OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Optics > Spotting Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Which Spotting Scope to Buy

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 114fs0 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Which Spotting Scope to Buy
    Posted: August/01/2004 at 17:37
I'm looking at upgrading from my current spotting scope.  I currently have a Nikon 16x47x60.  I like this scope, however it doesn't reach out like 80mm objectives do.  I looked through a 20x60xx80mmHD Swarviski and it was awesome, but it is out of my price range ($1,000.00).  I"ve narrowed my choices down to a Pentax PF-80ED w/20x-60x Zoom eyepiece and the Bushnell/Bausch and Lomb Elite 20-60-80 Zoom with Rainguard.  Does anyone have any comments on either of these scopes.  Weight is not a factor and the majority of the spotting will be used for bighorn sheep and deer.  I will continue to pack my Nikon scope to get in close.  Any suggestions on which of these scopes to chose or similiar scopes with quality optics and ED/HD glass.  Thanks in advance.
Chris Farris View Drop Down
TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin
swfa.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Farris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/02/2004 at 10:34

We've got a demo. Pentax PF-80ED on the SampleList page but it is still almost $1000.00.

The Elite 20-60x80 is the best 80 for packing and is very durable with its one piece contruction and inegral eye piece.  But since you still plan to use your Nikon for packing I would highly suggest the Kowa as the best 80mm for the money.

Kowa 20-60 Eye Piece....$269.95

Kowa 82mm Straight Body....$499.95

eezridr View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eezridr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/16/2005 at 17:01
You might want to consider KOWA or Fujinon. In REAL life in the field you are typically in contorted positions looking through a spotting
scope. Almost all major brands, Euros included have little eye relief. You will get a crick in your neck looking through them on a uneven
hill top. Kowa and Fujinon offer 25X eye pieces with 30 mm of eye relief compared with about 12mm with the competition. Both these
companies offer up to 80 mm objectives and flourite coated objectives. The Fuji is the lightest of all 80mm. They are both nitrogen
filled.
They are less expensive than euros.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic