OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Novice Mounting/bore sight

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bdherh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Novice Mounting/bore sight
    Posted: November/20/2006 at 13:06

I bought a Remington Sendero SPII with Leupold VXIII.  I tried my hand at mounting myself.  No big deal.  I have a lazer bore sight.

I went out yesterday and bore sighted it.  I went to shoot, and at 50yrds on the paper at 100 yrds not.  I messed with the thing

all afternoon and by the time I was finished I was not even on the paper at 50yrds.  I put it on back on the bore sites and

was not even close.  A couple of questions.  How tight should the screws be on the rings?  Should they be all the way closed?

Second question.  Do I use the windage screws for the bore sighting then use the dials to sight in?

Thanks

cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/20/2006 at 15:22

Welcome to The OT!!

What type of rings/mounts do you have?

Here's how I bore sight. After I mount the scope correctly. 

Pull the bolt out. (Make sure rifle is clear/unloaded.)

Set the rifle and scope up on something steady like a bipod, rest, pillows, whatever.

Look through the bore of the rifle at a small, but visible "target" at around 25 yards away.

(I have used my wifes hub cap to her Honda MANY times.)

Simply look through the bore and center the "target" in the rifle bore.

Holding the rifle steady, now look through your scope and see where the center of the reticle is in conjunction to your target in your bore.

YOUR BORE WILL BE TRUE, so you'll have to adjust your scope to match it.

See what I mean?? 

This is a crude and down and dirty way to sight in a scope, but I have done it with countless scopes with this.......proceedure.

This should get you on paper @ 25 yards.

Last time I did this, I was bulls eye @ 25 yards in 2 shots, 2 more shots I was bulls eye @ 100 yards. 

If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
Dolphin View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dolphin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/20/2006 at 21:40
I agree with the above procedure.  But, make sure you are at bullseye at 25 yards before going to 100 yard.  Remember, 1 inch off a 25 yard is 4 inches off at 100 yards, so just being on paper at 25 yards, is not just good enough.  Also, if you are using a bore mounted laser sighter, there is sighnificant room for play and I would recommend the Aimpoint chamber sighters.  Yes, they are more expensive, but worth it in the end, when you can essentially bore sight to 100 yards with a great deal of accuracy and not waste a box and a half of shells trying to get your rifle sighted in properly.  The other benefit, is that I have seen in one instance, a shooter forget to remove the barrel boresighter and destroy the barrel and was lucky enough not to have a blow back and hurt himself badly, let alone kill himself with a bolt through the skull.
never e nuff View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote never e nuff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/21/2006 at 11:06
The method Cheaptrick refers to is commenly called the poor mans bore sight. I use it all the time, when possible. Bdherh If I were you I would completly remove every thing and start over. The manufactures of mounting devices recommend degreasing the holes in your reciever with somthing like gun scrubber and using a thread locker on your mounts and rings. Please use low bonding strength i.e. blue locktight if you ever want to get it back off. when your scope is mounted, most of us do not have a torque wrench that measures in inch pounds so snug any all fastners down tightly but not to the point of snaping or stripping screws. No the rings should not have to be touching themselves, but an even spacing should be visable on each side. I am guessing that you are using leupold type mounts as you refer to using the windage screws for initial adjustments. Bad idea ! If these are the mounts you are using the front ring needs to be turned within the mount as to line up perfectly with the rear. adjusting the rear ring without realigning the front puts a lot of internal stress on the scope itself. For the do it yourselfer, which I am one, I highly recommend Burris Signature rings they have a polymer spherical bushing that goes between the ring and the scope. It also eliminates any ring marks from mounting. If you are using a Weaver type base they are called Burris Signature ZEE rings. When you are a done mounting place some tape on the scope to use as a witness mark to see if the scope slides under recoil. I hope this helps.   

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/21/2006 at 16:07

Right.

Sounds like the scope mounting job was FUBAR'd off the get go.

Start over, my friend.

That's why I said "After the scope is properly mounted."

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/21/2006 at 16:40

Finding your scopes mechanical center can be a plus too.

I would like to know what rings the original poster is using. 

Dolphin View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dolphin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/22/2006 at 22:20
Boresighting is one of my favorite, but sometime most frustrating things to do.  Personally, I mount all of my scopes.  After watching some of the gunsmiths, I wondered why I payed the 25 dollars.  This was years ago, despite the fact, I always did it as a kid, because I did not have the money.  Most of the high quality rifles, like your Rem. have close tolerances and so do the good quality mounts.  Most of the barrels are reasonable centered, in new rifles.  I do not use locktite on any of my rifles, including my magnums and have never had a failure.  I tighten the hex nuts quite firmly without the use of a torque wrench (I have never seen a gunsmith use one).  Considering you have not over torqued, bent the scope or torqued on the objective curves, you should be in good shape.  You need to make sure the main objective is not touching the barrel or you could bend the scope and damage the erector tube, but most good quality scopes are very foregiving, unless you bend the heck out of them.  Now, go back to the basics, of using the old fashioned method of boresighting at 25 yards and make sure you are on bullseye before moving out.  In your case, go to 50 yards next and make sure you are at bullseye before heading out to 100 yards.  You should be fine.  I personally do not like mounts with adjustable windage.  I find the come loose at times and you loose zero, plus, excessive adjusmet puts torque on the scope.  Unless it is an older rifle, with poor tolerances and you need the extra adjument, it just complicates your life.  Try, one piece Talley light weight mounts or Warne non-detachable mounts, which are both strong, built to strict tolerances and easy to mount, the later, being somewhat more difficult, but well worth the little extra money.  One more thing.  Bag the bore mounted laser boresighter.  Too much play and can lead you astray.  If you want to use a laser, try the Aimpoint, which fits into the chamber an the laser points down the barrel, with little room for error.  More expensive, but the money use save in sighting rifles, will pay for the device in the end.  Try these things and let me know if it doesn't work, I will have more advice.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/23/2006 at 08:59

Originally posted by Dolphin Dolphin wrote:

I agree with the above procedure.  But, make sure you are at bullseye at 25 yards before going to 100 yard.  Remember, 1 inch off a 25 yard is 4 inches off at 100 yards, so just being on paper at 25 yards, is not just good enough. 

Thanks for the catch.

I changed my original post to "25 yards" instead of "around 20 yards".

My bad....

Boneyfreak View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boneyfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/03/2007 at 18:40
Yeah,  first thing you always do is center the scope clicks or mirror set it. If I had a dollar for every buddy that missed that....
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic