OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

New Gun

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trykon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New Gun
    Posted: November/15/2006 at 08:53
Purchased a new gun today and i hope it will be a good one.  I've been wanting an Ultra Mag for some time now and finally broke down and bought one.  Purchased a 7mm Ultra Mag Remington Sendero SF.  I'm shooting factory ammo right now but plan to hand load some Hornady 139gr Interbonds next week.  A friend of mine has the same gun shooting 139gr Interbonds shooting 3800 ftps!!!  I'll post some pics tomorrow hopefully.
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/15/2006 at 17:07

Is it the Sendero II or an older model??

My Sendero SF .300 RUM shot very well for me. Great rifle.

They claim those Ultra Mags's are barrel  burners.

If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
Dolphin View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dolphin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/15/2006 at 17:26
Fortunately for you guys, there are alot of myths that float around, at least about the Weatherbys, specifically the 30-378, being barrel burners, lasting only 1000 rounds and I will bet this is true for these Remington rounds.  I have read many posts on other sites, spoken to many gunsmiths who specialize in these heavy hitters and talked directly to the gunsmiths at Weatherby and this just is not true.  It usually comes from either people who are ill informed, jealous they do not have such a rifle or did have one and shot the barrel out by shooting a hundred rounds at a time without letting it cool whatsoever.  There are plenty of people who have gotten 5000 rounds out of a 30-378 with continued excellent accuracy and again, I will bet the same for the 300 RUM.  The metalurgy these days is much improved, as compared to even 10 years ago and Weatherby as well as Remington produce great rifles.  I own both and have put many rounds through many rifles, to include my Remington 742 BDL Deluxe 30-06, that I received from Santa Claus, when I was 12 years old and is now in its 36th year and shoots like a dream.  And one more thing, I really do not intend, putting that many rounds through my 30-378, as it is a pure hunting rifle.  But, maybe, some guys, like to shoot canons at the range, just for fun.  Great gun and great caliber, have fun and good hunting.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/15/2006 at 17:32

Right.

I'm not saying they do burn throats up, Dolphin. I'm saying it's been said. 

I don't remember the round count in my .300 RUM, but I would say around 700-800 or so.

No problems.

Just went broke buying RL 25 powder.....

Trykon View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trykon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/15/2006 at 17:46
Right Sendero SF II.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/15/2006 at 17:50

Hand loading is almost madatory for those UM's.

Not much factory stuff out there, I wouldn't think. 

Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/15/2006 at 18:11
Dolphin, I'm curious as to why someone would be "jealous" regarding ownership of Weatherby/Ultramags. I didn't know there was some prestige, hard to get or ranking order claimed to admission. How long have I been sleeping, what year is it???
Dolphin View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dolphin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/15/2006 at 19:14
Well, first of all, I am not saying that you cannot afford a Weatherby.  But, there are alot of people out there, who cannot and therefore alot of criticism is thrown there way.  So, if I offended anybody, that was not my intention.  Now, on the other hand, they are not inexpensive rifles and in my opinion, having owned just about every hunting rifle around, they are the best built non-custom or custom rifle there is to be had on the planet.  Buy all the HS precision or other so called precision rifles you want and you just are not going to beat them.  That is what Roy Weatherby wanted.  He was a pioneer, and inventor and just an all around good guy, who loved hunting and believed there was an alternative to the slow, heavy projectiles that were standard at that time.  Yes, there are plenty of people who are jealous of other people owning a Wby., just like they are jealous of people of owning other expensive semi-custom and custom rifles and they are willing to put their ignorance on the line to show that jealousy.  So lighten us Finn master, no buddy is busting your balls about not owning a Wby., that is if you do not.  I do not think anything less of you.  I own plenty of great branded rifles and I am sure you do to.  I just love Weatherbys.  If you do not own one, buy one in a wooden stock and enjoy the beauty, the mystique and the accuracy, not to speak of the huntability.  There are PHs around the globe, who have used  wooden stocked Wbys., to hunt game for years and when finished the stocks were sorely worn.  Thats what Roy Weatherby would have wanted.  Relax and be self confident.
Trykon View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trykon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/15/2006 at 19:40
I looked a purchasing a friend of mine 30-378 Wby but didn't because of the obvious abuse of the gun.  The barrel was scratched and worn and the stock was too.  I know some people would say who cares, but for me i take extremely good care of my rifles.  I have some rifles that are more than 10 years old and still look brand new, and it's not becuase they haven't been used becuase they're used quite regularly.  I will agree that the 30-378 Wby is a fine gun but i wasn't going to spend the extra 600-700 to purchase a new one.  The 7mm Ultra Mag i purchased shot just as good of a group at the wby at any range we shot.  But, I wouldn't i wont disagree with you Dolphin about wby's being fine guns.  Just wasn't what i was looking for at the time. Plus the ammo is so high for a wby 30-378, but it's extremely powerfull.
Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/15/2006 at 19:55
Actually, I was referring to the chambering rather than the rifle. Unless I misunderstood, I thought the context was about barrel life. I think Weatherby rifles are probably amoung the finest along with Sako's (75 &85)that is, available. I also like Kimber's but some might not regard them as "production" rifles. Of the many flaws yet uncovered, self confidence is alive and well. Just ask the ex-wife.  I think you and I share similar insight. Like the Elite 4200 riflescope. You can spend a heck of alot more and not get a whole lot better. Kinda why I like the Remmy 700 also.
Dolphin View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dolphin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/16/2006 at 06:35
I believe from that perspective, of buying the Elite scopes instead of those ridiculous euro nosebleeders and saving alot of money, it does make sense to buy a Remington or other favorite brand instead of a Wby that will shoot just as well and save the money, say for the Elite.  I love my Remingtons, Rugers, Savages and Parker Hales and most of all my Howas.  Talk about a great shooting rifle for a dirt cheap price.  Howa, makes the Vanguard series for Wby.  And for all intent purposes they shoot as well as the Wby.  So, I agree with you on that, but I still love um.  But, unlike those euro nosebleeder scope owners, they won't tell you anything else, but you have to have that 1000 dollar scope or you are going to miss that trophy buck for sure.
jonbravado View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonbravado Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/16/2006 at 07:06

ok here's my 2 cents on rifles.

i have had remingtons, wby's, and a handful of other makes.

by far the best performance i have run accross was sako - without a doubt.

i JUST purchased a Tikka (made by sako) and it is the smoothest bolt actions around. with a fantastic factory trigger.

you can get those for around 500-600 all day long.  they are guaranteed tackdrivers out of the box.  I honestly haven't been

enamored w/ the wby's i have had in my hands (NOT the highend ones, probably).  The T3 by tikka is one of the best rifles

on the market out of the box and is the 'elite 4200' of the rifle world.  I have felt 100 dollar replacement triggers that aren't this

good.  I would highly recommend these for ANYONE looking at most any caliber. 

happy hunting.

J

Dolphin View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dolphin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/16/2006 at 08:54
Sako, uh.  Would take the Wby Vanguard series all day long at 400 bucks, guaranteed 1and half MOA at hundred yards and if you read most of the reviews, much better, right out of the box.  No more eurotrash for me.  American or Japanese.  I refuse to pay for the exorbitant labor prices of european labor workers, especially when the Japanese have such pride in their workmanship.  Plus, I can use the extra savings to mount a Bushnell Elite scope.
jonbravado View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonbravado Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/16/2006 at 11:57

well, my tikka T3 is 1 moa out of the box guaranteed - or your money back.

and i have shot a three shot group @ 100 you can cover with a nickel w/ my sako 30.06 w/ factory ammo.

tikka uses sako barrels some of the finest production barrels on the planet.

i haven't seen or heard much better than that.  now, Dolphin, i AM speaking from experience here.  I had a

vanguard in a 270, that didn't like any ammunition i fed it.  hard trigger w/ lots of play. night and day from the

T3.

Try a T3 ...... you'll change your tune.

J

Trinidad View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trinidad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/16/2006 at 12:11

Tikka  is a much better rifle than the Vanguard in every way and it will not break the bank.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/16/2006 at 15:29
Originally posted by jonbravado jonbravado wrote:

by far the best performance i have run accross was sako - without a doubt.

Preach on the Sako!!

The Vanguard that I shot was a .300 Weatherby, had the crappiest trigger, and was VERY rough around the edges. All the edges!

I was very underwhelmed, to say the least. 

Tikkas are great shooters and I have not seen any accuracy or quality problems from them.

Dolphin View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dolphin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/16/2006 at 21:51
Here we go again with this euro trash rhetoric.  I have serveral Howas and an older Vanguard.  No creep, crisp triggers and excellent shooters.  All the reviews in the gun magazine rate them very highly.  I have shot and handled a buddies Sako, I believe 85 and would not trade the Vanguard in a minute.  None of mine are rough around the edges, except for maybe the synthetic stock, which, I have never seen one that was perfect.  The bolt is smooth and I have never had any misfires.  This is a case of mystique over common sense.  Sort of like, buying a Zeiss over an Elite.  Plus the basic Vanguard is cheaper.  Most reviews, the MOA at less than 0.5, with the right ammo, so I would do some research on why you cannot get yours to shoot right, like maybe, you are inherently inaccurate.  I know, you are going to say, you can shoot your other rifles to this level of accuracy.  But, maybe the Vanguard, does not fit you well.  I would take my Remingtons, Savages, Rugers, Parker Hales and Interarms, before the eurotrash.  And, who says, Sako, makes some of the best barrels around.  Now, I am not going to say Sakos/Tikkas are bad rifles, they are good rifles.  But, when people starting talking about creep, rough finish etc., its speaks of a lot of bull, when comparing it a Wby Vanguard.  Read the reviews, handle more than a few.  Don't be automatically biased, because you love your Tikka.  If you want to see a rough looking brand new rifle, look at a basic savage varminter and compare it to your Tikka or Vanguard.  But, it shoots well also.  Or look at a Mossberg ATR.  I have been aroung bolt actions since I was 10 years old and have heard it all, starting with the shotgun mysterey of the Browning Auto 5 being superior to the Remington1100.  Different story, but with shotguns.  Tikka has always been a poor mans Sako and up until recently Vanguard was a poor mans Wby.  But, Wby has upscale the Vanguard line from top to bottom, to include customization and SUBMOA guarantees.  In fact, give me a Sig Sauer SHR 970 with interchangeable barrels instead.  I could thing of multiple other guns that the Tikka, but you know.  I might just buy one.
Dolphin View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dolphin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/16/2006 at 22:09
Two more things that I left out.  Novices or the ill informed, frequently mistake creep in a trigger for play.  A certain amount of creep in a trigger is desirable.  For example.  I have a Wby 300 MarkV Deluxe, purchase used and the previous owner had the trigger adjusted to a feather weight touch, with no creep whatsoever.  I really do not like this, as I have no gauge as to slowly pull the trigger, hold on the target and take the proper breaths, before bang the thing shoots.  I have another uses Wby, never shot before, actually handled by the man himself, Roy Weatherby, that was also adjusted.  Not quite as light, but the same scenario.  However, my Wby Accumark 30-378 has just the proper amount of creep, so that if I want to abort the shoot, I have time, but with still a 2.5 pound trigger pull.  Perfectly proper.  Same with my Vanguards.  As far as SVD666's comments, as I have already said, the basic Vanguard, even in SS, can be had for less that the Tikkas, albeit in Synthetic stocks and come in some Wby calibers, that I personally prefer, as well as a host of other non-Wby calibers.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/17/2006 at 03:26

Originally posted by Dolphin Dolphin wrote:

Two more things that I left out.  Novices or the ill informed, frequently mistake creep in a trigger for play. 

Are you referring to me as ill informed and or a novice, Sir??

(If you say "yes", or "if the shoe fits", I'm going to hold my breath and you'll be sorry!!!)

Relax, Dolphin...Maybe the Vanguard I shot was a lemon. (Shrug)

It was rusting and the guy didn't take very good care of it, to be sure.

I'd still take a Sako over a real Weatherby any day of the week.

Weatherbys are overrated and overpriced, in this novices opinion anway......

Dolphin View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dolphin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/17/2006 at 06:43

Now, cheaptrick, by now you know me better than that, I of course was not referring to you.  Your credentials are well substantiated.  And I agree, Sako is a fine rifle, no doubt about it.  The only Sako I handled was the one I mentioned and is a fine rifle, but did not match the quality of my Wbys, but then again, like you said, it was like you having handled the only Vanguard that was rusty.  This gun was in good shape, but maybe me too, was swayed by loyalty to the Wby brand.  I grew up as a kid just staring at those pictures, hoping to own one, now I own a few and they have never let me down.  And I will say one thing.  Kudos to the Wby company.  I have called them many times to ask questions and have alway been treated with respect and had my ears talked off like they had all the time in the world.  When, the tech support people were not readily available, since it is a small company, the lady who answers the phone, will always give me a 1-800 number to call back and eveytime and get who I need.  I have talked to the gunsmiths, tech support people, custom shop gunsmiths and parts people and all treated me with respect and never hurried the conversation and acted as though, I was the only problem there was at the time and as I said, I think I could still be on the phone with most of them.  In addition,  I bought my 30-378 used with only 50 rounds through it and thought I did not get the Accubrake wrench (turns out I really did).  Regardless, I called Wby and they are sending me another one free of charge and even no cost for shipping.  That is service you do not see these days and is another reason, I have been so loyal to Wby.  I have tried contacting other companies and while finally reaching them, I was hurried along and it was as if I was a burden and wasting their time.  I have never tried contacting Sako.  So, in a nutshell, sorry cheaptrick, my comment were not directed to you, you have my utmost 

regard and trust when it comes to recommendations, given your obvious experience and knowlege.  We all have our opinions, but the other poster, seemed to place emotion over logic.  Please accept my apology and consider my post.  Thanks.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic