I paid for and that was the ability to range my target, have the proper holdover and to actually see were the windage was set..as I hate to fiddle around with the adjustments shot after shot.  I would buy again for long range shooting any day.  You can do these things with some other scopes but not exactly like the Shepherd..hope this was of some help.  I am also now considering the new m556 version for my new .204 howa.  Be glad to discuss further.
"I saw this on cartoons once, but I'm pretty sure it will work."
tarkio View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tarkio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/09/2007 at 21:57

Thanks for the input. There are a lot of people/purists here who do not like the Shepherd  in general, the glass, the design, the reticle etc. They may be correct in their assessment to some degree. But I believe that in the real world of using a rifle for hunting (shooting things at various unknown and unexpected distances where time can be critical)  the Shepherd is a nice compromise. The scope allows you to range targets almost reflexively after a little use and take the shot without having to estimate range, adjust your reticle and then sight your target again and shoot.

I do not like adjusting a scope, shooting and adjusting again. It is almost inevitable that you will adjust, shoot and then forget to rezero or forget where you are and then have a different shot to take quickly and not have much chance for success. The Shepherd system works in this environment. 

When I do have the chance to hunt it is usually for deer or elk and sometimes hogs. But we are always on the lookout for coyotes which requires reacting very quickly to have any chance of success.

For this reason I like the Shepherd. I would prefer it if it were $400 instead of $650-$700. But it isn' and I don't suppose it will be.

For the purists out there, tell me what scope does have a very simple range finding sytem that is reflexive and works at all magnification levels? Tell me what scope will allow me the flexibility to shoot quickly at different distances out in the field from 50 yards to over 500 yards without having to fiddle with my scope over and over again. For the conditions we hunt in (western US mainly Montana) tell me what scope you would recommend

With regard to your comment on High Magnification , I can't say. I generally am either on the low setting, essentially glassing, or dialed up to about3/4 of the scopes magnification. The exception is for long shots where I have time and a very good rest.

Again, thanks for the input.

Matthew

Staple00700 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Staple00700 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/10/2007 at 05:08
If  you are shooting larger targets  you might look at  this. (Nikon 6x18 x40 with BDC reticle)

i cannot tell from literature on scope is if reticle is in the first or second focal plane...i like first plane as the size of circles woud grow and shrink with power adjustment relative to target.

if it is first plane....might be worthy of purchase ... the Nikon glass i have looked thru is better than the
Shepherd.  This is side focus as well which makes it even more    quick shot friendly...at least to me.
"I saw this on cartoons once, but I'm pretty sure it will work."

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/10/2007 at 13:53

All Nikon's have RFP reticles.

longbow308 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote longbow308 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/10/2007 at 18:58
I HAD ONE, AND WAS NOT PLEASED WITH IT,OR HOW IT WORK WITH LOADS.
MR.SHEPERD TOLD ME TO USE IN MY 25-06. THE HOLD OVER WAS NO WHERE NEAR
RIGHT.SOLD IT TO SOMEONE I DIDN'T LIKE.JUST JOKEING I SENT IT BACK
BEFORE THE 30 DAYS WERE UP.GOT BACK ABOUT 70% OF MY $$$ A LOSE TO ME
MYSELF I WOULD NOT BUY ONE.BUT THATS JUST ME
longbow308
Aim small Miss small
greenejc View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greenejc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/21/2012 at 01:50
     I have been using Shepherd scopes since 1985.  The optics are capable of allowing hits on targets out to 4 and 5 hundred yards in a 3rd of a moon.  I have killed deer with a Shootist model Shepherd (from 1985) with only 5 minutes of legal light left.  You set it on 5.5 power and that gives you the largest optical exit along with a clear image.  With the old optics of this scope, I hit my deer at over 350 yards and could clearly range her and see the reticle for the shot.  The newest Shepherd I have is a P2 310 model, and is much clearer.  Big Smile  I have four Shepherds, by the way.  Two P2s, one Shootist and 0ne P1A.  I sent the Shootist in to Shepherd three years ago, and Dan rebuilt it for me.  They replaced all worn parts, all orings,purged and nitrogen filled it and relubed it.  They measured the light geathering characteristics of the lensed, too.  97%.  Pretty good for a 25+ year old scope.  It cost me $15.00 shipping and handling. 
     My newest Shepherd P2 is on a 35 Whelen.  I have killed about 15 deer with it at ranges from 50yds out to 450+yds.  On Fort Riley, I have shot on the Longrange Private Range out to 700 meters and hit at 700 meters.  That was in a 20mph full value crosswind, too.  I adjusted the reticle with the circles for windage on a steel plate at 400 yds, adjusted for drop for the Sierra 225 gr Game King at 2725 Ave. vel. (BC .380) and got a 2nd round hit on the targets.  I hit the 600m ones first shot.  I fired 5 rounds at 700m and hit 4 times.  I then adjusted back to zero for a still day, and fired one verification shot.  I killed three deer on Ft. Riley that fall, and two more on private land without another adjustment.  Because the scope has two reticles, I could see whether it was back to a zero windage 'zero'.  And because the ranging reticle magnifies, I can range at any power, which makes it easy to use in low light conditions at the most effecient light gathering power (5.5).  I have to watch my watch to make sure I don't take an early or a late shot with this scope.  And it matches my 30-06 to at least 800 meters, because I have hit targets at that range with my Ruger M77MkII at that distance using the circles (875yds approx.) Load:  55gr. IMR4350 and Nosler 180gr Ball.Tip.  Rem brass and Rem 9 1/2 primer.  Groups are 1" or less.   Last January I used the 35 Whelen and P2 scope to range, shoot and kill three doe at 280, 325 and 360 yards and all shots were fired in less than 30 seconds.  One 225 gr Sierra each.  Venison in the freezer.  What more do you want?  Hands free calculator free chest shots out to 800 or more yards in low light conditions at any power.  And I've bounced myself and my Shepherds down every ravine on Ft. Riley, Ft. Carson and a good portion of the Colorado Rockies without breaking them (I might have frayed a little periodically, tho).  What more do you want in a scope?  I'm in the market for another P2 for my O3-A3, if anyone wants to get rid of a late model in 3X10 or 6X18.   
35 Whelen forever
billyburl2 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billyburl2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/21/2012 at 08:43
The only experience I have with a Shepard scope is watching a friend deal with their excellent Customer Service. Out of the 3 consecutive scopes they sent him, only one lasted longer than 5 rounds on a Tikka light-weight chambered in 300 WSM. He finally picked up a Night Force and called it good.
If it is tourist season, why can't we shoot them?
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/21/2012 at 09:29
This thread is 6 years old.

I know ALLOT about Shepherd scopes, keep far away. Far!
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
greenejc View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greenejc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/22/2012 at 01:43
     I've had no problem with recoil where Shepherds are concerned.  I have had two mounted on a 35 Whelen which I have put around 1200 to 1400 rounds through with both 225gr and 250 gr bullets at max or near-max loads.  Velocities are over 2675 with 250gr bullet and 2725 with 225 gr. Sierra bullet.  Recoil matches a .338 WinMag and exceeds 300 Weatherby recoil in the same type of rifle.  The only problems I had with the scope had to do with the way Remington failed to properly tap the action and with rings letting the scope slip during recoil.  I corrected the first with windage adjustable rings and the second by putting masking tape on the inside of the rings to increase friction and cushion the scope when I tightened it.  I also used a leveling tool to insure that the reticle was level with the bore.  If the Vertical Crosshair isn't vertical to the bore it won't be accurate at distance.  I also have one of the P2s mounted on a Ruger Mod 77MKII.  Both rifle and scope date from 1995.  I used regular Ruger rings and it has held zero for the loads I use for 17 years now.  I did remount and rezero it about 5 years ago when I got my leveling tools because it was slightly off, but that's all I've done to it.  Shoots great out to 700-800yds.  I'm not going to shoot an elk or a deer at that distance, but it would work.  What more do you want in a hunting weight rifle?  I've killed lots of deer with both rifles and scopes at distances from 30yds to 500 and they seem to work just fine for me.  I'm putting another one on a 300wm this Spring when I return from Afghanistan. 
35 Whelen forever
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/22/2012 at 10:45
Originally posted by greenejc greenejc wrote:

I've had no problem with recoil where Shepherds are concerned.  I have had two mounted on a 35 Whelen which I have put around 1200 to 1400 rounds through with both 225gr and 250 gr bullets at max or near-max loads.  Velocities are over 2675 with 250gr bullet and 2725 with 225 gr. Sierra bullet.  Recoil matches a .338 WinMag and exceeds 300 Weatherby recoil in the same type of rifle.  The only problems I had with the scope had to do with the way Remington failed to properly tap the action and with rings letting the scope slip during recoil.  I corrected the first with windage adjustable rings and the second by putting masking tape on the inside of the rings to increase friction and cushion the scope when I tightened it.  I also used a leveling tool to insure that the reticle was level with the bore.  If the Vertical Crosshair isn't vertical to the bore it won't be accurate at distance.  I also have one of the P2s mounted on a Ruger Mod 77MKII.  Both rifle and scope date from 1995.  I used regular Ruger rings and it has held zero for the loads I use for 17 years now.  I did remount and rezero it about 5 years ago when I got my leveling tools because it was slightly off, but that's all I've done to it.  Shoots great out to 700-800yds.  I'm not going to shoot an elk or a deer at that distance, but it would work.  What more do you want in a hunting weight rifle?  I've killed lots of deer with both rifles and scopes at distances from 30yds to 500 and they seem to work just fine for me.  I'm putting another one on a 300wm this Spring when I return from Afghanistan. 

what weight of bullet were you using to compare your recoil calculations?? when i ran it with my .300wby i used a 220 gr bullet with a max load supplied by nosler and i came up with more recoil with my weatherby. i compared it to the max load nosler listed with a 225gr . 35 whelen and used a rem 700, since it was exactly the same weight as my weatherby, and they were close but the weatherby was still about 3ftlbs more of recoil and more importantly its was a faster kick, which to me makes a huge difference when considering a scope choice.
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/22/2012 at 18:05
You would never make a good politician, Hunter.  You are using information based upon data...
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/22/2012 at 20:05
Originally posted by Kickboxer Kickboxer wrote:

You would never make a good politician, Hunter.  You are using information based upon data...

i also am a terrible liar, so yeah your right!Big Grin
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
captainemil View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote captainemil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/23/2012 at 08:29
I have 2 Shepherd scopes on a pair of 300 win. ,for 20 years, scope are clear no fog, does what you ask it too. But I do not like ANY scope with a bunch of lines all through it. Shooting at night or shooting fast at a long range, witch dot or line do I use, it will get confusing some time.
greenejc View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greenejc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/23/2012 at 10:22
My maximum recoil comes from a 250grain Speer HotCore at 2680fps, using RL 15 with a charge weight of 60.0gr.  (1/2 gr over max)  Impact at the muzzle is about 4000ftlbs.  Remington brass shows no swelling using a set of calipers, primers are flattened just a little less than a standard 30-06 round pushing a 180gr CoreLokt at 2700fps.  The primers are 9 1/2 Rem large rifles, Remington brass (New) and the 225 Sierra charge is 60.5gr of RL15.  Primers are just beginning to flatten and no brass swelling.  Both loads shoot under an inch at 100yds with 5 shot groups.  These loads are safe in my 700 but work up if you use them in a Whelen.  The 250 gr. load is a heavy hitter on both ends.  I used a Chrony betamaster to verify velocities 10ft from the muzzle with these loads on several days and different wind, temperatures and weather conditions.  My barrel has a 1 in 16in twist rate, so I get the best accuracy from the Sierras, tho. 
35 Whelen forever
greenejc View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greenejc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/25/2012 at 03:56
Did that answer your question about the recoil?  The 250 gr Speer at 2675-2690 (Ave. 2680-85)generates several ftlb more that the 225 Sierra.  I ran the mv on a Chrony Betamaster.  I shot several 5 shot groups on different days in different temperature/humidity conditions and they stayed within 25fps overall.  But I don't shoot much more than 25 or 30 rds at a sitting.  The recoil from a bench is stout. 
35 Whelen forever
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic