OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Tactical Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Help required - Scope for .300win mag

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Biggles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Help required - Scope for .300win mag
    Posted: November/14/2006 at 16:01

G'day Guys ,

Need a little help if i may . Looking for a scope that will work for me on a Model 116FLSS Left Hand.

Looking to use it from 2-800 metres (yeah an Aussie sorry about the Yards conversion being missing)

preferably Mil-dot and if possible in the first plane and Objective Lens  50mm (not imperative).

Not sure if there are any scopes that are decent with that spec that will handle the impact but i'd

appreciate any feedback.

I've got betwen $5-800USD to spend and have looked at a couple of scopes like the below

Burris 6-24x50 Xtreme Tactical XTR (balistic Mildot on this is for the .300 at 14times)

Burris 4-12x42 Laser Rifle Scope (not sure with only 1yr warranty)

New Bushnell 4-12x42 Laser Rangefinder

Burris 8-32x50 Black Diamond

Nikon 3.5-10x50

Nikon 2.5-10x44 Tactical

Really would love any advice that you guys may have . Even to the extent that I change to a fixed power but i've seen a number of posts

that still seem to think the magnification is handy.

Cheers

Nigel

noddah View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote noddah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/14/2006 at 16:17

Hi Nigel,

Not sure if your going to hike with the rifle or the type of shooting... Though out of your selection I would vote for the 3.5-10x50 or the 2.5-10x44 Nikon. In general over 10 x with hot weather you start getting into mirage issues. At dawn and dusk the lower power is a benefit and with a 44mm - 50mm bell you can mount fairly close to the barrel. 

The combo laser - rangefinder  - scope is sexy but anything with a battery has a shelf life IMO.

Biggles View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Biggles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/14/2006 at 16:29

Noddah,

thanks for that anything with lasers builtin  and betteries is scary with ony a 1 year warranty also .

Nige

cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/14/2006 at 16:40

Another lefty!!!

Our numbers continue to grow........Soon...very soon....we'll be taking over......

Welcome to the OT!!

If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
ChrisGarrett View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ChrisGarrett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/14/2006 at 18:30

Hello,

The Burris Xtreme might be nice, but it's only 1 MOA clicks for UP and 1/2 for windage, the latter not really being an issue.  1 MOA might be a tad coarse, if you ask me, otherwise, it might be my choice at your price point.  This being said, the Nikon Tactical would probably be a better choice if you're preferring 1/4" UP clicks and good glass.

Good luck and take care, Chris

Biggles View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Biggles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/15/2006 at 16:37

Guys ,

thanks for the help has any one any opinion on the below "new Zeiss 4.5-14x50 Conquest Rifle Scope" it looks like the

same as above 1/4 MOA  . How would it stack against the Burris or Nikon?

Nige

and BTW Cheaptrick we lefties do rock

Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ChrisGarrett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/15/2006 at 16:58

Hello Biggles,

I put a Zeiss Conquest 4.5-14x50 Z-Plex on a Savage 10 FP LE2B .308 two summers ago.  Can't complain at all, very clear glass, sturdy build, target turrets (plastic) and side focus for $575 NIB/Delivered.  I don't own a Nikon or Burris, but those are nice products evidently.   The biggest issue is with the UP travel on the Zeiss, but if you have 20 MOA built into your rail, or you're shooting a long range FLAT cart, like th 300 WinMag, you shouldn't be out of luck.

Later, Chris 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/15/2006 at 17:21
Originally posted by ChrisGarrett ChrisGarrett wrote:

Hello Biggles,

I put a Zeiss Conquest 4.5-14x50 Z-Plex on a Savage 10 FP LE2B .308 two summers ago.  Can't complain at all, very clear glass, sturdy build, target turrets (plastic) and side focus for $575 NIB/Delivered.  I don't own a Nikon or Burris, but those are nice products evidently.   The biggest issue is with the UP travel on the Zeiss, but if you have 20 MOA built into your rail, or you're shooting a long range FLAT cart, like th 300 WinMag, you shouldn't be out of luck.

Later, Chris 

I agree with Chris on all counts.

Conquest is good to go, with some help with the lack of elevation, if you plan on shooting past 500 yards or so.

That sound right, Chris?? 

I don't recall how much "up" that model has.

Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ChrisGarrett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/15/2006 at 22:16

Hi CT,

I have just over 70 MOA worth of clicks, stop to stop, so a mechanical zero of only 35+, with my Leuy Standard bases and rings, I have about 12 MOA left based on some typical 168gr loadings at 100 yds, which isn't a lot, but I'm sure that the Leuy stuff isn't all that great and a 20 MOA base would 'generally' put somebody out to the range the original poster wishes.

Even the Zeiss Diavari 6-24x56 Tac scope is MOA elevation shy, but that's just the nature of the beast.  Pick your poison...loads of UP and so so glass and construction or great glass and sturdiness and maybe a bit less UP?

Chris 

Biggles View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Biggles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/16/2006 at 00:57

If i've got the Mildot reticle it should allow me greater scoper(excuse the  pun) for different ranges though right .

If i sight it in at 2-300 i've got another 4-5hundred yards on the mildot ? Or have i totally gotten lost ??

Biggles View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Biggles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/17/2006 at 00:55

OK Guys Thanks For the help so far down to 2

New Nikon 4-16x50 Tactical 30mm

New Zeiss 6.5-20x50 Conquest Rifle Scope

Any Benefit paying the extra100 for the Nikon?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/17/2006 at 02:49

"Nitac" has better knobs and a 30mm tube.

It's a good scope, but it may be a little over priced.

Both scopes are very good.

What reticle in the Conquest?? I know the Nikon has a mil dot.

Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ChrisGarrett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/17/2006 at 02:58

Hey Biggles,

Before I picked up the 4.5-14x50 Zeiss Conquest I was set on th 6.5-20x50.  The Nikon Tactical 4-16x50 was right up there.  I remember posting on AR15.com about those and the IOR 4.5-15x50 and got a reply from a guy who owned the IOR and th Nikon.  He had switched over to the Zeiss brand due to the clarity of the glass, even though IOR uses Schot Glasswerks (as does Zeiss) and even uses some of the proprietary Zeiss lens coatings.  Zeiss retooled the IOR factory evidently, as well.  His concern was warranty work at the time and as he put it, it's still a Romanian scope when you get down to brass nuts and tacks.

He liked the Nikon tac a lot, but mentioned that it was prone to blackout if your eye wasn't dead on, moreso than the others.  I notice this with a Leupold 3.5-10x40 Standard Police that I have.  He kind of raved about the Zeiss and so I had taken those comments and made my decision. 

When I found a dealer that had a great price on both, he cautioned that the bigger mag can come at a price, as far as distortions on the higher mag settings go, so I ended up staying with the 4.5-14x50.  In retrospect, I'm a proponent of 'more magnification is better...quality being equal and I sometimes wish I had gone with the 6.5-20.  I don't shoot long range, but I'd rather have it and not need it than to want it and not have it.

At longer ranges, I'd want that extra 6x for sure and the clarity in the Zeiss glass makes for sharper images even at distance, whereas a cheaper scope might bring a bit more distortion to the table.

This being said, the Nikon seems to be a pretty pimpy scope and I wouldn't mind having one.  I ended up scoping a Rem Sendero 7mm Rem Mag with a Bausch & Lomb 4-16x50 AO and that platform seems to be working out well at about half the price of the Nikon.

Just sharing some thoughts and to be upfront, I'm only a hack.

Biggles View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Biggles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/17/2006 at 18:05

CT ,

MilDot in the conquest also (Its on the riflescopes site witmildot 5214519943 but not on the Zeiss site with Mildot ?? ).

Chris ,

THanks for all the help think i'll probably end up with the conquest . as all the feedback has been positive . optics etc

so just need to contact tehm to ensure if i buy it online here that i can get warranty cover .

On another post you made . The benefir of the 1st v's second plane reticle was what again ?

Cheers

Nige

Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ChrisGarrett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/18/2006 at 17:39

Hi again,

Well, the SFP B&L Elite 4000 6-24x40 w/fine plex is more a varmint type scope.  The crosshairs remain the same size as you power up, which is nice at distance when viewing smaller targets like chucks and dogs.  On FFP scopes, the crosshairs get bigger relative to the image as one powers up, however the stadia markings do remain constant at any magnification, so its more precise in rangefinding.  On a man sized target, I guess the bolder crosshairs aren't an issue.

Chris

koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/18/2006 at 20:08
Originally posted by ChrisGarrett ChrisGarrett wrote:

Hey Biggles,

Before I picked up the 4.5-14x50 Zeiss Conquest I was set on th 6.5-20x50.  The Nikon Tactical 4-16x50 was right up there.  I remember posting on AR15.com about those and the IOR 4.5-15x50 and got a reply from a guy who owned the IOR and th Nikon.  He had switched over to the Zeiss brand due to the clarity of the glass, even though IOR uses Schot Glasswerks (as does Zeiss) and even uses some of the proprietary Zeiss lens coatings.  Zeiss retooled the IOR factory evidently, as well.  His concern was warranty work at the time and as he put it, it's still a Romanian scope when you get down to brass nuts and tacks.

He liked the Nikon tac a lot, but mentioned that it was prone to blackout if your eye wasn't dead on, moreso than the others.  I notice this with a Leupold 3.5-10x40 Standard Police that I have.  He kind of raved about the Zeiss and so I had taken those comments and made my decision. 

When I found a dealer that had a great price on both, he cautioned that the bigger mag can come at a price, as far as distortions on the higher mag settings go, so I ended up staying with the 4.5-14x50.  In retrospect, I'm a proponent of 'more magnification is better...quality being equal and I sometimes wish I had gone with the 6.5-20.  I don't shoot long range, but I'd rather have it and not need it than to want it and not have it.

At longer ranges, I'd want that extra 6x for sure and the clarity in the Zeiss glass makes for sharper images even at distance, whereas a cheaper scope might bring a bit more distortion to the table.

This being said, the Nikon seems to be a pretty pimpy scope and I wouldn't mind having one.  I ended up scoping a Rem Sendero 7mm Rem Mag with a Bausch & Lomb 4-16x50 AO and that platform seems to be working out well at about half the price of the Nikon.

Just sharing some thoughts and to be upfront, I'm only a hack.

All in all, all scopes above are good, although I think IOR with current (MC7) coatings is slightly better than Conquest.  Both have glass a little better than the Nikon.

Now, I am not sure where the gentleman got the information on IOR, but it is not strictly speaking correct (I have seen it floating around the web).

Zeiss (as in Zeiss that makes Conquest, VM/V, etc.) has never retooled IOR's factory and really has very little to do with IOR except for supplying Schott glass.  IOR had/has a pretty good relationship with East German Zeiss-Jena (now known as Docter Optics) before the fall of the iron curtain, so I expect there was some information sharing there.

IOR never used Zeiss coatings.  Noone except Zeiss has ever used Zeiss coatings.  The confusion, the best I can tell, comes from the fact that the coatings IOR used for years were called "T3" while Zeiss calls theirs "T*".  I've seen some unscrupulous optics dealers claim that IOR has Zeiss coatings in the past.  That's simply no true, the best I can tell.  Current IOR optics have new coatings developed by IOR and called MC-7 which are a fair bit better than older T3.

As for IOR warranty work, it has been a problem in the past, but it looks like Val is finally getting his act together.  I had a very pleasant customer service experience with him about a month ago.  I am also very comfortable with their build quality.  IOR seems to be adapting to capitalist economy very well.

ILya
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ChrisGarrett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/19/2006 at 00:46

Hi Koshkin,

I can't say who I got the info from about Zeiss helping to retool, or modernize the IOR operations, but it was probably somebody...an IOR dealer who mentioned it.  I've never delved deeply into the matter, but as the story goes, If Zeiss did provide Schott glass, it might also stand to reason that they've, in the past, supplied coatings for those lenses as well,  Again, I haven't researched it in any depth.

Personally, I don't rank the Conquest line up with the big boys, but they are decent enough scopes for the money charged.  German parts assembled in the USA.

If I were to buy another scope, IORs would be right up there, but I've been in contact with more than a few IOR owners over the past 2 years who have also used SB, USOs, Zeiss Diavaris and even Nightforce and some of those scopes get the nod in their opinions, FWIW.  For the money though, IOR should be up at the top of many people's lists.

Take care, Chris

Biggles View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Biggles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/20/2006 at 02:43

Hey Chris , CT,

If it was your $800 what would you buy right now

Nige

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/20/2006 at 03:00

I'd probably go Conquest in 4.5-14, as Chris suggested.

Mil Dot for hold overs, and a 20 MOA rail.

Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ChrisGarrett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/20/2006 at 03:16

Hi,

15 months after buying my Zeiss, I'm still happy with it.  I even considered the 6-24x56 Diavari for the 338 LM and would have purchased one had it had more UP than the 78, which you have to figure gets divied up into two and then Murphy's Law kicks and and you're left with less than half.

Anyhow, the 6.5-20x50 target turret MilDot won't disappoint you and if you don't like it, you can always place it on Ebay and get almost all of your money back.  I followed them for about 5 months and they hold their resale value fairly well.

Get the 20 MOA rail and you're good to 1200m.

Keep us posted and post some pics of your stick when you get it all dialed in.

Chris

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic