OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

magnification selection

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steadyshot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: magnification selection
    Posted: November/27/2006 at 15:24

I am going to be updating my 30-06 (Whitetail and Elk) rifle with a quality scope and early in considering both Burris and Leupold.  My previous scope is a cheaper 3x9-40.  I am considering the Burris 6x24-50 and Leupold comparable.  I do not do much hunting on the go walking through heavely wooded areas, mostly standing/sitting.  Is there any reason why a lower Mag. (ie 3-9x variable) would be better than the higher end 6x24x Mag?

Thanks- 

tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/27/2006 at 15:49

6-24X in any diameter are pretty huge scopes and out of place on most big game rifles IMO. The lower powers are nice in the thick stuff, also. If you can, take a look at a B-8 target or something equivalent at 300 yards. You'll see that a 9-10x max will work just fine. Getting excellent glass and coatings will provide a great sight picture.

http://www.riflescopes.com/products/423944M/bushnell_3-9x40_ elite_4200_rifle_scope.htm

http://www.riflescopes.com/products/200560/burris_3-10x40_si gnature_select_rifle_scope.htm

http://www.riflescopes.com/products/LEU55046/leupold_3.5-10x 40_vx-iii_riflescope.htm

Check out the price on that 4200.

Tip69 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Tip Stick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tip69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/27/2006 at 17:21

Actually..... a lower mag can be better if you don't have a rock solid base to shoot from when on the higher power!  I really can't imagine why you would want anything over 12x to hunt Deer or Elk with.  Unless you are going to be taking shots from the next county... which I hope you aren't.  Its nice to have a higher power when sighting in your rifle, but I'd recommend going with a higher quality 3-9 or 3-12 than anything over 16x for hunting.

Which lines in the Burris and Leupold are you considering?

take em!
silver View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/27/2006 at 17:49

Lets break down the issues.  If you were varmit hunting then the 6-24x50 might make sence.  When you has something as big as a deer or an elk, then you are not looking for a nat.  You need to think about something with a bit more field of view and low light performance. I am used to things that do not stand perflectly still and want a field of view that allow me to track things a bit.   I am used to hunting crappy weather, the high magification stuff is not very forgiving in terms of lighting.  How much time do you keep your scope on 9x?

You used the phrase "high end."  I think that may a have a differant meaning to me and others here.  Magification alone has nothing to do if something is high end, all though we have been conditioned that bigger is better.  In optics it is the amount of resolution (clarity) that makes thing "high end." I say that because I think if you feel the need for more powerful and clearer scope, you may be right.  I would suggest one of the better 3 to12 or 4 to 14 power scopes to you.  I would skip the Leupolds, because their glass has a poor clarity. I spend a lot of time behind a camera lens and I would look at Bushnell 4200s, IOR and Kahles.  Visit the sample list for some of the Kahles closeouts ;)

"If we weren't all crazy we, We would go insane."   Jimmie Buffet

WWW.formitch.com

steadyshot View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steadyshot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/28/2006 at 15:52

Excellent suggestions and all make sense.  I think I was considering the higher Magnification in my attempts to always be as dead on when sighting in my rifle at 200 yards.  The problem with what I've been doing is utilizing a ~$60 Tasco.  I think the optical quality of the glass will make a big difference.  What i meant by "higher end" scope was spending over $700+ for quality glass/optics. 

With the suggestions above I think considering the 4x-14x would make more sense.  I had been recommended Kahles as an excellent choice and will follow through in researching the options, but am surprised to hear you comment of the poor glass with Leupold?

(I was looking at the Burris black diamond 4x-16x-50)

Thanks for the excellent info and recommendations!

cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/28/2006 at 16:09
Originally posted by steadyshot steadyshot wrote:

Excellent suggestions and all make sense.  

I

Ah so, Grass Hopper.

Let light of OT.... enter you inner being.............

Make Grass Hopper stronger, thus allowing Grass Hopper to shed light to others.

Welcome to The OT!! 

If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/28/2006 at 17:18
I was going to go ahead and wax eloquent on light, dark, spirit of OT and such matter, but cheaptrick beat me to it, so I'll keep it mostly on the subject.

For a deer/elk hunting scope, in my opinion, it makes total sense to stick with something along the lines of a 3-9x40 or similar.  There are several reasons for that.  The biggest one is that the low magnification is low enough for wide field of view and high magnification of 9x is plenty for any reasonable shot out in the field.  Since, this is the most common type of a scope there is the most competition in this segment and you get the best glass for the money.  Also, these scopes are still fairly light and trim which makes a difference if you plan to be lugging the rifle around a lot. 

I would also stay with 1" scopes.  There is really no advantage in going to a 30mm tube for a hunting setup.  It just adds weight and bulk.

ILya

silver View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/28/2006 at 17:20
Originally posted by steadyshot steadyshot wrote:

Excellent suggestions and all make sense.  I think I was considering the higher Magnification in my attempts to always be as dead on when sighting in my rifle at 200 yards.  The problem with what I've been doing is utilizing a ~$60 Tasco.  I think the optical quality of the glass will make a big difference.  What i meant by "higher end" scope was spending over $700+ for quality glass/optics. 

With the suggestions above I think considering the 4x-14x would make more sense.  I had been recommended Kahles as an excellent choice and will follow through in researching the options, but am surprised to hear you comment of the poor glass with Leupold?

(I was looking at the Burris black diamond 4x-16x-50)

Thanks for the excellent info and recommendations!

Steadyshot,

I think that the Kahles is a good idea.  I spend a lot of time looking through camera lenses to make my living.  I work with Nikon ED lenses in semi lighted rooms.  Leupold could not sell a camera lens.  I do not think that Leupold makes a bad scope, however they do not have a good lens system.

WWW.formitch.com

Dolphin View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dolphin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/28/2006 at 20:39
These guys are right, stick with the 3x9 scope or slightly higher and I would go instead with the Bushnell Elite 4200 or Sightron SII and you will not go wrong.  The euro scopes are over priced and offer no great advantage, unless you want to pay for the prestige of having one.  Be self confindent and get a better scope for less money and put your extra cash into ammo or other goodies.
silver View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/28/2006 at 21:37

Dolphin is afraid of looking through a euro scope, because he might like. It's a denial thing.  If you can't tell the differance lazer surgery is an option 

I like the Bushnell 4200 series.  It is chrisp and clear, but a bit cold.  I bought the low end Kahles last year off the sample list.  My 2x7 is much chrisper and clearer on the low than all the other scopes I got to fondle.  It does give some up on the higher end, but is a warm piece of glass at all settings and noticeable better than Leupold at all settings.  You handle the Kahles and it does inspire confidence.  They have a nice smooth firm click.  The differance is like that of a production pocket knife like the benchmade and a true custom knife.  The fit and feel are better. 

I like the Euro reticles better too.  I like the 4a as it blocks your field of vision less with the reticle. I like to see what's going on, is the animials head or tail up?   I got the TDS reticle, but have not got to play with it at long ranges.   

WWW.formitch.com

jonbravado View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonbravado Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/29/2006 at 08:41

i second silver's reccommendation on the 4A reticle -

i have a 4200, 3x12x50mm w/ a 30mm main tube (discontinued) w/ an illuminated 4a.

it's one of the best scopes i have ever used. 

the 4a reticle is awesome for lowlight situations.  if you have this reticle as an option, get it.

good luck.

J

horsesandhorns View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsesandhorns Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/29/2006 at 09:04
You need to go look through a Zeiss Conquest before making a purchase on one of those "overpriced" Leupolds. Zeiss makes a 4.5 - 14 in 44mm and 50mm. I just bought a new 3-9x50mm and couldn't be any more happier with it.
Tip69 View Drop Down
Tip Stick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tip69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/29/2006 at 11:27

IMO Leupold makes a fine scope......... the "issue" is they just charge more than others for the same "quality".  In other words...... you can get as good a scope for less money from other makers.  What I do like about Leupolds is their eye-relief and their customer service has an excellent reputation!

There are some truely awesome scopes out there....... go out and look through as many as you can and let your

eyes make the decision!

take em!
Tip69 View Drop Down
Tip Stick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tip69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/29/2006 at 11:33

BTW............ the Burris black diamond has gotten very good reviews here ....... you couldn't go wrong with one of those!

take em!
jonbravado View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonbravado Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/29/2006 at 12:16

IMO - leupolds have gone downhill and cut some corners - the new stuff doesn't seem to be the 'value' it once was.

have they started outsourcing? something is different about them in the past 5-10 years it seems.

go with the elite 4200 or a zeiss conquest - both GREAT optics for the money.

J

wildnorthern View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wildnorthern Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/30/2006 at 15:35

I have been to cabelas and sportsmenswarehouse to look through all their scopes.  Price limit was $1250 max  I realize some peoples eyes see differenetly but this is what I found:

1) nightforce hands down

2) ziess conquest

3-?) kahles, leupold lps, swarovski, burris in no particular order

Best scope for your dollar hands down imo is the ziess conquest

cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/30/2006 at 15:43
Originally posted by wildnorthern wildnorthern wrote:

I have been to cabelas and sportsmenswarehouse to look through all their scopes.  Price limit was $1250 max  I realize some peoples eyes see differenetly but this is what I found:

1) nightforce hands down

2) ziess conquest

3-?) kahles, leupold lps, swarovski, burris in no particular order

Best scope for your dollar hands down imo is the ziess conquest

Welcome to The OT!!

If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic