OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Everything Else > Almost Anything Goes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Bedding a Rifle

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Yotecaller1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Bedding a Rifle
    Posted: November/20/2006 at 10:47
Has anyone ever bedded their rifle?  Particularly using Marinetex grey.  I am planning on trying it out on one of my rimfire rifles, just for giggles.  If anyone has done this, please explain what you did, and the materials you used other than the bedding of course.  Appreciate it.
lucznik View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucznik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/20/2006 at 12:19

I recently used Brownell's Acraglas (I think that's what it's called) to bed my Ruger 7mm-08 Compact Rifle. It was quite easy to do.  A Dremel tool, a vice, a couple of screwdriversl, a razor blade, the kit, and one afternoon was all that was needed. 

The only advise I would give on attempting a similar project is to READ the instructions and then follow them.

What if the hokey pokey really is what it's all about?
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/20/2006 at 15:00
Originally posted by lucznik lucznik wrote:

The only advise I would give on attempting a similar project is to READ the instructions and then follow them.

Quality advise right there.

It's very easy, but reading the directions is a MUST!!!

If you can read, you can bed a rifle.

If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/20/2006 at 15:29
If you never bedded a rifle before, I would not suggest starting with Marine-Tex. It is used on bedding rifles with synthetic stocks and has a much shorter working time than the various epoxies that can be used on wood or synthetics. Once Marine-Tex cures it is like cement making it difficult/impossible to alter any cosmetic areas you might have missed when taping off the outside stock areas.
Yotecaller1 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Yotecaller1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/05/2006 at 12:01
Wow, I haven't been on here for a long time.  Been busy.  I have a synthetic stock, so it should be fine right?  What I was really looking for in my post is where to start putting the epoxy down.  Ahead of the recoil lug, in the recoil lug, and such?  Also, in your guy's experience to you kind of scar up the area where the epoxy is applied to let it get a better hold?  If so, what do you usually do?  I know that marine-tex is typically used for repairing fiberglass boats, and hulls.  So it has to be some tough shiite.  BTW thanks for the replys.
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/05/2006 at 12:36

Go to Brownells website and get the bedding compound they sell.

The directions are good and you'll be fine. 

If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
Mike McDonald View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike McDonald Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/05/2006 at 15:04
YoteCaller,

This is a start.  If you want more let me know.

Bedding a Rifle

I do it in this manner.  There are many other ways to go about this.

Bedding material is to go under the action, forming a void free mating surface between the action and the stock, filling in any voids caused by machining and inletting imperfections during manufacture of the two, different, assemblies.

Where bedding goes

Behind the recoil lug

Under the front receiver ring

Under the chamber area of the barrel for about 1-2 inches

Under the tang of the rear receiver (Remington rifles)

Bedding material can also be used along the sides of the action to create a seal between the action and the stock preventing dirt/dust/critters from accumulating under the important stuff.

Where bedding DOES NOT go

Inside the action

Inside the trigger

Inside toe bolt raceway

Getting Started

Decide what material you’re going to use.  If it’s your first time, AcraGlas Gel is very forgiving.  MarineTex is better but not for the novice, in my opinion.

You’ll need

Bedding Material

A bedding release agent.  I use KIWI neutral shoe polish.  Cheap, easy and works 100% of the time.

Electrical Tape

Masking Tape

Several plastic spatulas for spreading the bedding compound

A plastic knife for trimming the over run while it’s still in gel form.

A chisel or Dremel tool for relieving the stock in areas where the bedding compound is to go.

¼ wood dowel rod.

Start the Procedure

Remove the UNLOADED action from the stock

Degrease the action.  Your choice of methods works.  Just clean it.

Remove the trigger group.  Consider it a learning experience.

Remove and store;

The bottom metal

Magazine

Follower

Trigger Group and associated hardware.  ZipLoc bags are your friend.

Apply a layer of tape over the area occupied by the trigger group. This keeps bedding material out of that area and saves clean up time later.

Coat the action with Kiwi shoe polish, everywhere you think bedding material is going to flow.  Bottome, Sides, feed ramp, magazine recess cuts.  Also force some polish into the action screw holes.  You’ll be glad you did this later on.  J

Let the polish dry, buff off, reapply and repeat.  Once the second coat drys/is polished off, nothing is going to stick to the action.

Don’t forget to do this to the barrel ahead of the action.

Small Steps

We need to keep the action level, so we’re going to take this in a couple steps.

First bedding are is the area behind recoil lug, front receiver ring, and area under the barrel.

These areas need to be relieved enough to allow a 3/16th to 1/8th inch layer of bedding compound to be applied.  No work is being done at the rear tang at this time, since we’re using this as a fixed reference point for the action.

After you relieve the areas mentioned, place the action into the stock.  It should  look a little funny, with the barrel resting in the barrel channel.

To level the action we’re going to use masking tape wrapped around the barrel, about ½ way down the barrel channel.  By wrapping the tape around the barrel we’re able to cause the barrel/action to sit in a level condition in the stock, with a solid reference point at the rear of the action.

Yotecaller1 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Yotecaller1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/05/2006 at 17:23

Thank you Mike, that is exactly what I was looking for.    Appreciate all the help guys, I should have made my question a little more specific.  Bravo!

Thank you.

Yotecaller1

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic