OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

NEED A SCOPE FOR A 22lr

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonbravado Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: NEED A SCOPE FOR A 22lr
    Posted: November/29/2006 at 08:26

Any ideas on a scope for a 22LR?

it's a project of mine - an old beat up marlin bolt action 22 model 10 that i plan on shootin yard varmints with using CB short caps.

50 yards or less prolly max.  You guys' input is appreciated and respected.  This gun is fun to shoot with peep sites, but want to play sniper

in my yard. hehe.

i can spend some money on it if it's warranted, but a good value is desired.

thanks in advance.

J

silver View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/29/2006 at 09:27

I'd look for a good used 4x, 6x or 3x9.  An old 2-3/4 would work great too.  There is a lot to be learned about shooting by using a .22 at longer ranges, and you get to do it on the cheap.

"If we weren't all crazy we, We would go insane."   Jimmie Buffet

WWW.formitch.com

Noknees View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Noknees Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/04/2006 at 10:12

I couple of years ago I got a Nikon 4x prostaff for an old marlin bolt 22. The Nikon was About $100 at a local gunshop but I see its $80 on the sample list. For its intended purpose, Grey Squirrels while preseason deer scouting, and shooting rabbits out of the garden with CB caps its very clear and has the feeling of a nice scope.

The scope it replaced was a steel tube weaver 4X with a dot that I bought for $15 from a friend. He used on his slug gun and missed a deer in low light because of the Dot reticle.. he was so upset he let it go for nothing. That dot was really a nice squirrel reticle, but the Nikon is much brighter and clearer.

jonbravado View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonbravado Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/04/2006 at 10:20

thanks for the input - i have narrowed it down to a nikon and a simmons 22 mag -

any have any feedback on teh 22 mag scopes?

J

never e nuff View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote never e nuff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/04/2006 at 10:42
Hello Jonbravado, I will undoubtly suffer the wrath for this but here goes. I had the same idea but came to this conclusion. CB caps don't shoot accuratly enough enough in my three .22 rimfires to shoot anything past 15 yards. I still shoot them in an old stevens model 87 that allows you to lock the bolt shut, this really reduces the noise, it also has a very long barrel. 40 grains of lead sure is deadly. If you could be just a little louder then I would step up to a standard velocity .22 like the excellent wolf match extra ammo. Then you could reap the accuracy benefit and put some high mag. scope on the old Marlin. My set-up is a Marlin 880sq. with a BSA  Contender 4X16 set in discontinued  Tasco high steel mounts. Please do not give me a hard time I won the BSA in a high power shooting contest. The BSA is not that nice but it still makes it an honest 50 yard set-up at low cost.  
"The only interesting rifle is an accurate rifle."     Townsend Whelen
never e nuff View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote never e nuff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/04/2006 at 10:45
I would stay away from the simmons line for now , wait till the new reviews come back about meade
"The only interesting rifle is an accurate rifle."     Townsend Whelen
Tip69 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Tip Stick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tip69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/04/2006 at 11:44

I have 2 of the .22 Mag scopes and they both work great!  I have not compared side-by-side with the Prostaff, so I can't comment on which it better.  They are a couple of years old and I'm not sure who owned or made them.

BTW ... what is a CB cap?

take em!
jonbravado View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonbravado Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/04/2006 at 13:16

CB caps are 'powder free' 22 shorts - they fire at about 700-800 fps and are virtually silent.

they only use the primer as a propellant.

they are quite fun, but haven't tested them on the range w/ a decent setup.

i think i may have already bought the simmons (ok, i already bought it) scope, so i will give it a whirl.

i also bought some nice match grade ammo, so i will see what this old gun will do -

in actuality, i will probably never shoot more than 25 yrds w/ the cb caps in my back yard, so they

will come in handy, nonetheless.

thanks for the input guys.

J

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic