OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Optics > Binoculars
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Nikon 10x56 ATB’s

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CWPINST Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Nikon 10x56 ATB’s
    Posted: November/07/2006 at 20:55
I have a pair of Nikon Action EX 10x50's that actually do a pretty decent job even though I hate the easy movement of the twist-up cups. However I am thinking of upgrading a bit.  My need is to be able to distinguish antlers at 100-300 yards for up to 1 hour after sunset (wooded and field conditions).  The new ATB 10x56 caught my eye.  Does anyone have any field experience with these or maybe the 8.5x56's under very low light conditions? Weight is not really a significant factor, but light transmission and resolution is.

Thanks
If it ain't accurate at long distance, the fact that it is flat shooting is irrelevant.
lucznik View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucznik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/07/2006 at 23:31

I don't know about where you hunt but, where I am, there is almost no light an hour after sunset. Yes, the stars and moon can provide sufficient light to see what's right in front of you but, seeing deer (let alone distinguishing antlers) at 100-300 yards at this time would be a hopeless endeavor, irrespective of what binocular is being used.  To have any chance at all at this, you would need to be using night vision technology (probably good, 3rd generation stuff.)

What if the hokey pokey really is what it's all about?
CWPINST View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CWPINST Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/08/2006 at 09:31
The latest that I have taken one is 57 min after sunset on a full moon.  It was only a 90 yard shot though.  Usually it is about over at around 50 min after sunset.  We are legally allowed up to 1 hr. after sunset.  If you are hunting bean fields on a clear evening with some moon, 40-45 min after sunset is a routinely doable thing (usually limited to less than 200 yards though).  Often times the deer don't enter fields until about 30 min. after sunset. This is where premium optics show their stuff. Regardless of all this I would appreciate some thoughts on the 10x56 ATB's.

Thanks
If it ain't accurate at long distance, the fact that it is flat shooting is irrelevant.
FrankD View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FrankD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/08/2006 at 09:58

Quote Regardless of all this I would appreciate some thoughts on the 10x56 ATB's.

I have looked at both the 10x and 8.5x ATBs. Are they brighter than the 42 mm models? Yes. Are they brighter than a premium 42 mm model? No, not in my opinion. If you are looking for absolute brightness without spending alot of money then your previously mentioned 10x50 Action EX, or any 50 mm porro prism would be hard to beat. Porros typically give higher light transmission numbers compared to roof prism glasses at any given price point with some exceptions at the very high end of the spectrum.

Having said that, and if you are stuck on a roof in the under $500 price range then I would suggest the 10x50 Leupold Wind River Olympic. It was noticeably brighter than the 10x42 Monarch when I compared the two last year plus it was lighter and more ergonomically friendly than either of the 56 mm Monarch models. Those 56 mm models really are honkin' monsters in terms of size and weight. If you are in a stationary position where you can leave them instead of toting them back and forth then I might recommend them but I really think the 10x50 Olympics offer a much better all around package.

Frank
lucznik View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucznik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/08/2006 at 10:19

Originally posted by CWPINST CWPINST wrote:

The latest that I have taken one is 57 min after sunset on a full moon.  It was only a 90 yard shot though.  Usually it is about over at around 50 min after sunset.  We are legally allowed up to 1 hr. after sunset.  If you are hunting bean fields on a clear evening with some moon, 40-45 min after sunset is a routinely doable thing (usually limited to less than 200 yards though).  Often times the deer don't enter fields until about 30 min. after sunset. This is where premium optics show their stuff. Regardless of all this I would appreciate some thoughts on the 10x56 ATB's.

Thanks

That's cool.  Where I hunt at sunset it is pretty dark and a half hour later it's basically pitch black. 

Anyhow, I can't help you directly with the 56mm Monarchs as I've never actually seen one, except in advertisements.  I will echo FrankD's statement however that if light transmission is the primary concern, you are better off spending your money on a high quality porro prism.  I would however,  suggest that you not think of this as an opportunity to also save money.  Whatever you have set as your budget for a roof-prism glass, spend the same on the porro glass and get a truly high-end model.  Both Nikon and Minox (and possibly a few others) make some truly fantastic porro prism binoculars that cost about the same as the 56mm Monarch.

What if the hokey pokey really is what it's all about?
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic