OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Dangerous Game Scope

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote claytonkolb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Dangerous Game Scope
    Posted: December/01/2006 at 00:13

I have the 10rd compact Steyr rifle (Mountain Version) and would like to find a great small, fast, and clear scope for it.  I like the German #4 reticle or the heavy duplex for fast shooting in the heavy rainforest here in Washington. I notice Zeiss doesn't make a Dangerous Game style of scope anymore and I am really in the 500$ or less catagory anyway.  Is there a scope in the 9" length and really light weight anymore?  If so can you guys point me in the right direction?

koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/01/2006 at 01:16
Leupold FX-II 2.5x20 would probably fit the bill.

On the low end, there is Weaver V3 1-3x20

I'd also recommend looking at Trijicon Accupoint 1.25-4x24 and Meopta Meostar 1.5-5x20

ILya
Trinidad View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trinidad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/01/2006 at 12:06

I second the Meopta Meostar 1.5-5x20 or look into the discountined Kahles C1.1-4x24 scopes for a truly great performer at a great price while they last.

claytonkolb View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote claytonkolb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/01/2006 at 14:00

Thanks Guys!!!!!

I will take a look at those scopes, but I notice that Leupold has the scopes in question in the VX-III series.  Is it worth the extra money to go from a VX-II to a VX-III? 

jonbravado View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonbravado Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/01/2006 at 14:06

it is my understanding that there is a noticable difference in optical quality from the vx-II vs the vx-III

definitely check out the meostart by meopta - the glass is superior and they have great reticles.

good luck.

J

Trinidad View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trinidad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/01/2006 at 14:12

The Leupold and Weaver are not  good choices IMO. These scopes lack the quality in the Weavers case

and optical properties with both compared to the other scopes listed.

mwyates View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mwyates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/03/2006 at 15:48
Many custom builders of DGR's recommend the Leupold VX III 1.5-5X20 as the scope of choice.  Get the VX III instead of the VX II if you can afford it.  The other option would be a quality low power non'variable.    Contrary to what you might read above, these have been found to hold up under heavy recoil.
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/03/2006 at 16:09
I was suprised to see how bright the 1.5 - 5 Vari-X III was this season. Dave Talley told me once that Ross Seyfried used this scope on his guns and this is when I asked about something for a 7 mag.
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote claytonkolb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/04/2006 at 01:28

So its looking like the VX-III scope are the way to go.   Which reticle would be faster in dark forest situations, the Leupold German #4, German #1, or the Heavy Duplex?

mwyates View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mwyates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/04/2006 at 08:37
I've got the Heavy Duplex in a FX III 6X42.  It's actually a bit heavy for my purposes, but I think it would work great for yours.  The #4 is probably OK, but I'd like the heavier reticle myself.
silver View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/04/2006 at 08:48

I like the fact that the #4 offers a cleaner field of view.  There is not so much stuff blocking the light coming in.  There is not the post taking room and blocking the view of what else may be happening.

"If we weren't all crazy we, We would go insane."   Jimmie Buffet

WWW.formitch.com

Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonbravado Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/04/2006 at 09:32

you can't go wrong w/ a #4 - it's thick enough to notice in the low light and open at the top for 'finding' your targets.

it's the choice of reticle on my last 4-5 scopes.........love em.....

good luck.  did you look at the meostar scope, yet?

J

Trinidad View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trinidad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/04/2006 at 16:03
Originally posted by claytonkolb claytonkolb wrote:

So its looking like the VX-III scope are the way to go.   Which reticle would be faster in dark forest situations, the Leupold German #4, German #1, or the Heavy Duplex?

I am sorry you feel that way about the Leupold scope ,it is not the best way to go. The #1 is the fastest in a dark forest followed by a FFP #4  IMO.

Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonbravado Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/05/2006 at 07:38

Who in the heck talked you into the Leupold? 

You need to compare before you pull the trigger on those.

There are noticably better scopes for less money.

J

mwyates View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mwyates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/05/2006 at 17:15
Originally posted by jonbravado jonbravado wrote:

Who in the heck talked you into the Leupold? 

You need to compare before you pull the trigger on those.

There are noticably better scopes for less money.

J

Ask around of some people who actually own and use DGR's.  You'll still want the Leupold.

Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote claytonkolb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/05/2006 at 23:39
I like the Meopta 1.5-5x20 Meostar R1 30mm Rifle Scope but it is nearly 650$!!!!  That is nearly 200$ more than the Leupold VX-III scopes.  In need fairly light, compact (under 9" in length) and fast reticle.  But seems I have landed on a diffcult scope to get now days, because for some reason not every scope manufacture is making them in all there line of scopes.  Which I think is weird, because there is a whole host of rifles that are being made with 20" or less barrels and are being made for the brush/heavy forest.  Not too metion, isn't there still people heading on safari's shooting  "Dangerous Game". 
silver View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/06/2006 at 09:27

clayton,

Let's remember that the comapnies who make rifles scope are a business.  They do not do it for free.  They have to ask the question, how many of these would we sell, and how much would we make?  What's the return on my investment or how quickly would I double my money if I sell this verses that?

"If we weren't all crazy we, We would go insane."   Jimmie Buffet

WWW.formitch.com

Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonbravado Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/06/2006 at 09:58

the meopta meostar may be a lil pricier -

but it is compared to the high-end zeiss and swaro's - they must be doing something right.

i have one, and consider these scopes part of the elite few.  i absolutely love it.

J

Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote claytonkolb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/10/2006 at 00:35

Silver

I see your point, I assumed that there were a lot of people looking for DGR scopes.

Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/10/2006 at 09:48

Originally posted by koshkin koshkin wrote:

Leupold FX-II 2.5x20 would probably fit the bill.

On the low end, there is Weaver V3 1-3x20

I'd also recommend looking at Trijicon Accupoint 1.25-4x24 and Meopta Meostar 1.5-5x20

ILya

Koshkin was on the right track with the Trijicon Accupoint 1.25 - 4 x 24 If you have not considered this scope you have missed the boat as it is both Tritium and fiber optic lighted and uses a POST reticle. This is a Dangerous Game Scope and the lighted reticle is quite valuable in low light.

TR21R Trijicon 1.25-4x24 Accu-Point Rifle Scope Trijicon 1.25-4x24 Accu-Point Rifle Scope
  • Matte
  • Red Triangle BAC
  • 1"
SWFA: $534.95

More Info... Buy Now

If you go Leupold

LEU54902 Leupold 1.5-5x20 VX-III 30mm Riflescope Leupold 1.5-5x20 VX-III 30mm Riflescope
  • Matte
  • Illuminated Duplex
  • 30mm
  • Index Matched Lens System
SWFA: $579.95
More Info... Buy Now

Another route would be an AimPoint

11420 Aimpoint 2x 9000L 30mm Red Dot Sight Aimpoint 2x 9000L 30mm Red Dot Sight
  • Matte
  • 1 MOA
  • 30mm
  • Free Aimpoint Bikini Lens Cover w/ Purchase
SWFA: $422.95
More Info... Buy Now

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic