OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Best low light performance w/o glare

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CWPINST Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Best low light performance w/o glare
    Posted: August/04/2004 at 20:05

Chris, or others who have actually compared the scopes,

Of the 2x10x50mm through 4x16x50mm scopes on the market (under $600) , which do you feel gives the best light transmission with little to no glare at near dark?  As I indicated in another post, I have seen just how much better the Weaver GS is than the Vari-X-III.  I have not had the chance to look at the VX-III yet.  I am trying to narrow the field down between Weaver GS, Bushnell 4200, Leupold VX-III, Nikon, or possibly others.  I would appreciate some real world experiences/recommendations. 

Thanks!! 

If it ain't accurate at long distance, the fact that it is flat shooting is irrelevant.
Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/04/2004 at 22:46
CWPINST, I can tell you from owning 6 4200 Elites that the glass is outstanding, especially for the bargain price. Their are many folks that have commented that the optics in the Elites are equal to or in some cases better than the Weaver GS, Nikon UCC and the Burris Signature Series, but I will let them add their two cents worth. I have not had the chance to compare them to the New Vari-X lll's, but again from what I've read here on the forum that the previously mentioned scopes are at least as good as the new Leupold's at a lower cost. Keep one thing in mind, with myself included, that a lot of folks favor a particular brand for personal reasons and that when you are comparing scopes of this caliber I doubt that you would be unhappy with any of the above mentioned scopes. The Leupold will probably be the most expensive of the bunch. You mentioned low light hunting situations and the 4200 Elites (2.5-10x40)come with their new FireFly reticle which is thicker that Leupold's standard Duplex and when charged for ten seconds will glow in the dark for approx.up to two hours  I personally feel he the basic design of the FireFly reticle, glowing or not, is a great choice for big game hunting situations. It is truly amazing to see the reticle work in low light field conditions.
clmboss View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote clmboss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/05/2004 at 17:25

Try Kahles 3.5-10x50 American Hunter , I have one on my Sako 75 cal 375 and it blow away my old loopy varix III 4-14x50mm with illuminated ret. I saw 1 for $599 at samplelist .

Knewt View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice
Master Craftsman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Knewt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/05/2004 at 18:30
clmboss:

Not to change the subject... but... how do you like that Sako 75 / 375??

Thats on my short "to do list".... right behind the front porch. (My wife is tired of stepping in the mud).

How is the "terminal performance"?
clmboss View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote clmboss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/06/2004 at 23:49

The Sako 75 is a very aesthetically pleasing and functional rifle (mine is Deluxe), sub 1 inch groups at 100 yards . Its my favourite rifle for big game hunting . I have a 1.5-6x42mm Swarovski scope on it , just make a perfect match.Only thing i add was a muzzle brake .

Chris Farris View Drop Down
TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin
swfa.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Farris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/09/2004 at 14:30

For low light performance the Conquest, Elite 4200 and Grand Slam are tops in the mid price range scopes.  Each has its differences that might make you lean toward one over the other.  The Elite has a 4x power range (4-16), rainguard and free gear bag.  The Conquest has a constant eye relief and side focus on the 4.5-14.  The Grand Slam has the bullet proof Micro-Trac adjustments.

I would listen to clmboss's advice and check out the SampleList.com site for a Kahles or Swarovski 1".  I will be adding a bunch of Swarovski's this week.

Edited by Chris
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic