OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Rifle scope for my new Tikka

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dolphin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Rifle scope for my new Tikka
    Posted: November/23/2006 at 09:46

After that long, somewhat "ugly" thread, for which I apologized to Ceylonc, my interest in Tikka rifles was sparked by all the enthusiasm.  I had read many a good review and as I said, I knew they were good rifles, but I had never handled or owned one.  I had handled a friend's Sako, but not a Tikka.  After research, I discovered Tikka, used to be a seperate rifle maker purchased by Sako and they were moved into their plant.  Not only that, but when barrels come of the line, no discrimination is made, as to whether they go on a Sako or a Tikka.  So, I purchased one and am awaiting arrival of my new Tikka Hunter in a 25-06.  Can't wait. 

My questions are, since I am not familiar with the gun are:  1:  From my understanding, it has an intergral scope rail and comes with rings, is this true?  The reason I ask, is that among, the many scopes in my closet is a Sightron SII 4x16 42mm, that would not fit on one of my Wbys., with extension rings due to the cartridge length, as the scope is relatively compact.  If the rifle indeed has an integral scope rail, as I understand this will solve the problem, as I would love to use this scope.  2:  If this is not the case, any recommendations, please.  3:  Any other scope recommendations for this rifle and caliber would be appreciated.  As everyone on this forum knows, I love the 4200s and Sightron SIIs and would love to buy another 4200, but I really need to put this brand new Sightron SII to use that was slated originally for a Wby 300mag.  At the time I did not want to purchase a one piece mount and mount the Sightron, as my local options for purchase are limited, so I have to resort to mail order, so it ended up mounting it with a Bushnell 3200 10x40mm mildot, which, actually I love.  Any recommendations would be appreciated.  Thanks guys.

cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/23/2006 at 10:28

Congrats on a fine rifle purchase.

I think you'll be pleased.

A buddys .308 Tikka is a very accurate rifle.

I never owned a Tikka, but loved the silky smooth action my Sako had.

If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
ruger62 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ruger62 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/23/2006 at 17:25
Just got a Tikka Camo SS in 25-06 and put a Elite 4200-2.5x10x40 on it with lightweight Talley rings and love it.Shot .75 first time out.I wouldnt use the Tikka rings for they are crap.Good luck and also you cant beat Tikka for value.
ceylonc View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ceylonc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/23/2006 at 19:45

I agree with ruger62's assessment of the Tikka rings.  The sets I've seen on T3 and T3 Varmint models looked and felt pretty cheap.  Talley's are great & should work well with your rifle.

With regard to scope choices, I'd try to go with the SII first, then look at an Elite 4200 or Meopta Meostar 7x56.  Then again, maybe you should tell us what you intend to use the setup for (hunting, target shooting, etc) before I go suggesting optics!

Best of luck to you & let us know your applications.

never e nuff View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote never e nuff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/23/2006 at 23:49
I urged a friend to purchase a T3 last year. He could not decide if he wanted it in .270 wsm or .300 wsm. He finally settled on the 30 cal. Just in case he ever got to shoot at an elk. It might be to big but no one could argue with 1" groups at 300 yards. What a tack driver! The craftsmanship and the functionality are flawless. The weapon is walnut stocked with blued steel. I mounted the scope with the supplied rings. The scope was a VXII 3-9X40. The scope is the weak point of the setup but perfectly adquate for the job at hand. I was also very impressed with the in line magazine, definatly one of the best made. I am sure you will be happy and your sightron will work fine. 
Dolphin View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dolphin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/24/2006 at 10:06
Is it true the rifle has an integral scope rail for the supplied rings?  I plan on using it as a hunting rifle and given the compactness of the SII scope, if it does have a rail, it would be simple to use the supplied rings.  But, some of you guys have questioned the quality.  Do you think the quality would be adequate for my purposes, or would you still upgrade regardless.  I love the one piece light weight Talley mounts and have them on many other rifles and could mail order them and get the withing several days, so that would not be a big deal.  If it does have an integral scope rail and the rings are crap, any other ring options that anyone would recommend without bases.  I just do not know enought about the rifle and I will not receive it, until next week.  I just want to know as much as possible about it and order anything I need to ready to mount the Sightron SII as soon as I get it.  Thanks guys.
never e nuff View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote never e nuff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/24/2006 at 10:30
Greetings Dolphin, As I stated in the above post. I mounted a 40mm gold ring on a T3 with the supplied rings. And yes the reciever is grooved for tikka rings, ala Ruger. This setup produced benchrest type accuracy. The mounts provided will seem different, but I see no reason not to use them for your purpose. If I recall correctly they are aluminum, and they are a little challenging to assemble, but the fasteners were of adquate size and once mounted to the rifle seemed plenty strong. We are talking about the same company that designed the rifle also designed the rings. My only question is if your sightron has a A/O if there will be enough clearance for it, that I can't tell you for sure. good luck    
thinkingman View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thinkingman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/24/2006 at 16:29

I have 3 Tikkas and all are outstanding.

I compared everything under $1000 and chose Tikka.

The rail is integral and the rings are NOT robust but after about 100 rds of 300WSM, my Burris FFII holds zero and just shoots.

PS, you have to pay alot of $ to get an aftermarket trigger like the stock Tikka.

Be aware Limbsaver/SVL makes a recoil pad...on my rifles it is mandatory.

silver View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/26/2006 at 06:49

A Tikka?  I think you need a Conquest to go with it. Step on throught to the otherside...

"If we weren't all crazy we, We would go insane."   Jimmie Buffet

WWW.formitch.com

jonbravado View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonbravado Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/27/2006 at 09:19

CONGRATS!!!!!

i knew you would come around  - you will be very happy w/ your T3!!!!

get leupold rings, that's all i have ever used on my sakos/tikkas and have dropped two weapons and

they both held zero's........so you be the judge.

i wish i would have gotten the wooden stock now, they are quite nice.

but the synthetic is nice and comfy too.

i would go w/ elite 4200 or maybe the meostar by meopta - GREAT for the money -

let me know what you think!!

J

thinkingman View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thinkingman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/27/2006 at 12:40

On my Tikka 300WSM, I only wish I'd gotten the laminate stock to add some weight and handle the recoil better.

The synthetic stock is very good, though.

jonbravado View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonbravado Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/27/2006 at 13:49

i TOO, am a fan of a heavier gun - then again, i usually don't hike miles into a hunt.

J

VegasHenchman View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VegasHenchman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/27/2006 at 20:48

I just ordered a Super Sniper 10x for my T3 Lite in 308 today from SWFA. Now to stock pile some ammo for the coming weekend.

After owning this rifle for 2 months , I am finally gonna get to shoot it :)

www.customknivesandguns.com
Carson-Blackwood-Rinaldi-Burke-Elishewitz
Brock_Brett View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brock_Brett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/28/2006 at 15:16

Warne makes some great rings for the Tikka. I have a Sig Select Burris 4-16X44 with AO and the Medium Warne Rings and it clears.

I 2nd the Limbsaver pad, have the Laminated Stainless 300 WSM and the factory pad just doesn't cut it.

Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VegasHenchman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/29/2006 at 22:43

I knew I should have ordered new rings for the T3 Lite , UPS just dropped off the SS 10X ( that I ordered Monday... SWFA.. you guys are the best ! ) , and low and behold the stock Tikka rings are 1"....

Guess another call to SWFA is in order

cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/30/2006 at 03:36
Originally posted by VegasHenchman VegasHenchman wrote:

I knew I should have ordered new rings for the T3 Lite , UPS just dropped off the SS 10X ( that I ordered Monday... SWFA.. you guys are the best ! ) , and low and behold the stock Tikka rings are 1"....

Guess another call to SWFA is in order

Ask for "The Optics Goddess".....aka Stephanie.....

If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VegasHenchman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/30/2006 at 20:39

local shop took care of me , and are less than a few blocks from the house , didnt have Tikka rings but did have the weaver bases with Warne 30mm rings.... and they mounted and boresighted it for free ( though I made sure to toss him a few $$$ afterwards to be show thanks ).

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic