OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Optics > Binoculars
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

optics4birding

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baylian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: optics4birding
    Posted: November/04/2006 at 23:28

Has anyone seen the reviews on optics4birding?  Are they valid reviews? I bring this up because I brought up the Cornell Lab of Ornithology before and then I was told they were bogus.

Thanks,  TJ

Not all who wander are lost. - JRR Tolkien
lucznik View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucznik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/05/2006 at 19:57
I can't remember her name but, if I am remembering correctly, the lady that Optics4Birding has doing their reviews relies pretty heavily on the Cornell study. That's not to say that she doesn't know what she's talking about nor that her opinions are invalid but, as with all reviews from all people, take what you read with a grain of salt.
What if the hokey pokey really is what it's all about?
Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/05/2006 at 20:23
Laura Erickson
FrankD View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FrankD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/06/2006 at 08:31

I know that there was a Laura's binocular reviews at binocular.org or something similar. Is she also the one that did the reviews for optics4birding? I thought that was Michael and Diane Porter but I may be getting one confused with another.

In my opinion all of the reviews mentioned are somewhat useful in that they allow us to get a general impression of the product. However, one needs to keep in mind that the subjective nature of any given reviewer plays a huge part in the review process. In many cases what one person finds unacceptable might prove just the opposite for the next person. The Cornell review is fairly accurate with their ratings of many of the binoculars however, I disagree with a few of their ratings highly. Using forums such as this in conjunction with the various reviews posted on the net seems to me to be the most intelligent route to follow as you do get intelligent discussion over one model or another. With many review sites you are left without the ability to ask questions as to why they felt one model was clearly superior to another.

That is one reason why I love visiting this type of forum. ;)

Frank
howler View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote howler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/20/2006 at 23:53

optics4birders has the scorecard  rating system, how does all this fit together ???

I'm just wondering if the scorecard system is worth taking to heart or not.

FrankD View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FrankD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/21/2006 at 06:15
You always have to take this type of thing with a grain of salt. Almost all of the binocular reviews I have seen on the web are subjective. Very little hard data in terms of measured brightness, durability tests, etc... Still they can prove useful as many of the higher ranked bins in the various price ranges are quite satisfying to most users.
Frank
SteveO4B View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveO4B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/30/2014 at 19:07
Laura Erickson has never written reviews for Optics4Birding. She used to write for Binoculars.com.

Our reviews are written by a Ph D biochemist who is an active birder, as are all of us on the main staff.

I was probably the person who spoke the the original poster in this thread. My problem with the Cornell Ornithology Lab reviews (and I'm a Cornell grad) is that their methodology is flawed. First, not all reviewers are trained in testing optics. Next, not all reviewers review all binoculars in the same price class. This leads to gross problems. In the 2013 review, look at the differences in scores for the Vortex Viper HD 8x42 and the Eagle Optics Golden Eagle HD 8x42. The only difference in these two binoculars are the color of the rubber armoring and the logo. If you don't believe that, call Vortex and ask. Yet, the scores in all categories of testing vary greatly. The reviewers at Cornell certainly didn't look at chromatic aberration, because the results would have been much different.

Because of our position as a dealer for many brands, our reviews do not compare products between brands. We do extensive field testing, not just by the review writer, compare notes, do the physical measurements such as close focus, weight, and IPD, and come up with a list of pros and cons. If something is really bad in its price category, we just won't write a review.
Steve Sosensky
Optics4Birding
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/30/2014 at 21:06
Welcome to OT, Steve! Glad you're here!
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/01/2014 at 10:55
Welcome to the forum, Steve.

I never realized you were in Irvine.  I am in Southern California as well.

As far as Cornell reviews go, I was never a fan.  A lot of their results simply do not agree with my observations and in the end I have to trust my own set of eyeballs.

ILya
NDhunter View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NDhunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/01/2014 at 18:06

I have also followed the Cornell reviews, and they are a haphazard compilation

of over 100 binoculars by users of many different abilities with scoring that is not

typical of other reviews.  The typical top models do rise to the top, but beyond that

not much is to be gained, if one is in the market for a binocular.  Personal preference

is important, and it is just a guide only. 

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic