OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Optics > Binoculars
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Olympus Magellan 10x42 EXWP I

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dolphin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Olympus Magellan 10x42 EXWP I
    Posted: November/01/2006 at 12:48
Just got in a pair of Olympus Magellan 10x42mm EXWP Is, roof prism, waterproof and fogproof at a great deal.  They are incredilble.  I have never compared them side by side with more expensive models, but have looked through most of those in sporting goods and hunting stores and these appear the equal if not better.  Again, I cannot compare side by side and with my new purchase I am obviously biased, especially since as an amateur photography, I have used mostly Olympus 35mm cameras and Nikons.  Any comments would be welcomed. Thanks.
Bird Watcher View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bird Watcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/01/2006 at 13:37
From people who own them & have reviewed them here is a quick rundown:focusing is too fast, close focus problems, suffers from coma,(coma affects the edges of the field of view & produces V-shaped blurred images).
Others thought that this was a good "entry" level binocular with bright optics.
Some thought that the overall quality was poor due to problems they experienced after owning them for a period of time.
I also was into 35mm amateur photography & I owned a number of Olympus camera bodies. Olympus made "entry" level 35mm camera bodies, as well as the top-of-the-line equipment. There IS a difference between the two.
After you have had yours for a number of months & have put them through all weather conditions come back & give us a review of your personal experiences.
Olympus has great optics, only time will tell if the housing will hold up to your specific demands & needs.
Dolphin View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dolphin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/01/2006 at 16:21
A preliminary look throught binos, reveal no distortion whatsoever at close up or far distances, the color is perfect, without any obious aberration and the unit appears very rugged.  Also, made in Japan, which is reassuring to me.  I plan on hunting with it this season, as I was not satisfied whatsoever with the Nikon Action Binos I used last year, albeit, much cheaper and side by side, there is no comparison.  Also, waithing on a pair of the Olympus Pathfinder 12x52mm EXP Is (porro prisms).  Another, great buy, great view, when tried in a store, but not waterproof.  Will see.
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bird Watcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/01/2006 at 16:34
I agree with your observation about Nikon Action binoculars. I purchased one this year & sold it after three months because I was not satisfied with the optics under the conditions I was using them for.
FrankD View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FrankD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/02/2006 at 13:29
I, too, would be interested to hear more about the Olympus models. I have seen some local birders toting them around but never gave a thought to looking through them. Beyond that and seeing a few of them at one of the local camera stores I rarely see them or notice them mentioned. Are these phase coated?
Frank
Dolphin View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dolphin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/02/2006 at 14:25
According to the Olympus literature, they are phase coated.  I am telling you they are great.  I don't know about you guys.  But, where I hunt in NC, there are those occaisional guys, rarely, with a Swarovski rifle scope, most with inexpensive model, alot with vxII leupold rarely a vxII and almost all with cheapo binos at easily less than 100 dollars.  I have never seen anyone using the binos discussed here at these prices.  At the price I paid for this pair, 183, I have no qualms and as I have said, they compare favorably to everything else I have looked at.  What, I would like to call for with binos and riflescopes, is testing, as they do with cameras and lenses and blind testing and see what peope have to say when they do not know if they are holding an 800 pair of binos or rifle scope.  I am just the opposite.  If I am holding one that cost that much, I am trying to find every reason to justify the cost and find every fault that I can, since the technology exists, that a rifle scope or binos should not have to cost that much.
FrankD View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FrankD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/03/2006 at 07:52
Thanks for the info. You have now convinced me to at least go and check these out. They have to be quite a bargain for that price considering they are phase coated. If you are suggesting them that highly I would have a hard time believing the optics are "bad". Have you compared them with any of the more popular phase coated roofs at the $300 price point?
Frank
Dolphin View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dolphin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/03/2006 at 08:30
I have looked through alot of the extremely expensive models, as previously noted, in sporting goods stores and hunting stores and while I have not compared them side by side, my assessment is that I could not discern any significant difference, that would make me want to spend 500 dollars or more for a slight incremental benefit that would never make a difference in my uses, primarily hunting.  I know that I will have people say the light gathering capabilities are going to be superior and that I will be able to hunt later, but I always eschew those who say this, especially with rifle scopes as there are legal limits and I have seen to many deer taken in near darkness with cheap scopes and if there is no ambient light, I am sorry, it cannot be transmitted.  Ok, they are going to tell you about the moon, etc, but my previous points are valid.
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/03/2006 at 17:43
Originally posted by Dolphin Dolphin wrote:

I have looked through alot of the extremely expensive models, as previously noted, in sporting goods stores and hunting stores and while I have not compared them side by side, my assessment is that I could not discern any significant difference, that would make me want to spend 500 dollars or more for a slight incremental benefit that would never make a difference in my uses, primarily hunting.  I know that I will have people say the light gathering capabilities are going to be superior and that I will be able to hunt later, but I always eschew those who say this, especially with rifle scopes as there are legal limits and I have seen to many deer taken in near darkness with cheap scopes and if there is no ambient light, I am sorry, it cannot be transmitted.  Ok, they are going to tell you about the moon, etc, but my previous points are valid.

I really think you should try to compare a few binoculars outside in the field, preferably around sunset.  Looking at optics in store lighting is pretty useless, I am afraid.

ILya
Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/03/2006 at 18:12
I didn't know Eremicus had a brother.
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/03/2006 at 19:28
Originally posted by Roy Finn Roy Finn wrote:

I didn't know Eremicus had a brother.

That's not a nice thing to say, Roy.

ILya
Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/03/2006 at 19:56
Sorry, just had a familar ring when someone speaks of riflescope brightness and legal hunting hours. Usually ends with that type of anology regarding good eough.
Dolphin View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dolphin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/03/2006 at 21:56

Again, I figured I would get these inane comments regarding scope brightness and calrity and how superior the nose bleed scopes are comparitively.  I presently own and have shot probably 30 or more different bold action hunting rifles and know exterior ballastics inside out having extensive education in physics, statics, hydrodymaics and optics.  The laws of diminshing returns apply to optics as well as any consumer based product.  I have yet to see any blinded testing of rifle scopes and I will guarentee you that the high dollar manufactures will not want to fund those trials.  When scopes like the Bushnell Elite 4200s, Sightron SIIs, Burris Fullfield IIs and Nikon Monarchs exist for reasonable prices and provide the equal to the nose bleed euros, why buy that overpriced trash, that costs as much as it does because of European labor cost.  Lets not only see blind testing, but optics testing as in camera lenses.  As I said, where I hunt, it is rare to find people shooting with the nose bleed scopes, but if you read these forum notes, every one has one or wants one.  I have shot with Simmons Aetecs, the old model, never had a problem, even in low light.  Swifts, great scopes for the money.  Fujinon, great Japanese scope.  Some older Tascos, the Japanese made models.  Nikko Stirling, very reasonable, although the optics are a tad behind the others.  Mueller, great optics with some querks to the elevation dial, but still reapeatable and accurate.  I avoid super large objectives for the obvious reasons of limitation of elevation, inability to low profile the scope, depth of field is superior and most importantly (getting back to the so called brighter scopes) the human eye can only take advantage of some much of the increased brightness available.  The analogy is that it take double the output of an amplifier to increase the speaker output by 3db, when the human ear is only capable of detecting a 2db difference.  The same sort of principle applies to the human eye.  I personally could afford to put a Swarovski on every rifle I own, to include a large collection of Wbys, Remingtons, Savages, Rugers, Parker Hales, Marlins, Howas and Customs.  When I look at a nose bleed scope or binocular, I do the opposite of most people.  Instead of having a testosterone surge and think how great my buddies will think I am with this bad boy on my 500 dollar rifle, I look for every fault I can with that piece of equipment and why it is not worth the money.  Usually, I can find sufficient reasons why, it is way over priced.  Yes I have looked through them all at sporting good stores, outside and yes they look great.  I am sure they take recoil well.  But so does my Simmons Aetec (the old model) which I have shot for years (several) on my Howa 300winmag without losing zero.  Now here is where I get the response I got lucky with this scope, but I have several others that have performed flawlessly.  After all, SWFA sells them, so the must have at least a decent reputation.  I have been shooting since I was a kid and mount my own scope.  I know I am going to get a flurry of responses from the arrogant know it alls who refuse to be open mined.  I at least agree that the nose bleed scopes are good.  Will see.

Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/03/2006 at 22:42
I was right.
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/03/2006 at 23:28
I think you were, Roy.  Although I sense a little of Dale also, not just Eremicus.

Dolphin, just out of curiosity, could you elaborate a little more about your education? 

As a general disclaimer, the bulk of the optics I own are various mid-range scopes along the lines of Elite 4200, et al.  You do get into dimishing returns with optics, like with anything else.  However, diminishing returns are still returns.  While you do not get as much per dollar, you still get more overall.  As much as I like my Elite 4200 and Sightron SII scopes, they are still not the equal of Schmidt and Bender.  Whether that is worth the money is a personal choice.  For me it is usually not, for some others it is.

ILya
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bird Watcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/04/2006 at 01:11
Could he repeat that, only a little S L O W E R next time?

Dolphin View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dolphin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/04/2006 at 08:01

First off, these are the replies that I expected, flippant comments, without substance, except for one that I do agree with strongly.  It is a matter of choice and whatever makes you happy, you should buy that product and I am not argueing that point at all.  As far as my education, I am a cardiologist who attended a strong enginerring undergraduate school that required two semesters of calculus based physics and I took level 3 as an elective.  As far as the other courses they were either required or I also took them as electives, just for my own interest.  Yes, I may have been a nerd, but at the same time, graduating suma cum laude, I had attended more parties, met more girls and drank more than my share than the so called non-nerds, so I would say I was well rounded.  That point made without trying to brag.

Now, getting back to the subject at hand.  Obviously I know that looking through binos inside of a store is not the same. duh.  What I want to know, are you guys willing to let SWFA, set up a blind testing of multiple scopes, so that the users do not know what they are looking through and shooting with.  Yes, I know it would be somewhat difficult, but could be done.  In my world, blind testing is done for everything and pure subjectivity does not cut it.  Not only that, I would like to see an optic professional association test the scopes, blinded for clarity, brightness, sharpness/resolution, chromatic aberration, color rendition, fringing, depth of field, distortion, edge vignetting, eye relief, white out and ease of viewing through the scope and accuracy of elevation and windage at all power levels and then put them again blindly throught a toughness test, say a 460 Wby.  Anybody game?

Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/04/2006 at 09:11
Welcome back, rootmanslim.
Dolphin View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dolphin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/04/2006 at 09:51
From that comment, it is obvious you are not willing to put your nose bleed rifle scopes up to any blind testing/challenge.  Spend your money as you wish and be happy and I will do the same and shoot as many or more deer than you.
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/04/2006 at 12:15
Originally posted by Dolphin Dolphin wrote:

First off, these are the replies that I expected, flippant comments, without substance, except for one that I do agree with strongly.  It is a matter of choice and whatever makes you happy, you should buy that product and I am not argueing that point at all.  As far as my education, I am a cardiologist who attended a strong enginerring undergraduate school that required two semesters of calculus based physics and I took level 3 as an elective.  As far as the other courses they were either required or I also took them as electives, just for my own interest.  Yes, I may have been a nerd, but at the same time, graduating suma cum laude, I had attended more parties, met more girls and drank more than my share than the so called non-nerds, so I would say I was well rounded.  That point made without trying to brag.

Now, getting back to the subject at hand.  Obviously I know that looking through binos inside of a store is not the same. duh.  What I want to know, are you guys willing to let SWFA, set up a blind testing of multiple scopes, so that the users do not know what they are looking through and shooting with.  Yes, I know it would be somewhat difficult, but could be done.  In my world, blind testing is done for everything and pure subjectivity does not cut it.  Not only that, I would like to see an optic professional association test the scopes, blinded for clarity, brightness, sharpness/resolution, chromatic aberration, color rendition, fringing, depth of field, distortion, edge vignetting, eye relief, white out and ease of viewing through the scope and accuracy of elevation and windage at all power levels and then put them again blindly throught a toughness test, say a 460 Wby.  Anybody game?

Interesting.

What was that undergraduate institution, if you do not mind me asking?  Did you by chance happen to take any optics classes? or have you had an oppotrunity to be involved in any sort of optics manufacturing?

One of the things I've done is have people with reasonable understanding op optics, but zero knowledge of binoculars and scopes look through stuff in different light.  Usually we would look at various resolution charts.  Do you think it is a reasonable test?

ILya
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic