OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Which inexpensive 10x-12x hunting scope?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seattlesetters Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Which inexpensive 10x-12x hunting scope?
    Posted: November/20/2006 at 22:54
Hi there! I'm new here and am looking to buy a hunting rifle scope with a top-end magnification on 10x, 11x or 12x (preferably closer to 10x).  The scope will sit atop a Remington SPS SS in 7mm-08 that will be used mostly for open-country mule deer, pronghorn and the occasional spike bull or cow elk, also in open country.

I would like the objective lens to be no more than 44mm in diameter...down to 40mm is even better.  Low-light performance will not be quite as important as overall optical clarity.

My absolute maximum budget is $400, but I'd like to get down to $350 or less, if possible.  And, please, no recommendations to "up your budget just a little more and get XXXXX brand scope."  The "boss" has told me the budget is final, and she means it!

I've been looking at the Burris Signature Series, Nikon Monarch, Pentax WTU in 3.7-11x, Sightron, Bushnell 4200, Weaver Grand Slam and even the new Simmons Aetec Master Series.  What is the best way to go?

Thanks for any help you can provide!

Dolphin View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dolphin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/21/2006 at 05:19
Sightron SII or Bushnell 4200 all day long.  Talley one piece mount would be perfect and relativley inexpensive.  Good luck and good hunting.
ceylonc View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ceylonc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/21/2006 at 08:35

Originally posted by Dolphin Dolphin wrote:

Sightron SII or Bushnell 4200 all day long.  Talley one piece mount would be perfect and relativley inexpensive.  Good luck and good hunting.

+1 and I'll include the Weaver Grand Slam for consideration.  Your budget of $400 max is perfectly reasonable for your application(s).

Best of luck to you. 

Tip69 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Tip Stick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tip69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/21/2006 at 09:27

Zeiss Conquest is $399.99.  I have a Grand Slam in 3.5-10X50..... its nice, but if I had it to do over, I'd get the Zeiss.  Not sure if you need to buy the mounts & rings with the $400...... if so, then the 4200 Elite would be my next pick.  I like the eye relief of the Zeiss a little better too.

Good Luck!

take em!
seattlesetters View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seattlesetters Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/21/2006 at 10:00
Originally posted by Tip69 Tip69 wrote:

Zeiss Conquest is $399.99.  I have a Grand Slam in 3.5-10X50..... its nice, but if I had it to do over, I'd get the Zeiss.  Not sure if you need to buy the mounts & rings with the $400...... if so, then the 4200 Elite would be my next pick.  I like the eye relief of the Zeiss a little better too.

Good Luck!

With all due respect, Tip, the first Zeiss Conquest scope that meets my requirements (3.5-10x44) is $589 on this website.

Where can I find one for $399?
Trinidad View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trinidad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/21/2006 at 11:50

Hello

Here is my pick for the features you have asked for and the budget you have presented.

http://www.riflescopes.com/products/200560/burris_3-10x40_si gnature_select_rifle_scope.htm

I would like to request that you  please not purchase any product made by Meade (Simmons,Weaver,Redfield)

Let us know what you decide on and good luck on your next hunt.

jonbravado View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonbravado Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/21/2006 at 14:04

elite 4200 is excellent - wonderful optics for the money.

i sound like a broken record on these posts..........i need to try more gear

or maybe i just bought the right stuff to start with - hehehe.

good luck.

J

Tip69 View Drop Down
Tip Stick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tip69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/21/2006 at 14:07
Opps my Bad....... that would be for 3-9X40...... forgot you mentioned at least a 10x.
take em!
silver View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/21/2006 at 17:43

My first thought was given the little differance between 9x and 10x that the 3-9 Zeiss might still be an option.

"If we weren't all crazy we, We would go insane."   Jimmie Buffet

WWW.formitch.com

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic