OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Optics > Binoculars
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Need Help!!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Need Help!!
    Posted: November/09/2006 at 09:10
Looking to buy my first set of binoculars for hunting.  These would be used for stand hunting in the southeast as well as wilderness hunts out west for elk.  I would like to keep prices in the $300 range and under and have them waterproof.  I was considering the following models:  Pentax DCF WPII and the Carson XM, both in 8X40.  Both are phase coated and prices range from $279 - $319.  Are these good choices and if so, is one better than the other?  I have looked everywhere in my state and no one carries either, so it would be bought site unseen and I would be strictly going off of user input / recommendations.  OR would I get better optics and be just as happy with the porro Pentax PCF WPII for $149?  Thanks in advance! 
FrankD View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FrankD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/09/2006 at 11:01

I have heard very positive comments about both the Pentax roof and the Carson roof. There is a price difference there though. I beliee the Pentax goes for between $50 and $100 more than Carson depending on where you are purchasing them from. I could be mistaken though.

I have yet to look through a Carson as nobody locally carries them. However, I have heard some very positive comments on them here.

I have looked through the new WP IIs though and I was relatively impressed by their image quality at this price point. I thought they offered a very crisp, fairly bright image with good edge sharpness. They were not at the level of the SP series or the Minox BD BR but were quite close. Probably the only issue which puts them behind some of the other $300 roof prism glasses is their weight. Since they have an aluminum housing the weight is a few ounces heavier than many of the other $300 roof prisms on the market.

I have no experience with the Pentax PCF WPII's, sorry.

Frank
Acenturian View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Acenturian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/10/2006 at 01:50

Brya:

I have not handled the newer Pentax DCF WP II, but the Carson XM's are very nice glass.  I liked the Carson better then other bino's in the same class at the time I bought mine.  At that time I was looking at the Pentax DCF HRII the Bushnell Legends and the Nikon Monarchs...to me the Carsons were quite a bit better glass.

I'd put the Carson XM series maybe not quite as nice as a Pentax DCF SP (which costs a lot more) but about the same as my Weaver Grand Slam 10.5 x45 which also cost a lot more, and I like the handling of the Carsons better.

I do have two complaints,  the first is that the binoculars were assembled in China, Japanese glass (I've been told) however fit and finish on my older XM model was good just didnt like the fact that is where they were assembled. Second complaint is that I sold them to buy the Weavers. Should have saved my money and stayed with the XM's.

If you do a seach on here I think someone compared the Carsons to the Pentax DCF WP's on this forum check this link

http://www.opticstalk.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=2345&KW=ca rsons

Looking I noticed that now Carson has added a higher grade to the XM line called the HD.  If they improved them then they will be quite impressive since the older ones I had were very very nice for the money.

Good luck and welcome to the forums

AC

If You're In A Fair Fight, You Didn't Plan It Properly

- Anonymous

FrankD View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FrankD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/10/2006 at 06:08

Quote Looking I noticed that now Carson has added a higher grade to the XM line called the HD.  If they improved them then they will be quite impressive since the older ones I had were very very nice for the money.

I noticed that as well and am curious as to the upgraded lineup. Maybe I will just take the plunge and order a pair sight unseen.

Frank
Acenturian View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Acenturian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/10/2006 at 13:10

Frank: I had the older set of XM's and was quite impressed with them..personally if you look at them they look like a re-badged Leupold Olympic...I wonder??????

As far as picking up a pair Im still floating the idea around (although still trying to keep my money saved for either the Leica Trinovids or the Swarovski SLC) but another pair of Carsons for tossing in the truck would be nice. Very clear bright nocs that if they got stolen I wouldnt cry as much as some of the more expensive bino's.

AC

If You're In A Fair Fight, You Didn't Plan It Properly

- Anonymous

FrankD View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FrankD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/15/2006 at 11:54

Frank: I had the older set of XM's and was quite impressed with them..personally if you look at them they look like a re-badged Leupold Olympic...I wonder??????

Yes, it isn't like that doesn't happen quite often.

Though I can personally see the value of having two moderately priced bins I think, in the long run, that saving up for a high Trinovid or SLC will be worth it. I have seen prices for certain Trinovid configurations have come down or gone on sale depending on how you want to look at it. I have also seen some demo SLC models reasonably priced as well. I took a great deal of time comparing the 7x42 versions of both bins back in September and must admit that it really was a toss up in terms of image quality. The image really was identical in just about every way. When I looked really long and hard at the Swaro I was able to ID the very subtlest warm color bias but it truly would have been imperceptible unless the Trinovid was right next to it. Either one will be sure to please you I am sure.

Frank
birdhunter View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote birdhunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/16/2006 at 06:58

Frank, I totally agree with you.  Save time and money and go with the Leica Trivoids or the Swarovski SLC's.  It will be a binocular to last you the next 20-25years.  If you want something for a little less $$ and almost as good go with the Kahles 8x42's.  I started out with a pair and I sold them to a hunting buddy of mine that kept after me wanting to by them.  Wished I would of never parted with them.  Now I am looking at the 7x42 or 8x42 in Leica's or Swarovski's.  Let us know what you do.  Thanks

Birdhunter
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic