OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Handgun Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Scout scope

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GSPKurt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Scout scope
    Posted: November/29/2006 at 21:16
Can I use a handgun scope for a scout scope on a rifle? I bought a Marlin 1894C in .357, and want a scout scope, but the price is too much right now after buying the gun.
Kurt
Trenton, FL.
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/08/2007 at 10:26
Check the listed eye relief distance on the scopes you are considering and use that as your guide.  Most red dot scopes are 1x and so have unlimited eye relief and could be used for your purpose.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
GSPKurt View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GSPKurt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/08/2007 at 20:00
I put a (BSA) pistol scope on that a buddy gave me. It worked fine, and I like it. Now to start saving for a good scout scope...
Kurt
Trenton, FL.
Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/27/2007 at 18:17

Yes pistol scopes can be used as scout scopes- in fact the pistol are shorter in length (usually) and can be mounted further forward also lower as the lower powers are missing the front bell. I used the 2x BSA on a forward mount 1187 it took a couple of hundred slug rounds without failing, Only complaint I had was it had a yellow tinge in the glass and the tube material was too soft, disforming when the rings were tightened, but it still worked Hey--for $39 bucks.

Edited by Dale Clifford
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/23/2007 at 20:08

Just got the pictures taken--

Burris 2 power on my favorite 7mm-08 scout rifle.

catshot View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote catshot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/28/2007 at 12:40

Sure can. I have a Monarch 2x pistol scope set up on my Marlin 1895 G.S. 45/70. I use the XS Weaver type mount. It uses the buckhorn factory slot to mount on the Marlins. With that set up and a rear ghost ring you can remove the scope with Warn QD1's in a few seconds with no loss of zero, and use your iron sights. Its the best of both worlds. That has helped me consistently put meat on the table. 

weps28 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote weps28 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/10/2009 at 16:25
Is your rifle the Scout factory rifle or did you build it up?  What brand is the rear sight if not factory?  I'm planning on building up a Scout rifle and need resources.

Thanks!
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/10/2009 at 16:57
the rifle is the scout savage in 708 rear sight comes factory and is a williams with a ghost ring.
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/16/2009 at 16:22
You can use some pistol scopes, but not all.  SOme higher magnificatin pistol scopes have a bitt too much eye relief for most scout mounts.  If you stick to 2x pistols scopes, the eye relief is flexible enough to work like a charm as a scout scope.

Dale's Burris 2x20 is definitely one of the better options, but it is almost as expensive as a proper scout scope.

If you can spend a couple of hundred bucks or so, just go with the Burris 2.75x20 scout scope.

If you are looking to spend a lot less than that, I have had good luck with using Swift Reliant 2x20 pistol scope in a scout configuration.

ILya
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic