OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Optics > Binoculars
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Bushnell Porro VS Leupold Roof

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8Runner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Bushnell Porro VS Leupold Roof
    Posted: November/24/2006 at 02:18

I don't think these were ever compared. 

A buddy of mine has no preference between the porro and roof designs; he just wants the best optical low light performer out of the following two binos:

- Bushnell Legend Porro 8x42 ($110)

- Leupold Wind River Cascades Roof 8x42 ($250)

I've been reading that cheap Porros outshine entry level Roofs, but one has never put two actual models side by side to compare.  As such, how do the above two compare w/ each other.  Your experience would be appreciated......again!

Kind Regards,

Sean

Bird Watcher View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bird Watcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/24/2006 at 20:10
Cascades vs. Legends

FOV    341' vs. 430'
Ozs.   22.9 vs. 24 ozs
Dim.   5.5" vs. 5.25"
Exit   5mm vs. 5.25mm     
Eye R. 18mm vs. 15mm

As far as low-light capability, you will have to do some comparisons yourself, to determine the difference between the Bushnell optics, optical coatings & prisms vs. the Leupold phase coated prisms & optical glass.

The eye relief on the Cascades will be more favorable to eyeglass wearers. The exit pupil is almost identical between the two.

The Bushnell Legend comes with Rainguard water-repellent lens coating.

Also, some people prefer the 3D image representation of the porro prism binocular.

The wider FOV (field of view) on the Bushnell Legends definitely gives them the edge in that department.

The Bushnell has FMC (fully multi-coated) BaK-4 prisms as do the Leupold Cascades. Both are waterproof.

Don't forget, the Leupold Cascades 8x42 also comes in an Internal Focus Porro Prism Version.
lucznik View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucznik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/24/2006 at 22:03

The porro prism Legend will outclass (optically) the roof prism Cascade hands down, any day of the week (and twice on Sunday!)

What if the hokey pokey really is what it's all about?
jtucker View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jtucker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/25/2006 at 08:27
I've compared quitea few of the $200 to $600 roofs lately and thought the the Cascades were the best value in that range, and one of the better performers overall.  I did not look at any of the Bushnell though.  I prefer the Cascades to my older 7 x 35 Nikon porros, however the Nikons probaby do need professional cleaning.  One thing I did learn, is you should try before you buy if possible, as I think there is a fair amount of "personal preference" involved.
mwyates View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mwyates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/25/2006 at 11:08
I've spent a lot of time this year comparing two binoculars that are fairly new to me; Leupold Katmai 6X32 roofs ($300)and Nikon Premier SE 8X32 Porros ($600).  The Leupold Katmais are very good, and the Nikons are as good a binocular as I've ever looked through.  The Leupolds are my "woods" binoculars, and they are great for that.  6X is plenty when you're not looking over 150 yds, and the image quality of the Leupolds is as good as the Pentax 8X42 SP's I sold not too long ago.  Of course they're not as good in low light as the Pentax, but I haven't found them lacking at all in two months of early and late use.  The Nikons are just superb.  I use them on right-of-ways, cut-overs and beanfields.  I've spent a good bit of time comparing them to my brother's Swarovski EL 8.5X42.  The Swaro has a slight edge at near dark, but not a significant one.  In evey other respect, the Nikon is tops.  I wish they made an 8X42
Bird Watcher View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bird Watcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/25/2006 at 13:27
mwyates

If the opportunity ever presents itself, it would be interesting if you could look thru the Minox BD 8x44 BP porro prism binoculars.

With an exit pupil of 5.5mm & 44mm front objective lenses you just might like what you see.

mwyates View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mwyates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/25/2006 at 15:47
I would like to try the Minox, but no local dealers, including Bass Pro Shops, has them. 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic