OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Tactical Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Tactical Scopes - Parallax/Focus Distance

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nurek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tactical Scopes - Parallax/Focus Distance
    Posted: November/17/2006 at 05:15

Hi All,

I am looking for a quality scope (Zeiss, Swarovski,Kahles etc.) that will parallax/focus/AO down to 10m/15yds. (I do not want to re-parallax).

I know that these are few and far between, but the old Weaver Tacticals had AO adjustable to 15yds, the Bushnell Elite 4200 6-24x40 does as well, and so des the Super Sniper, are there any others? I also know that Zeiss Conquest and Kahles parallax to 30 yds. Are there any others focusing down to 30yds? Most seem to be either 50yds or 100yds.

I am especially interested in nice glass (preferably European) and an interesting reticle like the MP8 or Gen2 Mil Dot, maybe in the FFP?

Can anyone recommend anything like that? Knowing my luck it probably doesn’t even exist…

Before you ask why, this will go on a High Power Air Rifle, which has plenty of recoil but my range is from 15yds to 100yds and I need a tactical reticle for holdover/under.

Thank you,

Piotr.

Trinidad View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trinidad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/17/2006 at 12:50

Hello Nurek

The 5-25x56 PMII will be a exellent choice for your application. This scope is the top choice in air rifle competition all around the globe.

http://www.schmidtbender.com/scopes_policemarksman.shtml

ChrisGarrett View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ChrisGarrett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/17/2006 at 18:02

Hello,

I wouldn't get too hung up on the 'numbers' as all parallex adjustments are only 'estimates' in my experience.  Going to the range and having the target 100yds away, then adjusting the AOs or Side Focus knobs and reading what the numrical scale reads.

Personally, I've never tried to focus to 45', but I do own a Zeiss Conquest 4.5-14x50, with side focus and Bausch & Lomb Elite 4200/4000s in 4-16x50 AO and 6-24x40, respectively.  I also picked up the SB PM II in 5-25x56, so maybe this weekend I can break them out and see what I can see.

Again, the scales are just approximations, IMO, and whether you get proper focus at 15 yds, or not, is more a function of a particular scope and not some numbers printed/stamped on a knob or a ring.

Take care, Chris

nurek View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nurek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/18/2006 at 11:57

Thank you for your comments, yes the S&B probably fits the bill, however one thing I did forget to mention is the objective size, I would like to stay around 40mm or below for increased depth of field, however I have always been keen on the S&B PM so I might investigate it.

There is also a higher mag version coming out soon in 12.5-50x56 specifically designed for airgun shooting discipline named Field Target (FT), few pics and details (unfortunately in Polish) can be found here http://bron.iweb.pl/viewtopic.php?t=14628&postdays=0& ;postorder=asc&highlight=bender&start=105

Thanks,

Piotr

Trinidad View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trinidad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/18/2006 at 16:48

Cool link Nurek, good luck on your scope purchase let us know what you decide on

and post some pics if you get a chance.

www.technika.nu View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote www.technika.nu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/19/2006 at 00:41

I cant understand why the 40mm objective should give deeper depth of field.

I don't belive that is true, at least not to a point where you can see the differance.

I am amongst others using a pair of Zeiss ZF6-24x72 and the depth of field problem there is is when the scope is set at high magnification.

At low magnification there is no such problem.

At the positive side can be said about short depth of field is that the scope work pretty good for range estimation at high magnification that way.

Regards Technika

Trinidad View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trinidad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/19/2006 at 03:48

The Zeiss 6-24x72 scope that Technika is using is one of the most highly praised scopes recently.

My buddy in Las Vegas just got his hands on this baby, and he is in love, he has owned and used

most of the top optics in the world.

http://www.zeiss.com/c1256bcf0020be5f/Contents-Frame/016f810 a1b69e48a852571d70037e677

http://www.swfa.com/pc-5814-310-zeiss-6-24x72-diavari-vmv-34 mm-rifle-scope.aspx

ChrisGarrett View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ChrisGarrett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/19/2006 at 04:46

Hello,

The Achilles' heel with all Zeiss scopes is their inherent lack of UP, ~4.8' at 100 yds is about 60 MOA being generous.  Personally speaking, they lack the MOA UP that the big boys, USO, SB, IOR and Nightforce have for really, really long range shooting, notwithstanding their superior glass.  Their 6-24x56 Diavrari, for example has only 57.6 MOA UP, far below the others.  Of course, a 20 MOA base will help tremendously.

Chris

Trinidad View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trinidad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/19/2006 at 13:06

Yes, I noticed the elevation and agree. I will be going to Vegas shortly and I am going to spend a little bit of time with this scope.I am very curious after what I heard about the optical performance, I want to check out the whole package for myself. IOR and Nightforce are great scopes but I would not consider them as a option over the  S&B,Zeiss,USO, IMO they do not have the optical performance to compete against these scopes. At the price range of the IOR 35MM and the Nightforce I would say it is best to pay the little extra and go with the top performers.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic