OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Optics > Binoculars
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Leupold Cascade porro v.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baylian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Leupold Cascade porro v.
    Posted: November/25/2006 at 22:12

Has anyone seen these new porros?  How would they compare to the Minox BD BP porros?  How would they compare to the Bushnell Discoverers roof or porro?  How would they compare to Leupold Pinacles roof?  How would they compare to Pentax DCF SPs?  Which would you buy out of these choices?  Would you make other suggestions please.

Thanks in advance,  TJ

Not all who wander are lost. - JRR Tolkien
Chris in NorCal View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris in NorCal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/26/2006 at 09:40

From what I understand the order of optics quality of those you mentioned are as follows:

Pentax SP

Minox BDBR

Pinnacle

Discoverer

But I'm sure any of them will give you many years of optic pleasure

Baylian View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baylian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/26/2006 at 22:39

Thanks Chris.  I was hoping someone had seen the new Cascade porro and made some comparisons since neither the Cascade nor the Minox are available at any of the stores in my area.

Good hunting,  TJ

Not all who wander are lost. - JRR Tolkien
FrankD View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FrankD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/01/2006 at 11:35
I owned the 8x42 Leupold Cascade porro for a time. It was excellent in terms of brightness, apparent sharpness, color representation and lack of edge distortion. The only negative was the narrow field of view. Coupling that with the porro design gave them a bit of a tube-like image feel to me. If Leupold could significantly widen the field of view with a different eyepiece design then they definitely would have a winner at that price point.
Frank
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic