OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

IOR 4X32

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AftonJohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: IOR 4X32
    Posted: November/13/2006 at 09:49

Based on Koshkin's advice I placed an order last month for an IOR 4X32 scope to mount on my .338 A-Bolt.

The scope arrived today (it was back ordered) and I couldn't be happier. My initial impression is that it's as clear as any Leupold I've owned (with the exception of a LPS) at a much better price.

Thanks for the great advice, I'm already eyeing up a pair of IOR 10X40 binoculars!

koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/13/2006 at 11:55
Glad to be of service.

For binos the competition is pretty tough.  Make sure you are OK with individual eye focusing of the IOR.

ILya
AftonJohnny View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AftonJohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/14/2006 at 09:44

Thanks Koshkin,

any advice for binos in the under $800 range?

koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/14/2006 at 10:11
What are you looking for in a bino?

ILya
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AftonJohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/15/2006 at 07:31
 I hunt mostly in the northeast in close cover/low light conditions and have been considering 8X30 or 10X40
anweis View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anweis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/15/2006 at 12:44

Originally posted by AftonJohnny AftonJohnny wrote:

I hunt mostly in the northeast in close cover/low light conditions and have been considering 8X30 or 10X40

Leupold Yosemite 6x30.

koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/15/2006 at 13:14
Originally posted by AftonJohnny AftonJohnny wrote:

Neither one of these is a particularly good low light binocular due to a smallish exit pupil.

Also, unless you are out in the open plains, you really do not need 10x magnification.

Something 6x or 7x would probably be best.  If you like IOR, consider their 7x40 model.

If you want something a bit lighter, Minox 8x44 porros binoculars are very good, as are Minox BD 7x42 BR roofs.

I do not have any significant experience with the Yosemite 6x30, but WInd River Katmai 6x32 are surprisingly nice little binoculars well suited for the woods.  I do not think they have the glass to compete with Minox or IOR, but at 6x the differences become less significant.

If you want absolutely top notch glass in a 6x porro, take a look at Fujinon FMTR-SX 6x30.  I am not sure if Fujinon still makes them, but they did as recently as a year ago, and I still see them on the web.

ILya
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/15/2006 at 17:28

Originally posted by koshkin koshkin wrote:

What are you looking for in a bino?

ILya

Said the Spider to the fly...............

If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/15/2006 at 18:05
Afton Johnny, curious, where are you hunting when you say Northeast?
jonbravado View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonbravado Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/16/2006 at 07:09

7x50's from fujinon - none better bang for the buck - they are super bright and stable image.

buy the highest model you can afford

good luck. you won't be dissappointed.

J

Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AftonJohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/16/2006 at 12:42

Roy Finn,

I live in Bucks County, PA and hunt in NE Pennsylvania, the lower tier of New York State and NE Maine.

Ilya,

Thanks for the suggestions, the only reason I considered the move to 10X was in hopes of making the trip out west for elk and mulies, but that's at least a year away.

thanks to all for your input, I'll check out the Minox and Fujinon models

Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AftonJohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/17/2006 at 14:49
Won an ebay auction for Fujinon 7X50 nautilus....can't wait until they get here!
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/17/2006 at 16:44
Nautilus binos (AR-SX) are not bad, but no match to the Polaris (FMTR-SX) that I recommended earlier in this thread.

ILya
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic