OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

IOR First look

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote terry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: IOR First look
    Posted: November/03/2006 at 11:58
   Well I received my IOR 4x scope by mail this week and am also going to order a 6X after seeing the 4x I am very impressed for the money.I Had some trouble finding a IOR 4x everyone seemed to be out of stock hopefully SWFA will have the 6x model in stock when I call to  order it soon. After opening up the IOR package I found it to be well finished and strongly built. The only thing bad I could think to say is I wish ias Allum Vs steel so it would be lighter in weight even though it's not bad at aqround 14oz on any rifle. I mounted it up on my 223 cooper classic and shot it about 50 rds. The glass is super clear looks real close to my older Kahles 1.5x6x42 clarity wise if not as good. You can tell it's premium glass for sure has that ultra clear german glass looking through it. I took it out yesterday evening on the farm to look for a coyote and sit till dark to check the low light performance of the scope and with the moon I had to tell myself to go home I could still see to shot 30  minutes after dark with that moon light! Overall I would say this 4x looks to be a bargin at $299 as it compares to my top end german scopes at much less money and even if it is a touch less performance or build so what for a fraction of the price of most german built scopes.
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/03/2006 at 12:51
Glad you liked it.

I have a 6x42 IOR and I am very happy with it.

ILya
Trinidad View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trinidad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/03/2006 at 15:18

Hello Terry

The fixed 6 by IOR is a pretty nice little scope. I would also like

you to consider this new release by Meopta it has the optical and low

light advatage over the IOR. It is the new 7x56 Meopta Meostar R1

and it is priced very well here at SWFA. The only drawback is that

you will need slighly higher rings, med to high depending on the Manuf.

This is a 1' scope.

http://www.meopta.com/index.php?id=178&lang=en

http://www.riflescopes.com/products/32201Z/new_meopta_7x56_m eostar_r1_rifle_scope.htm

koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/03/2006 at 16:16
Originally posted by SVD666 SVD666 wrote:

Hello Terry

The fixed 6 by IOR is a pretty nice little scope. I would also like

you to consider this new release by Meopta it has the optical and low

light advatage over the IOR. It is the new 7x56 Meopta Meostar R1

and it is priced very well here at SWFA. The only drawback is that

you will need slighly higher rings, med to high depending on the Manuf.

This is a 1' scope.

http://www.meopta.com/index.php?id=178&lang=en

http://www.riflescopes.com/products/32201Z/new_meopta_7x56_m eostar_r1_rifle_scope.htm

Optical advantage over the IOR? Since when?

Low light? Yes, a little bit of it due to slightly higher magnification.

Optically, I'll take IOR over Meopta.

ILya
Trinidad View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trinidad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/03/2006 at 16:20

I feel that this model from Meopta has better glass than the fixed 6 IOR. I have handled both scopes and IMO

I give the optical advatage to this scope.

koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/03/2006 at 16:25
I have not seen the fixed scopes side by side.  I have been able to compare the variables and IOR was better.

Perhaps, scope to scope difference.

ILya
Trinidad View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trinidad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/03/2006 at 16:27

This could be the case, I have not spent much time with the Meostar variables yet.

The IOR variables are very nice and well worth the price IMO.

Trinidad View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trinidad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/03/2006 at 16:55

Originally posted by koshkin koshkin wrote:

I have not seen the fixed scopes side by side.  I have been able to compare the variables and IOR was better.

Perhaps, scope to scope difference.

ILya

Koshkin, I was curious to which variables from IOR and Meopta Meostar you compared.

Were the IOR variables the 35mm models.

cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/03/2006 at 17:00

Thanks for your review, Sir.

Good shooting!!

If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/03/2006 at 17:16
I was looking a 30mm versions.  35mm IOR is a actually a little better than either.

If memory serves me right I was looking at a 3-10x Meostar (could have been 3-12x, I just remember that the low end was 3x) and 2.5-10x42 IOR.  The difference is not huge, but it is there.

Interestingly, I think there was more optical difference between 1.1-4x26 IOR and 1-4x22 Meopta.  With these two though, I really liked the way Meopta implemented the illuminated reticle.

ILya
Trinidad View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trinidad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/03/2006 at 17:23

Originally posted by koshkin koshkin wrote:

I was looking a 30mm versions.  35mm IOR is a actually a little better than either.

If memory serves me right I was looking at a 3-10x Meostar (could have been 3-12x, I just remember that the low end was 3x) and 2.5-10x42 IOR.  The difference is not huge, but it is there.

Interestingly, I think there was more optical difference between 1.1-4x26 IOR and 1-4x22 Meopta.  With these two though, I really liked the way Meopta implemented the illuminated reticle.

ILya

I agree the 35MM IOR variables are great scopes and exceed the optical performance of this fixed Meostar.

I have not had a chance to see the low mag variables. The Meopta Illuminated reticle has some very nice

reviews lately. It is nice to be able to turn off the Illumination in between power settings and not have to turn

the knob all the way back.

jonbravado View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonbravado Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/07/2006 at 14:22

You can't go wrong w/ either, really -

buy the one you want - i already have the 7x56 meostar (it's great for the money, 450 or so)

my next one will be the 6x42 IOR, i am looking forward to getting this one for my 30/30.

either scope is wonderful.

good luck.

J

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic