OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

HUNTIN SCOPE???

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JARHEAD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: HUNTIN SCOPE???
    Posted: November/07/2006 at 10:09
HI, I'm lookin for a huntin scope, & would like to know your take on a clear, bright scope for deer huntin....3x9x40,ect....some thing that wont break the bank....thanks,alot,.......SEMPER-FI.........
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/07/2006 at 12:06

Define "break the bank".

Everybodies bank is differant. 

If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
Dolphin View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dolphin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/07/2006 at 14:38
Need alot more info, i.e., rifle, caliber, budget, shooting distances and any other preference you may have in a scope (reticle type, AO, target turrets, side focus, etc).
Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/07/2006 at 14:48
The short answer is the Elite 4200 3-9x40.
Trinidad View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trinidad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/07/2006 at 14:52

Originally posted by Roy Finn Roy Finn wrote:

The short answer is the Elite 4200 3-9x40.

+1, this scope is a great buy for the money.

Dolphin View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dolphin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/07/2006 at 15:35
You know mr. Finn, you and I have alot more in common than you would think.  You probably have not read my other posts regarding this matter, on another thread, but, the short answer always is either the Bushnell Elite or Sightron SII.  Check the WBY 300, thread.  The Sightron company has there own manufacturing plant.  I posted their reply email.  Oh, the other thread about having something in common with you, is on the made in Philliopines.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/07/2006 at 15:39

Dolphin, glad to have you on board here!!

Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/07/2006 at 15:45
Anybody that likes the Elites as much as I do is a friend of mine. Dolphin, you obviously know quality when you see it. Some folks, not here anyway, wouldn't know quality if it bludgeoned them over the head. BTW, I've been known to spend a few bucks in the hifi arena as well. That was a very good analogy to the world of optics.
Dolphin View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dolphin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/07/2006 at 16:06
I will tell you, those damn things, the Elite 4200s cannot be beat.  It and the Sightrons are the only two scope brands that showed me that there was a significant step up in optical quality of the cheapees, that had served me well, but were also affordable, without having to re-mortgage my house, just to buy one or two.  One question?  Why is the sample list full of the euro nose bleeder scopes.  No Bushnells and only one Sightron.  Makes you think.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/07/2006 at 16:27

Is a "nose bleeder" a scope with bad eye relief, Dolphin?? 

Trinidad View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trinidad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/07/2006 at 16:56

Hello Dolphin

I like euro scopes and feel that they are a great investment.

My favorite are S&B's, the sample list currently has 2,

a old gloss variable with a worn tube and a fixed 4 with ring

marks. My guess for these two scopes is that a upgrade was

desired. Happy shooting.

Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/07/2006 at 16:59
Think he is referring to the steep cost of admission. I will tell you that their is a equally large group, probably much larger in fact, that believe that every scope without the "gold ring" is a lame impostor. Koshkin knows well of some of these folks. It is almost cult like. I bought my first B&L 4000 when they first came out and put it on a 700 African Plains Rifle in 300 WM. It hasn't moved off zero even with hard knocks and airline travel (that's more of a endurance test to me than recoil) despite their best efforts. I was a loyal Leupold fan myself until I decided to give one of these babies a try. I could not believe what a noticeable difference there was between the B&L (2.5-10x40) and the Vari-Xlll it replaced. It's funny when people speak of Bushnell Elites like they were still a wet dream akin to a Banner series without even looking through one let alone giving one a second thought. I don't even waste my time anymore arguing with terminally inflicted Leupyotosis patients. That is one of the reasons why I enjoy participating here. The folks here seem very open minded and call them like they see them.
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/07/2006 at 17:47
Gentlemen, the originator of this thread still has not ndicated what his price range is (unless I missed it somewhere).

The best bang for the buck in a hunting scope is Sightron S2 3-9x42, IMO, with Elite 4200 3-9x40 getting a very honorable mention.

ILya
Dolphin View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dolphin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/07/2006 at 17:58
The sample list I went to had hundreds of the euro nosebleeders on it.  What I mean by nose bleeders, has nothing to do with the eye relief, but the price.  When I can buy a Bushnell Elite 4200 or a Sightron SII for 500 dollars less, when I cannot tell the difference and lets say even if my eyes could, its just not worth it as the former scopes with respecto the law of diminishing returns come so close to the platform of the curve its ridiculous.  Now, on the other hand, if it makes you happy spending your hard earned dollars for those scope and you are happy, thats all that counts.  For me, it doesn't.  Heck, until I discovered the Bushnell 4200s and Sightrons SIIs I was happy using the scopes I was using.  But, the optical difference for the price was worth it, but it is not worth the difference for the euro bleeders.  The cost of these scopes go into the high cost of the euro wages.  The Japanese have made the best optics for years and Nikon cameras and their lenses have dominated the photography scene for decades.  Yea, the Hasselblads and other large formats have been used for portrait photography and some Leicas have been used in the field, but Nikon, Olympus, Canon, Pentax and Minolta optics stole the show.  So, while I love my German cars and Swiss watches, I will stick with my Japanese optics.  Swarovski, Schmidt and Bender and Zeiss, shove it.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/07/2006 at 18:07

Originally posted by Dolphin Dolphin wrote:

What I mean by nose bleeders, has nothing to do with the eye relief, but the price. 

Ah so.....

Trinidad View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trinidad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/07/2006 at 18:13
Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/07/2006 at 18:37

Dolphin wrote:

"So, while I love my German cars and Swiss watches"

I'm liking this guy more and more buy the minute!!!

Dolphin View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dolphin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/07/2006 at 19:57
No, I went to a list of hundreds of scopes.
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/07/2006 at 20:33
Originally posted by Roy Finn Roy Finn wrote:

Dolphin wrote:

"So, while I love my German cars and Swiss watches"

I'm liking this guy more and more buy the minute!!!

Did you apologize for comparing him to E?

ILya
Trinidad View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trinidad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/07/2006 at 21:24

Originally posted by Dolphin Dolphin wrote:

No, I went to a list of hundreds of scopes.

OK. Happy shooting Dolphin.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic