OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

two 3x9 scopes...

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote subway Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: two 3x9 scopes...
    Posted: November/29/2006 at 11:12

OK, I’m long overdue for a decision on which scope to purchase for a new rifle due to arrive later this week; an inexpensive  custom .243win built on a lefty Mauser action, McMillan A2 stock and heavy varmint / target barrel.   A main goal for this rifle is to allow me to spend the day at my local range shooting through a couple of boxes of ammo without beating myself up the way my current .30-06 Rem 700 does.  The .243 should have long range performance even better than my spaghetti barreled .30-06, with just a fraction of the 700’s recoil.

It all sounds good, except for the missing glass.  The bad news is that I’m financially “tight” right now and really can’t go beyond my very limiting $400 budget for a scope.  The good news is that I’ve narrowed it down to a pair of well regarded scopes for that price range: the Leupold M4 PR 3x9x40 and the very similar Zeiss Conquest 3x9x40.  Either can be had for $399 (or a bit less…) with a plain duplex reticle.   (while I would prefer a mildot reticle, I can’t justify the extra $100 right now, especially as I never shoot without my Nikon laser rangefinder in hand.) 

The two scopes seem very similar, except for a few small details:

o        The Leupold has ‘target’ knobs while the Zeiss has smaller standard knobs.

o        The Zeiss has a 2nd focal plane reticle

My primary concern has to do with the glass optical quality.  One worry I have is that the Leupold uses their “2nd tier” lens coating – their so-called ‘multi-coat” system.  My existing Leupold fxiii 6x42 fixed power scope (on the Rem 700) uses their top quality “indexed matched lens coating” and I’m concerned about taking a step backwards.  (naysayers really should check out the fxiii 6x42, it really is a helluva scope for the $$$)

I really don’t care about ‘target knobs’ or 1st vs. 2nd focal planes, but I am very concerned about optical performance.  Can anyone provide any insight concerning the glass quality of these two scopes?  And will I notice any change from my existing Leupold (index matched) versus the M4 PR Leupold (multicoat)?

Thanks!

subway; the radical leftist marksman
jonbravado View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonbravado Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/29/2006 at 12:08

get the zeiss - i have had a 44mm conquest that was a great scope.

much better glass and coatings, in my opinion.

good luck - and if you want another weapon that is excellent downrange ballistic-wise and kicks like a baby - get a 7mm08 - i love mine.

J

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic