OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

which reticle?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seattlesetters Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: which reticle?
    Posted: December/01/2006 at 13:34
I've narrowed my scope choices. Now, if like advice on which reticle would work best for me I will be hunting in open country with shots expected to range from 100-350 yards, mostly in bright sunlight. My main concerns are pinpoint accuracy and the ability to rapidly select a single animal from a herd.

With the scopes I like, my choices are the traditional plex, heavy plex, ballistic plex, German #4 and Mil-Dot.

Any help would be appreciated.
jonbravado View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonbravado Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/01/2006 at 14:04

what caliber rifle will you use?

J

seattlesetters View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seattlesetters Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/01/2006 at 14:28
The rifle is chambered for 7mm-08 Rem.
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonbravado Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/01/2006 at 14:56

i wouldn't venture out too far over 300 yrds w/ a 7mm08 - GREAT caliber though -

i have heard of kill shots over 350, but very rarely.

i have always been partial to the german #4 myself - it gives you lots of open space at the top for target finding, but you

may not need the thickness of the reticles in the daylight - i like it because most of my shots are near dawn and dusk.

it is a good all around reticle, but since the ballistics of a 7mm08 are very similar (better in some areas) to a 308 -

the mildot may not a bad choice either - any thoughts, guys?

J

Trinidad View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trinidad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/01/2006 at 15:05
For your application the traditional plex will be a good choice and will save you money.
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonbravado Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/01/2006 at 15:10

what scopes have you narrowed it down to?

J

Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seattlesetters Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/01/2006 at 15:56
I'm looking at the Sightron S2 3.5-10x42mm, the Mueller TAC II 3.5-10x44mm, the Pentax WTU 3.7-11x42mm and the Burris Signature 3-10x40mm.

I must admit the Zeiss Conquest 3-9x40mm is tempting, but I really want to make this my "open country" rifle, and I want it to be firmly in the middle range price-wise.

I'm hoping to later add a "timber" rifle chambered for the new .338 Federal. I'll spend more on glass for that rifle because light-gathering will be my number one concern...and that costs $$$.
Trinidad View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trinidad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/01/2006 at 16:07

Out of the scopes you mave mentioned my pick goes to the Signature select.

The Meuller tac II should not be option IMO. I also would like you to consider the

4200's, they offer alot of scope for the money

http://www.swfa.com/pc-4553-360-burris-3-10x40-signature-sel ect-rifle-scope.aspx

http://www.swfa.com/pc-1277-185-bushnell-25-10x40-elite-4200 -rifle-scope.aspx

http://www.swfa.com/pc-7280-185-bushnell-3-9x40-elite-4200-r ifle-scope.aspx

Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seattlesetters Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/01/2006 at 20:10
Originally posted by SVD666 SVD666 wrote:

Out of the scopes you mave mentioned my pick goes to the Signature select.

The Meuller tac II should not be option IMO. I also would like you to consider the

4200's, they offer alot of scope for the money

http://www.swfa.com/pc-4553-360-burris-3-10x40-signature-sel ect-rifle-scope.aspx

http://www.swfa.com/pc-1277-185-bushnell-25-10x40-elite-4200 -rifle-scope.aspx

http://www.swfa.com/pc-7280-185-bushnell-3-9x40-elite-4200-r ifle-scope.aspx

Thanks for the reply.  Based on your recommendation, I'll knock the Mueller off the list...you're the second person who has warned me off them. 

However, I have no interest in Bushnell Elite scopes...a couple of people I know have had issues with them in our rainy climate.

So, any more advice on a reticle for the Burris, Pentax or Sightron?
Trinidad View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trinidad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/01/2006 at 21:45
The Burris I linked above will be a fine choice.
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/02/2006 at 02:59
I think Tac II is a pretty decent scope actually, but Signature Select and Sightron S2 are better as is Elite 4200.  Naturally they are also more expensive for the most part.

For open country, holdover reticle is pretty useful, so I would suggest a Burris Signature Select 3-10x40 with Ballistic Plex reticle.

ILya
sscoyote View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sscoyote Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/02/2006 at 16:41

Originally posted by SVD666 SVD666 wrote:

For your application the traditional plex will be a good choice and will save you money.

Exactly.

Steve
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic