OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Burris $275 "Made in Philiopines" !!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Centerfire Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Burris $275 "Made in Philiopines" !!
    Posted: November/03/2006 at 14:32

Man, I'm not happy to just receive a new Burris Fullfield ll 4.5x- 14x Ballistic plex scope and see "Made in Philiopines" on the box.

I feel like a scope that has that stamped on it ought to go for $99 -$149, and  NOT $275!! I feel like I've just been ripped off. Nobody's going to tell me that there isn't a huge profit in something manufactured in a factory located just outside the jungles there....and that this thing isn't thus overpriced!

Anybody have these newer Burris "Philiopines" scopes? I'll have to hear a lot of good testimony to change my mind and keep it. I'm tempted to send this crap back and eat about $50!!!!!  I'm not happy at all too that the picture of it doesn't have "Made in Philiopines" marked on the box. How convenient was that by the seller.....but my box happens to clearly say it!

Trinidad View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trinidad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/03/2006 at 14:47

Hello Centerfire

The feedback has been positive for the most part so far for this new series

assembled in the Phillipines. The Fullfield II Tacticals are made in the USA

and so are the higher end Burris scopes. I personally would go with the

Signature Select scopes, they have much nicer glass and features than the

Fullfield II's.

smithrjd View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smithrjd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/03/2006 at 16:06
A lot of scopes are now made "off shore" I also have a made in the Phillipines Burris FFII 4.5X14 scope. So far no complaints clear glass and a ballisticplex reticle. I paid about $20 less, and compared to some others I had seen not a bad value for the money. Where do you think Simmons, Millet, Bushnell, BSA, Leupold rifleman and others are made? China.. I believe that the glass is made in the USA and the Fullfield II are assembled in the Phillipines. I would give it a test before returning it. For now mine is a keeper.     
Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/03/2006 at 16:15
Bushnell Elite 3200's and 4200's are made in Japan by Light Optical Works.
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/03/2006 at 16:20
All Burris glass is made in Japan.

The only scopes fully made in the USA are US Optics.

Phillipine made Fullfield IIs, so far have been indistinguishable from the US made ones as far as quality goes.

ILya
CoyoteCaller View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CoyoteCaller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/03/2006 at 18:29
I have the same scope made in the Phillippines too and no complaints.  Burris has a fine product here and I really like mine......
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/03/2006 at 18:40

Why are you so upset??

Are you intentionally misspelling "Philippines" in your post?

"Philiopines", as you say, sounds like some kind kinky sex fetish.....

If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
Centerfire View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Centerfire Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/03/2006 at 20:21

OK then.....I feel better now that you guys are telling me that this scope is evidently very decent. Hearing your first hand experience with it eases my concerns.

Phillipines, China, Mexico, Burma, Pakistan, India and some other recent places of manufacture aren't genearally associated with Quality. I'd rather see Taiwan or Korea on a label before I see "Phillipines".

But, again, I like what I'm hearing from you guys....especially if the lenses are being made elsewhere.

Roy Finn......I'm not sure why you brought up the fact that the Bushnell Elites are made in Japan. I have no complaint about Japanese scopes. The Japanese have proved to be a smart and industrious people with a high standard of living that have produced some of the best optical products in the world. (The way the Germans use to be before Western Culture spoiled them too   )  I just in fact bought a Japanese Elite 4200 side focus scope last week.

Cheap Trick,

The spelling "Philiopine" was printed on the box. That too at first glance worried me as well. I said to myself " I wonder how they know how to build a scope, if they don't even know how to spell their own country properly!" 

The spelling initially looked so screwy to me that I entered "Philiopine" in Google to find that it is another way of properly spelling the Phillipines.

I appreciate your input. I

koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/03/2006 at 20:37
The only Korean made scopes I can think of right now are Swift scopes and I'll take Phillipine made Fullfield II over Swift any day.

ILya
Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/03/2006 at 20:45
A previous poster stated that Bushnell was made in China. You won't need to convince me that the Japanese build some of the very finest optics available at any price. I have 6 Elites, 4000/4200, riflescopes and I for one think that they are one of the very best scopes available in the under $500 range.
smithrjd View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smithrjd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/03/2006 at 22:13

That was my bad... The elites are indeed not Chinese. They rest of the Bushnell line I am not so sure about. I have two older Bushnell scopes and they are made in Japan. Much better than the current low price line scopes. The elites are a different scope all together. Only complaint about them is not a lot of eye relief. I have always thought of the Elite series as the old Bausch & Lomb line again different than Bushnell.

Ron       

cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/04/2006 at 03:04
Originally posted by Centerfire Centerfire wrote:

Cheap Trick,

The spelling "Philiopine" was printed on the box. That too at first glance worried me as well. I said to myself " I wonder how they know how to build a scope, if they don't even know how to spell their own country properly!" 

Roger that!!

That's funny............

If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
Centerfire View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Centerfire Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/04/2006 at 20:53

Originally posted by koshkin koshkin wrote:

The only Korean made scopes I can think of right now are Swift scopes and I'll take Phillipine made Fullfield II over Swift any day.

ILya

I have a Busnell Banner 6x-18x scope on my 22 magnum rifle that was made in Korea. It has been a great scope for the $135 I paid for it about 5 years ago or so. (yes, they can commonly be bought for less then that now)  I don't know if they are still made there. Of course, I guess alot of the quality of a scope has to do with where the lenses were made. I don't know where the lenses were produced that are in this scope. 

I also have a 6 year old Tasco 4X-16X scope on my pneumatic air rifle that was made in Japan. It is also a great scope for the $105 that I paid for it back then. I hear now that the Chinese version of this scope doesn't compare with the Japanese version that I own. I suspect that it is the lenses in the new China scopes that are inferrior. Perhaps instead if putting Japanese lenses in the new China Tasco Scopes, they are putting Chinese lenses there?

I

koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/05/2006 at 02:00
I do not know where the current Bushnell Banner scopes are made.  I always thought China, but I could be wrong. 

Your old Tasco, is that one of the early Wordl Class scopes?  Those were actually decent.  Then production moved to China and they have been crap ever since.

Either way Fullfield II is a better scope, IMO, than Banner or Japanese Tasco.

ILya
Dolphin View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dolphin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/06/2006 at 11:33

As I have noticed through many posts, that  Roy Finn and I have something we agree on strongly.  Japanese made scopes.  I too, am a great fan of the Elite 4200 series of scopes as well as the Sightron SIIs, as I am guessing is the side focus model he just purchase.  Both great scopes.  As much as I like to get a great deal for lesser money, these are the first scopes I have seen in a long time that I can easily justify shelling out the cash over the cheaper scopes as the difference is huge.  Now, where I cannot justify shelling out another 500 dollars over the price of one of these models for a euro nose bleeder, is because to my eyes the differences if any, are minor to me and not worth the money and would rather buy another Bushnell 4200 or Sightron SII.  Oh, and one more thing, I have owned many Swifts and while they are not the best, they are certainly a step up from the usual crap and have never failed me in the field.  Hit me Roy.

koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/06/2006 at 13:22
Swifts have decent glass for the money.  The Swifts that I had exhibited some waterproofing issues and had very critical eye relief.  A nice exception to that were a coupleof pistol scopes that seemed pretty rugged and clear with flexible eye relief.

ILya
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/06/2006 at 13:24
Originally posted by cheaptrick cheaptrick wrote:

Originally posted by Centerfire Centerfire wrote:

Cheap Trick,

Roger that!!

That's funny............

I looked on the box of the FFII I have.  They actually spelled it correctly, but the prinet had an issue with the cartridge.  The first "p" in a "pp" is a lot fainter than the second one, but you still see that it's a "p".

ILya
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic