OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

sightron shock

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jackG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: sightron shock
    Posted: December/02/2006 at 17:51

I got on this site a week or so ago and starting reading.  Up to now, I, probaby like a lot of hunters,was aware of 2 or 3 commonly used scope brands.  Then there are the low end cheapies - not going there .  And, of course the very high end stuff which takes a lot of explaining to justify when the credit card  bills arrive.  I assumed my options for a decent, reliable hunting scope would include Leupold, Nikon and Bushness, plus a few names on the periphery.  I'd never heard of Sightron, let alone handled one. 

I'm shopping around for a Tikka T3 lite in 270 short magnum.  I'd been looking at the VX-1 and II, and perhaps the Bushnell 4200.  Today I went to the local Sportsmens Warehouse.  They had the Tikka in blue and SS, plus, they had a couple of Sightrons, one is the 3-9X42 S2.  I compared it to the Bushnell 4200, the VX-II and the Nikon Monarch.  Now I realize that in the store, looking at stuffed animals hanging on the wall, it's a little hard to reach profound conclusions.  However, the clarity, brightness and sharpness of the Sightron appeared to be right in there with the others.  If there was a discernable difference, I couldn't detect it.  The shocker was the price.  Right at $200. 

On a recent MT hunt I was using a Leu compact 3-9 on a model 7 Rem in 7mm-08.  That scope was certainly no sharper, and perhaps a little less than this one.  I wound up filling three tags with that package, confirming that the Lue, certainly no better if as good as the Sightron, will get the job done.  I"m very tempted to pick up the SS Tikka and install the Sightron on it.  I have no doubt I could do whatever I wanted with it in the field. 

cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/02/2006 at 19:22
If your going to go with Sightron, I'd try to stay with the SII or III. The SI isn't quite as good.
If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
jackG View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jackG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/02/2006 at 20:52
Cheaptrick - I'm on with that.  It's an SII. 
Charlie70 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charlie70 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/02/2006 at 22:56
I've got an SII on my Ruger #1 25-06 and have been very pleased with it. Very clear and holds zero well. Good buy imo.....
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/03/2006 at 12:47
Sightron S2 is a quality scope at a very reasonable price. Only thing I would like to see is some type of BDC reticle for use out past 200 yds where hold over becomes more challenging.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
JPinSC View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JPinSC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/06/2006 at 19:12
I have not used a Sightron rifle scope, but I am impressed with the glass in my 2x pistol scope. In addition, I had a problem with the windage adjustment and the gun shop asked no questions and installed a new scope on my contender on the spot.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic