OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Everything Else > Almost Anything Goes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

REMOVE BORE SIGHT FIRST!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper
Optics Goddess

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stephanie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: REMOVE BORE SIGHT FIRST!
    Posted: November/21/2006 at 09:41

For you Hunters and Shooters alike??? Please take Due note of this Happening !

You might also think of passing this along to others who might do likewise.

(This was forwarded without a club name or location.)

REMOVE BORE SIGHT BEFORE FIRING A LIVE ROUND

This is Karl Leffler, self-appointed photojournalist for the club.

Today, Saturday 30 September, there was a non-injury mishap on the

lower range. A customer, sighting-in his hunting rifle, forgot to

remove the boresight before firing a live round. It was a Savage

bolt-action, I believe in .30- 06. Attached are photos of the results.

The boresight was found almost all the way to the 100yd target

holders.

I'm sending this to newsletter director Laurits Dixon; Bill Anderson

and other range officers present suggested I also send it to President

Kadow, and while I had that page of the newsletter open I also decided

to send it to the R/O director Bill Laughlin. I gave cards with my

email address to some other R/Os and individuals who may also email me

for copies. Bill Anderson asked the shooter if he might donate the

remains of the barrel for hunter-safety courses. The rifle's action is

probably salvageable and work on it may be done at Brightwater

cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/22/2006 at 03:11

Holy Christmas, Optics Goddess!!

Amazing that the shooter wasn't hurt.

I bet it scared the bejeebers out of him...

He was in a big hurry to sight in that Nikon scope, it appears.

Rifle...check!

Ammo...check!

Eye protection...check!

Hearing protection...check!

"Damn, wheres my bore sighter?? I probably left it at home."

"Boy, these bore sighters are real time savers I'll tell ya."

"Modern technology, got to love it."

"Im going hot!!"

BOOM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

All kidding aside, I'm glad no one was seriously injured. It could have happened to any one.

Thanks for sharing.....

ETA:

A very good practice to prevent that type of thing from happening is to pull the bolt, visually check the bore, and run a dry patch through there.

Or better yet, leave the bolt out until your actually ready to shoot. Takes just a split second to look through the bore. 

I know, I know....I'm paranoid.

If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/22/2006 at 12:54
I've had a rifle blow up in my hands once (barrel obstruction, I think).  It is not pretty.  I took a bunch of pictures, but they got stolen with my computer, unfortunately.  However, I think I still have a few somewhere in my e-mail.  I'll post them if I can find them.

ILya

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/22/2006 at 12:57
What kind of rifle??
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/22/2006 at 13:31
M39 Mosin-Nagant.  The best I can tell, there was a core/jacket separation on when I fired a previous round.  I took apart the rest of the ammo from that box to look and I do not think the core was very well contained in the jacket (I carefully sectioned it).  I never bought Sellier-Belot ammo again.  That event is actually what prompted me to start handloading.

I found a few of the pics in an old e-mail.

Anthony View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anthony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/22/2006 at 20:41

Whoa nice floor

I have seen several rifles mishaps, but I was impressed by this banana peel.

Koshkin, you should consider yourself lucky that it was your Russian remanufactured coffee table that blew up and not a multi-thousand dollar rifle!

I'm the only one that knows anything around here. Don't ask me any questions though because i don't know anything
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/23/2006 at 02:50
Originally posted by Anthony Anthony wrote:

Whoa nice floor

I have seen several rifles mishaps, but I was impressed by this banana peel.

Koshkin, you should consider yourself lucky that it was your Russian remanufactured coffee table that blew up and not a multi-thousand dollar rifle!

It was actually a pretty rare Finnish M39 with a B-barrel on an antique 1895 Sestroretsk receiver.  I bought that rifle unfired and it was certainly my favourite rifle at the time.

ILya

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/23/2006 at 06:23

WOW!

Could you salvage anything odd that weapon, kosh?

The action, maybe?

koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/26/2011 at 22:07
Found this old thread while looking for something else.

I thought it was worth resurrecting.

ILya
helo18 View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote helo18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/26/2011 at 22:27
What did you end up doing with that rifle?  Good reminder to buy and use quality ammo and make sure your barrel is free from obstructions. 
To be prepared for War is one of the most effectual means of preserving peace.

GEORGE WASHINGTON
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/26/2011 at 22:28
I still have it. Some day, I will find a gunsmith who is willing to rebarrel Mosins.

ILya
338LAPUASLAP View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Scope Swapper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 338LAPUASLAP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/26/2011 at 22:41
wow, wow, wow...

I have always wondered which round was going to give me issues in firing some of the surplus...

I have yet to start reloading the 8mm, 7.62x54r and the 7.62x39 except for very special runs, I just can't match the price reloading them...

This might make me start thinking about it more seriously again.

On a side note, I am was very careless about dust/light debris (fuzzies and the such) in the barrel but have found running a boresnake down the barrel is giving me an added self confidence boost and I believe is keeping me safe,  I don't know if it was true but watched a you-tube video that looked like the first few pictures in this thread they said it was a staged video for a bore cleaning solution but I am not taking the chances it was enough for me to think about it now with the wife and kids and all, I never really worried when it was just me and my own.
No one
Gerry Atric View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gerry Atric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/27/2011 at 00:05

Koshkin,

Sorry about that Mosin blown to pieces, I  started handloading my Hungarian 91/30 post-war sniper when I bought a pack of Sellier and Bellot ammo and every single one of the cases had splitted necks after firing. Sad

As always with cases.....Lapua and Norma - never look back
BeltFed View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeltFed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/27/2011 at 12:08
We had a similar incident while I was at the range a year ago. The guy left a cleaning rod in the bore when he fired a Savage Mod. 99. The extractor came off the bolt and hit the R.O. in the stomach. It almost killed him as it perferated his bowl and it took an x-ray in the ER to find the extractor in his gut.
Life's concerns should be about the 120lb pack your trying to get to the top of the mountain, and not the rock in your boot.
lucytuma View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucytuma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/27/2011 at 12:15
I would have thought the pressure would have blown the laser bore sight out of the barrel, never thought for a minute that this would happen, now I know.

Edited by lucytuma - April/27/2011 at 12:15
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." - Thomas Jefferson
magshooter1 View Drop Down
Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote magshooter1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/27/2011 at 14:43
Saw those same Savage pics back in '06.  Only the ones I saw included pics of a guy on a stretcher by the bench and going to the ambulance.
Some people are educated BEYOND their intelligence.
Average Joe View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Average Joe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/27/2011 at 18:58
That,s the new Octo-barrel
I'm classic shag nasty type.
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/30/2014 at 19:17
Originally posted by cheaptrick cheaptrick wrote:

WOW!

Could you salvage anything odd that weapon, kosh?

The action, maybe?

I finally got around to salvaging that action and getting it re-barreled with an old take-off 91/30 barrel.

It is my project gun: I shortened a 91/30 stock, put a Jmeck mount on it did a few other things.  Now I need to properly bed and manufacture a cheekpiece.

ILya
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/30/2014 at 19:48
OK, I gotta try that with a .458… not one of mine, but I can pick one up really cheap.   THAT looks WAY cool… 
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
Sgt. D View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sgt. D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/30/2014 at 22:14
Interesting timing......... I am in the process of rebarreling a 1944 Mosin-Nagant to 308. A few mods to the bolt and ejector and your pretty much on the firin line. Think I'm gonna go with a thumbhole stock on this one. It will be my first 308. That I plan to keep that is.
Take care of Soldiers, Show em how its done and do it with em, Run to the Fight & and hold your ground! I die my men go home! If you're a NCO and this ain't you. GET OUT! GOD BLESS AMERICA!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic