OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Barska Optics Reviews....

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Barska Optics Reviews....
    Posted: November/04/2006 at 09:45

Here's the SITREP.....

Evidently, Barska Optics has taken exception to my negative commentary concerning their optics.

They then contacted SWFA and requested my contact information to send me some of there products.

I said yes and they sent them right out.

I received the products yesterday through UPS/SWFA, along with a letter from the National Sales Manager/Riflescope Production Manager, Ronnie Hossain.

In short, Barska would like me to take a look at their gear and give them my opinion.

The products that were received are as follows: 

3-9x42mm Ridgeline w/ an illuminated reticle. 

20-60x60 Black Hawk spotting scope.     

The Ridgeline scope is mounted up on my beloved Remington 700 VSLH .308, aka Black Betty.

Tomorrow hopefully, I'll get to the range and get some quality time with both the rifle scope and the spotter.

I'll try to answer any questions I can if any ones interested. 

I'll also "try" to perform any tests any one would like.

The range I go to tomorrow will be a 100 yards, so I won't get to do any real clicking or anything.

http://www.riflescopes.com/products/AC10742/barska_3-9x42_ri dgeline_scope.htm

http://www.riflescopes.com/products/AD10350/barska_20-60x60_ blackhawk_spotting_scope.htm

If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
Acenturian View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Acenturian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/04/2006 at 11:49

Cheaptrick:

LOL that is interesting, post negitive comments and get selected to review their products.  Well, I for one would be interested to hear your reviews especially on the 3-9 Ridgeline. 

What I am curious is how it would stack up to say a Burris Fullfield or a Nikon Buckmaster.  While I know both scopes cost more money I have seen deals on those scopes down to $150.00. This is why I am leery on cheaper scope products when you can spend just a bit more and usually get a much better product.

Keep us posted with your opinions.

Happy shooting

AC

If You're In A Fair Fight, You Didn't Plan It Properly

- Anonymous

cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/04/2006 at 13:43
Originally posted by Acenturian Acenturian wrote:

Cheaptrick:

Well, I for one would be interested to hear your reviews especially on the 3-9 Ridgeline. 

Yes Sir.

Trinidad View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trinidad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/04/2006 at 21:21
Barska, how funny. I look foreward to your review Cheap.
ceylonc View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ceylonc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/04/2006 at 23:03

Ok, ok, THIS IS FUNNY!!!!!

What's even funnier is that I OWN the Barska 20-60x60mm spotting scope!  I bought one on a whim about a year ago from an internet vendor who was clearing them out.  I paid under $90 so I figured that it was worth a try.  Without sabatoging(sp?) your test results, I believe that you are going to be a tad disappointed with this spotting scope.  It is fine for 100-150 yds with .22 holes and ok at 200-300yds with .30 holes but is an absolute waste at finding target holes beyond that distance.  No joke, I used my IOR 35mm 6x24 to pick out .223 bullet holes in a target being shot @ 300yds because I couldn't see the holes with the spotting scope at any power!  At about 18x I could see the holes with the IOR yet couldn't see them with the spotting scope at over 40x with the Barska.  Bottom line is that lens quality & coatings mean more than magnification power at picking out details in an image...

Hey, at least you got some free stuff to sell on ebay!!!  Some extra Christmas cash will be nice...

ranburr View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ranburr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/05/2006 at 00:46

Cheaptrick, I thought you liked your rifles better than that.  Tell "Black Betty" that I'll treat her right and give her a brand new Zeiss if she comes to live with me. 

ranburr

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/05/2006 at 05:16

SVD: 

I'll try to be fair and balanced...."I report, you decide" deal. 

(I'll try to forget about the fact that "Scootz"    that started the infamous "Barska/cheaptrick" thread posing as one of the, what was it,.....ah yes, the "huddled masses"   a while ago tried to SAND BAG me on my favorite forum.)

I don't have a problem with someone, any one, disagreeing with my commentary.

BUT....

Could have PM'd me, emailed me, called me, whatever. I would have honored the confidentiality of the conversation. BUT...NOOOOOOOO. 

I shoot my mouth off a lot here, so I put my personal info (unlike you Scoot) in my profile. Everything you need to contact me confidentially. Hell, my birthday's even on there so you look up my zodiac sign if you care too. As an aside, I'm a Sagitarrius...  

C:

The spotter is....uh.....kind of...like....well, it's really... unremarkable...   

I agree with your comments that lens quality and coatings too, Bro.

Looks like the review on the spotter won't take long...(shrug)

Ranburr:

Yeah, Betty's like "WTF Dude!!"

"When we first met, you clothed me with US Optics and Super Snipers....And now....THIS?!?!?!?

"I'm leaving you!!"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/05/2006 at 05:21
Originally posted by Acenturian Acenturian wrote:

This is why I am leery on cheaper scope products when you can spend just a bit more and usually get a much better product.

Happy shooting

AC

Amen and amen, Bro.

Sound wisdom, right there.   

scubasteve View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scubasteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/05/2006 at 19:03
Put the riffle in the front mounted gun rack of an ATV and go motocrossing with it and see if it survivies and holds true. I know it seems a little harsh but would be a real world test for the way we hunt.
ATF should be the name of a convience store, not afederal agency.
silver View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/05/2006 at 19:24

Hey, at least these guys had the balls to send him a product to test  Unlike other companies...

Dude,

Test one:  Get an Edmond Scientific optical test chart get a group of people and have them help you test.  Now see who can read the chart the best and from what range in differant light conditions. 

Test Two: Do the basic zero and box tests.  Will it do the bubble test?  With the turret caps off?

Test Three:  Go to the hardware store and get a can of close out paint, Some J-B Weld, some sand, and some # 6 or 8 screws, washers and lock nuts.  Pour out a bit of the paint and add the sand in its place.  Take a Weaver scope base and attach it to the paint can lid using the screw hardwear and the J-B Weld.  Now, use the J-B Weld to help replace and secure the can lid to the can.  Remove the scope from Black Betty, and attach it to the paint can lid and secure  it best you can.  Take the scope mounted paint can back to the hardware store on a slow day.  Buy the guys in the paint section a "Coke," and have them mix the paint can for say half an hour and video tape for the rest of us    Repeat test one and two as required.

Now, how much as the zero shifted?  Will it still do the box test?  How 'bout the bubble test?

"If we weren't all crazy we, We would go insane."   Jimmie Buffet

WWW.formitch.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/06/2006 at 14:32

silver,

By "bubble" test are you suggesting under water submersion??

silver View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/06/2006 at 15:07

Yes, I am! You need to do it with the caps on and off.   

Then there is also the freezer test.  You check to see how the seals hold up after it has been cold. Tossing the thing in the freezer for a week and repeat the bubble test after it it has thawed you repeat this a  few times.  

If Madame Cheaptrick has a pressure cooker, then it could get real interesting

"If we weren't all crazy we, We would go insane."   Jimmie Buffet

WWW.formitch.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/06/2006 at 15:10
Originally posted by silver silver wrote:

Yes, I am! You need to do it with the caps on and off.   

Then there is also the freezer test.  You check to see how the seals hold up after it has been cold. Tossing the thing in the freezer for a week and repeat the bubble test after it it has thawed you repeat this a  few times.  

Damn, your funny!!

lucznik View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucznik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/08/2006 at 18:06
Originally posted by silver silver wrote:

Aren't these standard equipment for women from God? 

I know "Madame lucznik" sure has one as I've been "roasted" in it more than a few times!!

What if the hokey pokey really is what it's all about?
Smokey53119 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smokey53119 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/08/2006 at 21:04
I give Barska credit for sending you the equipment after they learned of your opinions.  Are you going to compare them to products in similar price ranges?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/09/2006 at 03:32

Originally posted by Smokey53119 Smokey53119 wrote:

I give Barska credit for sending you the equipment after they learned of your opinions.  Are you going to compare them to products in similar price ranges?

Yes and no.

I don't own any $100 scopes, so I thought I would compare the Ridgeline to "scopes I recommend", even though they may cost twice as much.

The Nikon Buckmaster and the Burris FF II, for example.

Both are hunting scopes, and both have the "minimum" features that I require for a hunting scope in the field. 

I'm not going to compare the Ridgeline to scopes that I already don't care for. Nikon Prostaff comes to mind.

I have played around a little with the Ridgeline and have formed somewhat of an opinion.

Pros:

- Good turrets.

They are low profile, metal and "seem" to be of decent quality.

The "clicks" are fairly tight and audible. 1/4" clicks.

Are they accurate/repeatable??

Don't know. Will test "hopefully" this weekend.

- Overall build is fairly robust, as well.  

Attractive, one piece design.  Comes with a sunshade. (Not needed, but OK.)

Not too heavy, but doesn't feel "cheap" either. 

(One thing I haven't done is check the tube with my calipers. Will do tonight.)  

- Interestingly, the Ridgeline has decent eye relief. Maybe at the expence of a good FOV, but decent at all power levels.

- 3-9x with a 42mm objective is good to go as well. Classic hunting power, without a mondo objective bell.  

Cons:

- With "Made in China" stamped on it, it's a little difficult for me to take this scope seriously.

I mean, with the amount of times you see the Made in China thing, you start to get the idea that they think it's a great endorsement.... 

I opened up the boxes to get the products out, and I'm almost knocked over by the "smell".

You know what I mean....That Made in China smell that accomanies all Chinese products.

Maybe it's bad egg fu young.... 

- Glass quality (you knew this was coming) is not up to that of the Nikon BM or FF II.

Will comfirm at the range with a resolution chart, but in some informal low light testing, the Ridgeline comes up short.

I noted some distortion at the very edges and picked up an ass load of "mirage" the other day while looking over a field in the early morning. The ground temp was warmer than the cold air. 

More on that later...

- I deplore cheap wire illuminated reticles. I feel they are more of a liabilty than a luxury.

I honestly haven't had time to really get into it yet in low lighting scenarios.

But I will....

More later, my friends.

Next on deck....The magnum recoil test (.338 Win mag), "box test" and lit reticle review. 

DONT TOUCH THAT DIAL.............

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/10/2006 at 15:33

Another "test" of a scope is customer service.

I had a question regarding the "reticle lock" (my term) located at the bottom of the scope turrets.

I knew what it was in theory, but wanted them to "splain it" to me....

For those that have seen an IOR and it's "Magnum Lock Support", it looked to be the same deal.

I emailed Barska's CS dept yesterday and got a pleasant response in return from a Ms. Vega.

The “Accu-lock” System; it securely locks the inner tube, allowing your accuracy to stay in place firmly.  Letting you make precise windage and elevation adjustments.  This helps the scope maintain zero and pinpoint accuracy at multiple distances.  There’s an internal spring that takes the punishment of the recoil, witch helps the scope to

I also invited Barska to participate in my review, if they cared to.

Off to the range tomorrow.......... 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/12/2006 at 05:57

OK.....

I spent some time cranking the snot out of the W/E knobs.

Probably 10 minutes on each one. No metal shavings appeared (I've seen that before) and the clicks are very audible and tight.

Went to the 100 yard range yesterday with my .308 and proven loads of 168gr. SMK's.

Mounted the Barska up on my Badger 20 MOA rail with the crappiest rings you ever saw!!

Not sure of the manufacturer, but you can get them at Walmart, and they are even "crap" by Walmarts standards... 

"Bore sighted" by looking through the bore at a target at 25 yards and clicking it in close.

Two shots, I'm dead on at 25 yards. 

@ 100 yards the scope help up very well, and I shot a couple sub moa 5 shot groups from there.

It passed the "box test" perfectly. The W/E clicks were dead nuts!

60 rounds total.

Now, I read where MM does this test a little different, and I'm certain it's better than my way. 

When I had a 100 yd zero, I then cranked the elevation knob all the way up and all the way down.

Set it back @ zero, and shot right back on my original group.

Did the same thing with the windage knob, with the same results. 

Moved over 2" up and down, each way and back. Never failed.

This scope is NOT what you might call a "tactical" scope, but it certainly performed as good as one.

Kind of a half assed review and test, but a guy at the range had a belt fed .30 caliber and I was a little distracted...  Drool mode....

Glass quality....

Either bad glass or a bad coating job, but this scopes not as good as a Buckmaster or a FF II.

Won't cut mirage and bad low light performance.

30/30 Reticle....OK, I guess.

It's kind of thick to be shooting groups with, but is OK for hunting.

I much prefer the Duplex, Niko Plex or Z Plex.

Illuminated reticle....

If this scope had better glass, you wouldn't need a lit reticle. 

Loose the illuminated reticle!! Focus on better glass quality!!

It's a "cool guy" feature that "tries" to compensate for crappy glass.

Adjustments.... 

Accurate and repeatable.

Very good for a hunting scope like this.

Much better than I thought they would be.

Fast focus (Euro style eye piece.)

I thought the ocular lens was going to fall out of the thing.

Lots of "up and down" movement and too easy to move for me. 

Too much play. 

Eye relief....

Very good at all power settings.

4" or more at lower settings, 3.5" maybe more @ 9x.  

I hold the rifle loose when I shoot off a bench and I'm a crawler, but the scope never got close to me.

Wasn't able to recoil test on a .338 Win mag. Buddy had the flu and couldn't make it.

Silver's bubble test is next up.

All in all, I still wouldn't recommend the Ridgeline to any one for any big game hunting.

I still will recommend the Nikon BM.

The lack of glass quality makes this scope a real liablity in low light encounters with big game.

In my experience, that's when I have encountered big game the most. Dawn and dusk.

Even in broad day light, the glass in this scope will look like a swimming pool if you encounter any mirage at all.

I will email this link to the Rifle Scope guy with Barska and see if he cares to come in here and comment. 

ranburr View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ranburr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/13/2006 at 14:48

Give it a real test.  Years ago I found out just how tough the old Weaver scopes were.  I was climbing up the 10 ft. ladder to my tower stand.  I opened the door and a pack of angry wasp flew into my face.  Needless to say, things didn't go well and I fell from the top of the ladder flat on my back.  Lucky for me I had a pile of W.TX rocks and my rifle (strapped across my back) to break my fall!   Did I mention that at the time I was a college football lineman weighing about 285lbs?  I figured with the fall, landing on the rocks and my body weight on top of it, that scope had to be toast (I was shocked that my stock didn't break).  I went ahead and picked a target just to see how damaged the scope was.  I was surprised to find that it still held zero.  Now that is a tough scope.  If the Barska can handle that, I would be surprised. 

ranburr 

Acenturian View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Acenturian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/13/2006 at 18:33

Cheaptrick:

Thanks for taking the time to do the evaluation of the scope.  While we could suggested dropping it out of a 25,000 ft. free fall, I doubt many hunters HALO to their deer stands  However, I think optics is a major key to recommending a scope.  Durability, and construction also play a major role. However, the thing can be built like a tank barrel but if the optics are equivalent to a soda bottle bottom I won't buy it.

Baraska should be commended for the effort to send the scopes for evaluation.  While it may be some what unfair to compare a $60.00 scope with a $200.00 scope.  I have to agree with Cheaptrick in his comparison to what is considered the minimum entry scopes (Burris FF or the Nikon Buckmaster)  this is an optics forum where people who are pretty serious (not optics snobs BIG difference) about their scopes and binoculars.  So therefore my personal opionion is that while it may seem an unfair test I think it still has meriot, since I have never seen any $60.00 scope (regardless of band) recommended to any forum member.  If someone was to ask me what they should use  in the $60.00 price range I would tell them open sights and save your money.

Just my 2 cents and thanks CT for the updates.

Happy shooting

AC

If You're In A Fair Fight, You Didn't Plan It Properly

- Anonymous

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic